150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 33 of 58
14 November 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Liface wrote:
I'm fond of Stuart Jay Raj's answer for how many languages you know:

It's like music. Would someone be able to tell you how many songs they can play on a guitar?

I like the languages and music comparison

BUT how many songs on a guitar would = how many sentences or conversations you can make in a language NOT how many languages!

How many languages would = how many music instruments, for example the guitar, piano, violin etc

Actually, I think that was the comparison he made originally. I screwed it up! I was trying to find the video where he said it but I can't. If anyone knows, post it here.

Edited by Liface on 14 November 2010 at 7:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6260 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 34 of 58
16 November 2010 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
There are people who think I'm trying to show off when I mention stuff about languages (like words in two languages that are coincidentally similar in an amusing way, or the etymology of an English word I realized through Latin). I really hate when this happens, because my intention isn't to show off at all. It's just that I have such passion for my discoveries that I have to share them with people, even if they don't necessarily appreciate it...

4 persons have voted this message useful

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5236 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 35 of 58
17 November 2010 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
I think most people on here would argue that it's better not to brag about
your abilities, if only because if you say you speak so-an-so language there is always the
chance that there is someone there who can speak it better than you, and can put you to
shame.
Besides that, you of course don't want to make yourself look arrogant.

Arrogance and bragging aside, I do not consider bold as a good enough reason to avoid saying
"I speak...". There will always be someone who speaks it better than you. Take my English,
for example. Most of the native speaker speak better than me (and many of the non-natives,
too), but insisting that I don't actually speak English would make my life situation look a
bit funny :).
Same for Spanish. There are so many people who speak it way better than me (people who have
put more hours into it, who have concentrated on grammar more than I did so far, so they make
less grammar mistakes etc.), but if I can spend a week in a Spanish speaking country, heavily
interacting with natives, discussing everything from personal situation to history and poetry
to SIM card activation, without need to use English and, more importantly, without anyone
answering me back in English - than I wouldn't have problem to say that I speak Spanish.
I think it is easy to distinguish an arrogant bragging from simple "yeah, I speak (certain
language).".
It is true, however, that, since I started reading this forum, my criteria for "I speak" have
gotten quite messed up :). I would certainly get by on the streets of Moscow, but I can't say
yet that I speak Russian, it just doesn't seem right.
At the end, I think I have turned to practicality: if I have rich experience of interacting
with native speakers (without need to use English and without hindering the conversation),
than I have no problem saying "yes, I speak...", if I'm asked.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 36 of 58
18 November 2010 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I have to admit that I take most opportunities to tell people(perhaps girls more so
than boys) that I 'speak' 9 languages

Bragging to or trying to impress girls is a losing game. Period.

If this inspires you, even worse: what if she says she's unimpressed or starts teasing you, like if you made this up, or asks to say a phrase in each language? This is the most sure way to give others the ropes to manipulate you emotionally.

Unless you make living from languages and need to advertize, the fact of bragging itself diminishes the value of this your quality. It has been a case for me: next thing you'll do will be translating an article for a girl for free, just to stay near her. Fortunately I figured this out quickly. So now I don't hide this, but unless there's a direct question, I don't put this on the table. I might tell stories that may make others ask if I know that language, but not more. (Though if I try being a freelance teacher, I might behave differently, but not mix it with emotional life.)

since I live in a scientific town (near a usual big city), I use languages and geekery topics for flirting. Topics include:
1. living in this place requires knowing 2 foreign languages, or the Academy of Sciences will send SWAT to kick you out.
2. her secret interest towards geeks (and I don't pretend to be one), and advices to her on how to dress up (emo, punk),
3. "let's go to Europe, I'll translate and you'll make those guys buy us free drinks and stuff."

Edited by Siberiano on 19 November 2010 at 6:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5128 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 37 of 58
21 November 2010 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
I came across quite a few people in real-life who like to boast (and sometimes even in an arrogant manner) about how they almost got full marks for their English TOEFL exams (or how well their results are/how smart their countrymen are), due to the intensive exam-oriented tuition they are receiving in their country/countries, but the moment they open their mouth to speak the language, you have no clue what they are talking about due to their heavy native accent/constant search for vocabulary.

Personally, I find this kinda attitude really rude and irritating, also, I think language certificates are themselves not an end to language learning, but rather language learning is about the effective communication with native speakers and speakers of that language. I think a successful language learning process/outcome is not just about the perfect regurgitation of essays that one learnt by heart in their exam tuition class, nor the memorisation of just new words, but to actively use them in such a way that would/could aid you to communicate with native speakers.     

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 21 November 2010 at 2:52pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 38 of 58
21 November 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Siberiano wrote:
Quote:
I have to admit that I take most opportunities to tell people(perhaps girls more so
than boys) that I 'speak' 9 languages

Bragging to or trying to impress girls is a losing game. Period.
"

LOL - I have never tried to impress boys by bragging about my language skill. To the extent where I have mentioned my languages skills at all, my impression is that most boys run a mile if they get the impression that you are more clever than them in a particular field.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 39 of 58
21 November 2010 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
LOL - I have never tried to impress boys by bragging about my language skill. To the extent where I have mentioned my languages skills at all, my impression is that most boys run a mile if they get the impression that you are more clever than them in a particular field.

Err... how did you tell them about this? o_0 "Listen, boy, you better not mess with me on languages, I'll own you"? I hope not. :) This logic, taken further means that a polyglot girl has no chance of getting married other that to a polyglot guy. :) Hmm, I don't think so. I'm okay with girls being better at my diploma speciality, or being better cyclists than me, or doing other things better.

Don't know about your cases, but you're right that this is true in the opposite way: a bragging girl is not nice either.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version