49 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>
kowalskil
United States
Joined 4983 days ago

5 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 49
25 September 2010 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Does being multilingual help or hinder our intellectual development? I met many people who believe that
learning foreign languages helped them. But that has not been my experience.

My first language was Polish--my father and mother spoke Polish at home. That was in Moscow, before my
father was arrested in 1938, when I was 7 years old. After that it became Russian, even with my mother. In 1944
it became Polish again-- in a Polish orphanage near Moscow, and in Warsaw, where I lived between 1946 and
1957. Then it became French, for seven years. And it has been English, since 1964.

Language and thinking are interconnected; they are probably part of the same thing. I rarely have a chance to
speak other languages I know; my wife and daughter are American born. But several days ago I started reading
something in Polish, for about two hours. After that I started making spelling mistakes, such as "jes" instead of
"yes," "Moskow" instead of "Moscow," and "Wladimir" instead of "Vladimir."

I am fluent in French and English but my vocabulary, in each of these languages, is limited. What I know was
100% sufficient in my professional work (to teach and to conduct research in physics). But it is not sufficient to
appreciate poetry, or to read some books. Limited vocabulary means limited thinking ability. That is what I think,
on the basis of my experience.

Ludwik Kowalski,

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 49
25 September 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Why are you complaining about limited vocabulary in your 3rd and 4th languages? If you were not multilingual, you wouldn't have any vocabulary in French or English. You would have spent your entire life through Russian or Polish, and you would not be able to work in an American university.

Your multilingualism let you choose your own path -- I can't see how that hurt you.

Edited by Keith on 26 September 2010 at 12:57pm

16 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5107 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 3 of 49
25 September 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
I can't see how that hurt you.

His natural development in Polish was interrupted when he was seven. Six years of Russian have not made him a new Pushkin. And he clearly writes about his limitations in English and French.
I can see how it hurts him.

(As a side note: whenever I read about people trying to educate their children in Esperanto or Latin just for the sake of an ideological polyglottism I have dark thoughts similar to what Mr. Kowalski describes. In his case it was fate which guided the process, a different matter, of course.)
9 persons have voted this message useful

kowalskil
United States
Joined 4983 days ago

5 posts - 16 votes

Message 4 of 49
25 September 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Why are you complaining about limited vocabulary in your 3rd and 4th languages? If you
were not multilingual, you wouldn't have any vocabulary in French or English. You would have spent your
entire life through Russian or Polish, and you would not be able to work in an American university.

Your multilingualism let you chose your own path -- I can't see how that hurt you.

For example, not being able to appreciate poetry. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I switched
to French when I was 25, and to English when I was 33. I did not study these languages systematically above the
introductory level. The rest came from being immersed. I am not complaining; I am sharing what I think--
limited vocabulary means limited thinking ability. That topic is worth discussing.

Ludwik Kowalski,

8 persons have voted this message useful

fireflies
Joined 4990 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 49
25 September 2010 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
You could always study a bit of vocabulary in the language you would like to know better. Maybe you could take a language course since you are at a college.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5575 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 49
25 September 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Interference in spelling is something you have to blame on English orthography, not on your lack of skills.
Also, your feeling of being hurt by being multilingual, it sounds like it's mostly an attitude problem. I just picked up reading Poe, you see. I do understand his tales, but there are many words and word usages I have never encountered before, some which I have to guess and others I simply don't understand. But, you see - those tales are more than 150 years old, written in a language that is not my own, written by a man who lived in a world I do not know. It's a wonderful adventure to learn to understand them, to understand the customs of his time, the world view that might reveal itself! Of course I feel a bit ashamed that I have to acknowledge that he is a challenge for me, I'd rather be more intelligent and knowledgeable ...
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 49
25 September 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
kowalskil wrote:
For example, not being able to appreciate poetry.

The vast majority of the population don't like poetry.
6 persons have voted this message useful

kowalskil
United States
Joined 4983 days ago

5 posts - 16 votes

Message 8 of 49
25 September 2010 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Interference in spelling is something you have to blame on English orthography, not on your lack
of skills.
Also, your feeling of being hurt by being multilingual, it sounds like it's mostly an attitude problem. I just picked
up reading Poe, you see. I do understand his tales, but there are many words and word usages I have never
encountered before, some which I have to guess and others I simply don't understand. But, you see - those tales
are more than 150 years old, written in a language that is not my own, written by a man who lived in a world I do
not know. It's a wonderful adventure to learn to understand them, to understand the customs of his time, the
world view that might reveal itself! Of course I feel a bit ashamed that I have to acknowledge that he is a
challenge for me, I'd rather be more intelligent and knowledgeable ...

And going to a dictionary, each time an unfamiliar word is encountered, is a burden. It interrupts the process in
which we are engaged. Fortunately, as you confirm, we often can guess from the context.

Ludwik Kowalski,

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version