United States
Joined 6407 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 1 of 19
05 October 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys,

As usual, we have had frequent discussions on this board as to what it means to be fluent. Frequently, the CEFR/CEFRL (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) has been mentioned as a guide, with many saying that B2 is basic fluency and C2 is advanced fluency.

A few minutes ago, I stumbled upon an excellent resource from Cambridge University that actually gives video examples of individuals speaking English at the various skill levels (A2-C2).
Examples of speaking performance at CEFR levels A2-C2

In most cases they actually have 2 people at each skill level. This was quite informative for me, because although I have read the descriptions of the different levels I have never SEEN and HEARD those levels demonstrated. The fact that it was in English was even more beneficial to me. I hope you guys enjoy the videos.

Please check out the video of the individuals speaking at a C1+/C2 level. The woman from Lativa who spoke at a C2 level blew my mind! Maybe it is because I am American and don't get some of the subtleties of the British accent, but If I met this woman on the street I would have ZERO clue that she wasn't from the UK unless she told me.
14 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5177 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 19
05 October 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link! My Japanese tutor used the Cambridge examples to evaluate my level in Japanese, but I'd lost track of the link.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 19
05 October 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
mcjon77 wrote:
The woman from Lativa who spoke at a C2 level blew my mind! Maybe it is because I am American and don't get some of the subtleties of the British accent, but If I met this woman on the street I would have ZERO clue that she wasn't from the UK unless she told me.

You're right - she's awesome. Just imagine sounding that good in your own target languages! :)

Edited by Teango on 05 October 2010 at 8:05pm

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5015 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 4 of 19
05 October 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Just imagine sounding good in your own language though she does have a slight non UK touch..... could I identify it. Erm no not really.

Now all we need to find are sample in other languages......

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5244 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 5 of 19
05 October 2010 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:

Now all we need to find are sample in other languages......

Exactly! I'd love to see something like this for Spanish.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 19
06 October 2010 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
This is a very helpful tool for seeing what each level actually looks and sounds like. Does anyone know of something similar, but showing samples of writing composed by people at each level, and examples of things you should be able to read or understand (listening) for a given level?

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5244 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 7 of 19
06 October 2010 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
examples of things you should be able to read or understand (listening) for a given level?

You can find it here for Spanish DELE and here for
Russian TRKI. (sorry, no listening files for Russian, just
transcripts)
I would also be very happy to see examples of writings that pass levels B2-C2 for these languages.
5 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5846 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 8 of 19
06 October 2010 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
mcjon77 wrote:
Hi guys,

As usual, we have had frequent discussions on this board as to what it means to be fluent. Frequently, the CEFR/CEFRL (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) has been mentioned as a guide, with many saying that B2 is basic fluency and C2 is advanced fluency.

A few minutes ago, I stumbled upon an excellent resource from Cambridge University that actually gives video examples of individuals speaking English at the various skill levels (A2-C2).
Examples of speaking performance at CEFR levels A2-C2

In most cases they actually have 2 people at each skill level. This was quite informative for me, because although I have read the descriptions of the different levels I have never SEEN and HEARD those levels demonstrated. The fact that it was in English was even more beneficial to me. I hope you guys enjoy the videos.

Please check out the video of the individuals speaking at a C1+/C2 level. The woman from Lativa who spoke at a C2 level blew my mind! Maybe it is because I am American and don't get some of the subtleties of the British accent, but If I met this woman on the street I would have ZERO clue that she wasn't from the UK unless she told me.

Thanks for the video! It is great for self-evaluation.

Advanced fluency? C2 seems to be native-like fluency to me from this video, especially the woman, essentially is native-like.   

Edited by irrationale on 06 October 2010 at 2:44am

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version