New Zealand
Joined 5354 days ago

10 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 9 of 12
22 November 2010 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
At the risk of being accused of being a shill, I can't resist recommending the
resources published by Coscom. Try the Japanese@once CD-rom or the online course called
"building up conversation". All the dialogues they teach have audio and are well acted.
Also their explanations are clear and to the point. I really enjoy studying when using
their resources an experience that, to be honest, I've never had with any other
language learning materials. I only wish there was something equivalent in other
languages such as Spanish. Hell if I had the money I would hire someone to make a CD-
rom on Spanish verbs modeled on the Coscom japanese verbs CD and then I would sell it
and make a fortune.

Assimil Japanese is not bad. Honestly I would forget about Michel Thomas. Michel
Thomas, Assimil, Pimsleur etc get talked about a lot on this forum, but in my opinion
when it comes to Japanese better resources are available. Having said that if you
already have access to those materials there is no harm in listening to the Pimsleur
Japanese CDs etc

Edited by AntonioJBrown on 23 November 2010 at 9:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Yashinka
Diglot
Pro Member
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5019 days ago

29 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 12
22 November 2010 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I'm just going to keep encourage new learners of japanese to give japanesepod101.com a good try, they got a
broad range of levels of material from beginner to upper intermediate, and culture classes and simply invaluable
lessons on japanese idioms and expressions that i'm currently working my way through, didn't get any chance to be
introduced to those by my teachers in Japan, but they are highly practical.

3Dfan
United States
Joined 4950 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 11 of 12
02 December 2010 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Lexii wrote:
I just purchased a 2-CD set called Listen & Learn Japanese and I love it! It is probably one of the most no-frills, bare-boned study-aids I own but I think it's going to do exactly what it sets out to do. That is, it will help me practice speaking Japanese.

Here's the format: Sentence, phrase or word spoken in English. Exact same sentence, phrase or word spoken in Japanese (slightly slower than normal speed). A little space for you to repeat.

That's it. No explanations, no introductions, no grammar instruction, nothing. Just listen and repeat (or shadow, if you can). There are over 50 tracks (examples: Social Conversation, Personal Matters, Making Yourself Understood, Hotel, Cafe, etc.) and none of them build on the others, so you can listen in any order that pleases you.

The set claims to contain 700 elements (sentences, phrases, words). It also includes a little booklet with all the elements written in English, Japanese (kanji and kana, handwritten font) and romaji. The book *does* contain a few pages of intro, including pronunciation help. I think the booklet will be helpful for cross-checking to make sure I heard properly.

At first, I was skeptical about not having any real "instruction" but once I realized what the goal was, it seemed brilliant. And, at $12USD, it was quite reasonable. Coupled with other texts to learn grammar and increase vocab, I think this is a valuable addition to my study collection. Perhaps it will help you, too!

It claims to contain over 700. In fact, it contains 831 entries.

I have that and the similar Learn in Your Car Japanese tapes. I think learn in your car has better sound quality and more pleasing voices, but the Listen and Learn set is certainly worth having.

My plan is to use the recording to get the pronunciation and rhythm of spoken Japanese, and then follow it up with the Cortina Conversational Japanese text.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5935 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 12 of 12
02 December 2010 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
I got 'learn in your car' as a gift, and I thought it felt like they had converted a generic list of English sentences to Japanese.   Just seemed a little odd, is all.

learnjapanesepod.com -- I find myself enjoying this podcast quite a bit. Ir doesn't cover a lot of Japanese -- it's mostly English, but, I find it sort of relaxing and fun just to hear them chat about life in Japan.

japanesepod101.com -- for having intermediate level. I download from iTunes and listen only.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version