FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5214 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 17 of 19
15 December 2010 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
mcjon77 wrote:
Hi guys,

As usual, we have had frequent discussions on this board as to what it means to be fluent. Frequently, the CEFR/CEFRL (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) has been mentioned as a guide, with many saying that B2 is basic fluency and C2 is advanced fluency.

A few minutes ago, I stumbled upon an excellent resource from Cambridge University that actually gives video examples of individuals speaking English at the various skill levels (A2-C2).
Examples of speaking performance at CEFR levels A2-C2

In most cases they actually have 2 people at each skill level. This was quite informative for me, because although I have read the descriptions of the different levels I have never SEEN and HEARD those levels demonstrated. The fact that it was in English was even more beneficial to me. I hope you guys enjoy the videos.

Please check out the video of the individuals speaking at a C1+/C2 level. The woman from Lativa who spoke at a C2 level blew my mind! Maybe it is because I am American and don't get some of the subtleties of the British accent, but If I met this woman on the street I would have ZERO clue that she wasn't from the UK unless she told me.

hey, there!! you made a fantastic work finding out this link!!! thanks a lot... it shows us how they really define CEFR levels and gives us a clue on "how fluent" you must be in order to be "awarded" the A2 or C1 level... and you're right, the latvian girl is just awesome!!! If you find some more videos , please post it!!! It helps a lot...
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5157 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 18 of 19
05 March 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I’ve found another website with videos showcasing speaking abilities at various CEFR levels (A1 to C2) in the following languages:
English
French
German
Italian
Spanish

The videos are taken from a DVD called Spoken performances illustrating the 6 levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. For each language it’s also possible to access a pdf file to read the comments on the assigned levels, which is as instructive (if not more instructive) as watching the videos.

I think it would be interesting to make comparisons between these videos and the ones mentioned in a previous post to see if the rating of language abilities is consistent (which should be the main purpose of having created the CEFR in the first place).
I haven’t had time to watch them carefully yet, but I personally find that, for instance, the C2 examples in English don’t seem to reach the very high standards illustrated in the webCEF videos. What do you think?

4 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 19 of 19
05 March 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
A few weeks ago, I found this example of A1 in Spanish. It included a video of the test, and I found it very useful. I also realized I had probably achieved that level of Spanish in about 4 months (first university semester).

http://www.telc.net/en/what-telc-offers/spanish/telc-espanol -a1/practice-material/

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version