44 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 25 of 44
01 October 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Cesare M. wrote:
Well, Sum face video aut sum in un video loqui omni lingue podo loqui. Sum non satis bonus loqui latin in video.

Caesari cum Cesare colloquenti verba difficillima et adhuc inaudita certe viderentur.
3 persons have voted this message useful

cmj
Octoglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5141 days ago

58 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Arabic (classical), Latin, Italian

Message 26 of 44
02 October 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Cesare M. wrote:
Well, Sum face video aut sum in un video loqui omni lingue podo loqui. Sum non satis bonus loqui latin in video.

Latin translation: I did a video and in the video I speak all the languages I can speak, and I don't speak Latin very well in the video.

I'm sorry, I don't know who you are and I really don't mean to be rude, but this "Latin" is completely nonsensical. Literally (and I do mean literally) almost every single word is incorrect.

"Sum" means "(I) am" not the pronoun "I" (which would be "ego"); "face" (the abl. of "fax" "torch") should be "feci" ("I made"); "video" if that is indeed the correct neo-latin term (any living Latinists here?) should be in the accusative, likely "videonem"; "aut" means "or" not "and"; "un"- there are no articles in Latin and if there were "video" would take a definite article rather than an indefinite one; "all languages" would be "omnes linguas"; "podo" should be "possum"; etc... etc....

Never mind fluency, this doesn't rise above the level you would attain by spending an hour on the first chapter of an introductory Latin book.

Edited by cmj on 02 October 2010 at 12:05am

22 persons have voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6763 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 27 of 44
02 October 2010 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
I never thought I would be asking this question (not even last week), but it seems that
my appetite for languages is expanding, especially where the regional similarities
carry over into neighboring languages. Italian is a lot of fun, and I'm pretty
confident that I'll start learning French within a year. Meanwhile I've already browsed
around and found some books on similarities between Romance languages that I'm probably
going to get in the near future. I also find it fun to see how the various italic
dialects look like offshoots from Italian (Corsican), French (Piedmontese) and Spanish
(Sardinian) and I'm guessing Latin (in the case of Friulian).

Anyway, while in the neighborhood and so on, right?

So that's where my question comes from. I don't really know anything about Latin and
I've never had the impulse to study a dead language before. So I'm wondering what you
can get out of it. What can you do with it? What do the people who know Latin do for
fun?

You are right with Corsican-Italian ( mutually intelligibilty 90%)
Piedmontese 50/50 Italian-French
With Sardinian you are wrong - Sardinian is the closest language to classic Latin
Only in Alghero they speak a version of Catalan that is understable in Barcellona

There are Spanish-castillan words in almost every Italian dialect in the regions where Spain ruled. To me the Venetian is the most similar to Spanish and the Genoa-Ligurian is close to portuguese .( they make also humour songs in genoese-brasilian mix)

There are people that studies latin for fun , but the modern latin , Interligua is better in that sense, because is understandable for the majority of romance-languages-speakers without studiyng it. www.interlingua.com
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6075 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 28 of 44
02 October 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
My Latin is limited, but I get a kick out of going to a museum and being able to partly decipher a Latin inscription that was probably carved about 2,000 years ago.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6273 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 29 of 44
02 October 2010 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
vilas wrote:
There are people that studies latin for fun , but the modern latin ,
Interligua is better in that sense, because is understandable for the majority of
romance-languages-speakers without studiyng it. www.interlingua.com

If you're looking to communicate with Romance language speakers, Latin is the wrong
choice. For that, Interlingua works, though if you study ANY out of
Italian/Spanish/Portuguese/Catalan you can communicate with other Romance language
speakers just as well as if you had studied Interlingua.

The thing is, Interlingua does not magically give you access to Roman literature, or even
Latin sentences. None of the modern languages do, they are all too far off. Hence, it's a
moot point to advertise for Interlingua here.
5 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6275 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 30 of 44
02 October 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
cmj wrote:
Cesare M. wrote:

Latin translation: I did a video and in the video I speak all the languages I can speak, and I don't speak Latin very well in the video.

I'm sorry, I don't know who you are and I really don't mean to be rude, but this "Latin" is completely nonsensical. Literally (and I do mean literally) almost every single word is incorrect.

I'm afraid I have to agree with cmj here. I noticed you rewrote your sentence and it's still full of mistakes (though not as many as before):

Caesare M. wrote:
Ego feci videonem aut in video loqui omnes linguas ego
possum loqui. Ego unloqui Latin satis bonus in video.

"Aut" means "or", not "and". You're not using the ablative of "video" after "in". If we accept "videonem" as the accusative, then the ablative would be "videone". You didn't conjugate "loqui" at all. The relative clause lacks a relative pronoun. You don't negate a Latin verb by prepending "un-". "Bonus" is not an adverb. Finally, using "ego" with every verb sounds ridiculous; subject pronouns are only used for clarity or emphasis, which is warranted none of the three times you used it.

I'm sorry, but I really would suggest that you not make boastful claims like "I learned Latin in an hour!" when this is the kind of stuff you produce. Your Latin is pretty much on par with what I'd expect an ordinary person who studied Latin for an hour to produce. (I've studied it here and there for a year and a half and I'm still not good with it.) If this is how you write it, I very strongly doubt you can read it, either -- certainly not "fluently".

I also would suggest you take off that ridiculously long list of languages you "speak" in your profile if this is your idea of "speaking" a language. It's frankly a bit insulting to those of us who put actual effort into learning a language before putting it on our "speaks" list.

- Kef

Edited by furrykef on 02 October 2010 at 5:38pm

15 persons have voted this message useful

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6107 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 31 of 44
03 October 2010 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
I completely agree with furrykef. I have been studying Spanish for quite some time now yet I wouldn't dare putting it in my "Speaks" list yet.

@Cesare: Out of curiosity I watched some of your videos. Don't take this personally, but I think you need some work to be able to say that you "speak" those languages. Your French and Spanish at least are quite difficult to understand. When I did understand what you said I could spot obvious grammatical mistakes; wrong tense, incorrect usage, English numbers in Spanish sentences (WTF?). You seem to have a hard time finding words (which is OK if you're learning) but then you slur sentences as if trying to make up for the lack of vocabulary by speaking fast. Usually, a language learner having trouble getting his point across should try to slow down instead of speeding up.

7 persons have voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6763 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 32 of 44
03 October 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Dear Numerodix to test the similarity of the Italian dialects to other languages , copy a sentence of these dialects and put it in a language identifier that you can find in internet . Maybe these identifiers are not scientifically perfect but they are not so bad...

http://www.lexicool.com/language-identifier-guesser.asp?IL=2

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version