Joined 4921 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 17 of 37
19 November 2010 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
CheeseInsider wrote:
Great replies everyone :) And thanks for them. So for those of you that like learning languages with a very different grammar, would you avoid learning languages with a grammar similar to the ones you already know? I wouldn't, otherwise I wouldn't be learning French. Or Cantonese for that matter. But my next language will (hopefully) be very different :)

I wouldn't avoid them at all. I might be interested in them for other reasons than grammar (cultural, family or friends from the country, the sound, economic usefulness, etc.) But I just might get less of that thrill or high when studying the grammar than I would for a language that opened new intellectual frontiers for me. On the other hand, I probably won't be studying anything like Finnish/Icelandic/Hungarian/Navajo JUST for the unusual grammar, when I have no other motivation. A new grammar system is just one factor of many when choosing a language.

Ah yes, I think I feel the same way ^_^
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6071 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 18 of 37
20 November 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I have at times felt some aversion to grammar. I tend to stress vocabulary learning, which means I often pile up a large vocabulary in L2s, especially passive, but my grammar can be faulty.

wilzy
United States
Joined 4982 days ago

15 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish

Message 19 of 37
05 December 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
For me, memorizing charts and doing drills is a tedious form of drudgery (or torture), but when grammar is done as a part of overall comprehesion, I quite like learning it and (revelation - I'm a former language teacher) found that my students liked it too. Grammar is fun when you are allowed to "discover" it and are then given (or make) lots of opportunities to use it in realistic situations.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 20 of 37
05 December 2010 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
I can't say I'm a fan of discovery learning. Either it's uncontrolled (therefore takes too long) or it's planned and it feels like I'm being led by the nose. Most courses that claim to be discovery-based are really still presenting the rules, but just hiding the rules in an example.

It's not a straight choice between discovery on one hand and drills and verb tables on the other -- there's other variables. Michel Thomas taught grammar explicitly, but without a table in sight, and his exercises used broad and varied language, so not what we normally mean by drilling.
2 persons have voted this message useful

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5027 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 21 of 37
08 December 2010 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
I think learning too much grammar in the beginning is a huge mistake. Its like studying a football rulebook before you have touched a ball or watched a game. A bit is fine as you go along but looking too deep into it will just confuse and fustrate.

The Chinese education system is like that, make the students cram grammar for 2 years before they learn how to pronounce "hello". True story in my Russian class most of my classmates can sit there and draw up a table of all the conjugated variants of a top 150 Russian verb, but then I ask them Как отдохнули на выходных? (how was your weekend?) and they stare at me having no idea how to answer... serious.

Edited by slymie on 08 December 2010 at 6:52pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 22 of 37
08 December 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
slymie wrote:
I think learning too much grammar in the beginning is a huge mistake. Its like studying a football rulebook before you have touched a ball or watched a game. A bit is fine as you go along but looking too deep into it will just confuse and fustrate.

That's a bad analogy. Grammar isn't the rules of the game, it is the game. If vocabulary is a "pass" or a "shot on goal", grammar ties two together, so you can make sentences like "tackle dribble shoot".

You cannot practise football without practicing a wide range of the infinite variations and combinations of the grammar of motion of football.

A course without grammar is like practicing only set routines of running to a particular place and passing to a particular place and running to a particular place etc etc etc.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5180 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 23 of 37
08 December 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
To dislike grammar is to ignore the enormous power that comes with it.

A single grammatical fact can be twisted around and used in an infinite number of sentences you couldn't make before. It's like adding a key to your keychain. You never know what door you'll need to open.

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5027 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 24 of 37
08 December 2010 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
slymie wrote:

That's a bad analogy. Grammar isn't the rules of the game, it is the game. If vocabulary is a "pass" or a "shot on goal", grammar ties two together, so you can make sentences like "tackle dribble shoot".

You cannot practise football without practicing a wide range of the infinite variations and combinations of the grammar of motion of football.

A course without grammar is like practicing only set routines of running to a particular place and passing to a particular place and running to a particular place etc etc etc.

I still think its a good analogy, you just twisted it. I didn't say don't study grammar, I said too much too early can throw you off. I think learning "enough" as you go is best, stressing too much or trying to memorize rules without a feel for the language is just bad.

You can take 3 days reading books about how to ride a bike, or you can try sitting on it, and trying out what the pedals do. Might be a slightly higher chance of injury, but once you get your balance you will be up and riding a hell of a lot faster.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version