Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
49 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>
fireflies
Joined 4991 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 33 of 49
01 October 2010 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
I just tried Google translate and I am impressed. The hover feature is very useful. The last Kindle had an English dictionary feature built into it that is similar. I wonder if the new ones have alternate dictionaries available in them. They said the goal was to have any book in any language.
1 person has voted this message useful

aarontp
Groupie
United States
Joined 5077 days ago

94 posts - 139 votes 

Message 34 of 49
02 October 2010 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Faraday wrote:
Juаn wrote:

I would take issue with the assertion that learning a language is lacking in
intellectual content. First, we give
shape
to our thoughts through language, so to learn a new one is to acquire a whole new
perspective, in the case of
very
foreign languages even a new intellectual architecture. Second, to really learn a
language one needs to read its
literature and thought, and through this to become acquainted with its society,
religion, philosophy, art, science,
scholarship... a more intellectual task being hard to conceive.

In learning any language, many hours are spent on reading, listening to, and parroting
mundane phrases of little
intrinsic value. To me, at least, that's a distinct opportunity cost. It's time that
could be spent learning maths,
studying music, or exploring literature in one's native language. Obviously I find the
tradeoff worthwhile, and I
wouldn't be posting here if I didn't think so. But it is nevertheless a tradeoff.

I know that posting this in a language forum will irk some people, but I do think that
we have to be vigilant
about our prejudices and blindspots.

The time spent studying foreign languages is time that could be spent on other
worthwhile activities; no doubt. Though I don't think that the tedious or mundane
aspects of learning a language reduce its intellectual worth. I think this is true of
nearly all intellectual pursuits. When I studied math and physics, I spent innumerable
hours repeating variations of problems that I already understood. I think this is true
of all or nearly all intellectual pursuits. There are hurdles to understanding, such
as memorization of basic formulas or concepts, which can not be overcome without
tedious repetition. At least for us normal folks, the geniuses among us seem to
get by with very little memorization or mundane repetition, but I imagine they still
need to do some.

Edited by aarontp on 02 October 2010 at 4:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 4983 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Studies: German

Message 35 of 49
02 October 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
aarontp wrote:

The time spent studying foreign languages is time that could be spent on other
worthwhile activities; no doubt. Though I don't think that the tedious or mundane
aspects of learning a language reduce its intellectual worth. I think this is true of
nearly all intellectual pursuits. When I studied math and physics, I spent innumerable
hours repeating variations of problems that I already understood. I think this is true
of all or nearly all intellectual pursuits. There are hurdles to understanding, such
as memorization of basic formulas or concepts, which can not be overcome without
tedious repetition. At least for us normal folks, the geniuses among us seem to
get by with very little memorization or mundane repetition, but I imagine they still
need to do some.

I agree with you, aarontp, I have always thought of language learning, at least as a second language and not been exposed to it as a child, as an intellectual pursuit. I personally think it helps to make someone smarter.

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6282 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 36 of 49
02 October 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
carlonove wrote:
Google Translate has virtually destroyed the argument that looking up unknown words takes too long. It can translate isolated (and inflected) words and many phrases accurately enough, and near-instantaneously if you're using the mouse-over application in a web browser

No. Google Translate is garbage, even using it as a dictionary. Now, if we were to talk about a real mouseover dictionary tool, such as Rikaichan for Japanese, I would agree with you.

Ichiro
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6019 days ago

111 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Malay

Message 37 of 49
02 October 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
AeOeUe wrote:
The problem with multilingualism is that you may never achieve the same level in any of your languages as other people do in their one native language.

I disagree with this. I've got friends who escaped to their current national homes, English-speaking countries, at the ages of 8 and 12 (different families, different countries) and who now speak native, creative English. One uses her native Russian with difficulty, but the other is perfect in his. So it's quite possible to be multilingual to native levels, but it's a balance of your personal aptitudes, desires and opportunities.

AeOeUe wrote:
It is also true, and has been shown in various studies, that the use of English as an international language conveys a huge advantage on native English speakers.

This is like complaining that some countries have bigger reserves of natural resources than others, or a larger population, or more access to the sea, or a less miserable climate. We all do the best with what we've got. Anyway, in the words of Helmut Kohl, if I'm selling I'll speak to you in English, but if I'm buying, denn muessen sie Deutsch sprechen.

kraemder wrote:
I have little to no trouble understanding someone who is speaking English as a 2nd language and I think I do a very good job of making myself easy to understand. I can't see how a non native speaker would ever have an advantage over me when speaking English. If they communicate better than me it's because they're smarter, not because they learned English later in life.

I'm fully in agreement with this, though. I work with a whole bunch of Indians, who are probably not reading Shakespeare at home in the original** but who are able to tell me very well what they want or what they have done. Maybe I wouldn't express myself exactly as they do, but if I spent my time picking holes in their grammar, we would not have a very fruitful relationship, and I doubt I would last in my position.

** Although I hear that Tamil has a rich and powerful literary history spanning many hundreds of years.

I do not understand what the original poster is complaining about. Here he is telling me in perfect written English that his English isn't good enough. His multilingualism allows him to do so. If I read his dates right, he didn't get to France until he was 26 and to the US until he was 33. He complains that having picked up these additional national languages at these advanced ages, he doesn't feel on a par with native speakers. Well, despite my comments above, I'm not surprised. But he's clearly not doing badly. Better than I did in Japanese.

Far from harming him, his multilingualism has enabled him to live a satisfactory middle-class life, teaching and researching physics. What does he want? Should his university colleagues and students have learnt Polish? What should they do when a chemistry expert turns up there in the US from Lithuania? If he's not perfect in Polish either, then I agree it's very sad for him, but that's hardly a problem with multilingualism per se, rather a sad side-effect of the unsettled background he was born into. He should be complaining about Stalin, not the global dominance of English.

carlonove
United States
Joined 5796 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 38 of 49
02 October 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
carlonove wrote:
Google Translate has virtually destroyed the argument that looking up unknown words takes too long. It can translate isolated (and inflected) words and many phrases accurately enough, and near-instantaneously if you're using the mouse-over application in a web browser

No. Google Translate is garbage, even using it as a dictionary. Now, if we were to talk about a real mouseover dictionary tool, such as Rikaichan for Japanese, I would agree with you.

Like I said, it varies from language to language, maybe the Japanese translations are horrible. When I've cross-checked GT translations with Wiktionary and other online dictionaries they're almost always correct, and when it makes mistakes they're blatantly obvious. I don't know why GT isn't "mouseover dictionary" enough for you, but the other mouseover programs I've tried to use are so cumbersome or slow that I might as well go to an online dictionary site and type words in manually.

Sorry to distract from the OT.

Edited by carlonove on 02 October 2010 at 11:20pm

fireflies
Joined 4991 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 

Message 39 of 49
04 October 2010 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
Ichiro wrote:
If he's not perfect in Polish either, then I agree it's very sad for him, but that's hardly a problem with multilingualism per se, rather a sad side-effect of the unsettled background he was born into. He should be complaining about Stalin, not the global dominance of English.

Who would want to have to abandon what would have been your native language under those circumstances? The story about his father was very sad but he seems to have done extremely well despite his difficult start.     

Edited by fireflies on 04 October 2010 at 7:07am

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6257 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 40 of 49
04 October 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
carlonove wrote:

It does work as a real mouse-over tool in a web browser. What's your complaint?

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version