Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4921 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 37
16 November 2010 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
It seems to me that most, if not all language learners I know of hate learning grammar! Do you like learning grammar?

For me, it is one of the more exciting aspects of learning a language... The more alien the grammar, the more interesting it is to me. I would not want to learn a language that had an identical grammar to my own. I'm learning French now, and every time I learn new sentence structures that are (quite) different from English, I get very excited. The way I see it is, if one were to learn a language with an identical grammar to their own, then it would be nothing more than learning vocabulary. And thus, not the full language learning experience.

What do you think about this?
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6245 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 2 of 37
16 November 2010 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
I enjoy studying grammar, for grammar's sake and because I very much view it as a tool for cracking open a language. I would much rather study some grammar to figure out why words are changing forms, or why the words are in such and such order, rather than reading vast amounts of stuff and hoping I just "figure it out."

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6269 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 37
16 November 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
I don't like learning grammar tables, but I do like to see grammar points that are
different than what I'm used to, like Swahili including relative pronouns in the verb, or
having a tense for things that follow.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 16 November 2010 at 2:12pm

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6271 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 4 of 37
16 November 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
I love grammar. Well, sometimes. Latin grammar is a pain, but I've found joy in Spanish and Japanese grammar. It's too bad that grammar is a relatively small part of a language compared to its vocabulary, so mastering a language's essential grammar is still quite a far cry from actually mastering the language itself...

2 persons have voted this message useful

Enki
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5632 days ago

54 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written), English*, French, Korean
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 37
16 November 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Some people associate grammar with either being publically humiliated for making mistakes by strict teachers or internet trolls, or a whole bunch of overly complicated and seemingly endless grammatical terms and tables.

Personally I think grammar is great! I've been forcing myself to learn some basic grammatical concepts and it's been doing wonders for my language learning. I just came back from my first German language exchange, and I feel knowing about cases and phrases helped me get a lot more out of my lesson than just going in and trying to wade through the endless maze of sentences and phrases.

Looks like everyone who has replied so far are on the pro-grammar side, haha. Hopefully you'll get an answer to your original question about grammar aversion soon.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 37
16 November 2010 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
People have an aversion to anything that doesn't make sense to them.

If people don't like grammar, it's because it's not being explained clearly enough to them. The teacher or the book is to blame, not the student.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6245 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 7 of 37
16 November 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
If people don't like grammar, it's because it's not being explained clearly enough to them. The teacher or the book is to blame, not the student.

You're forgetting another issue - some people will preach against grammar if they're selling a product that more or less ignores it. If your sales pitch is all about input, input, and more input, you're less likely to use the G word.
3 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4921 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 8 of 37
16 November 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your replies everyone ^_^

Cainntear wrote:
People have an aversion to anything that doesn't make sense to them.

Thanks for your answer.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version