Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 17 of 29
06 December 2010 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
I was so tired on Friday that I pretty much slept on the train too and from work. No study on the weekends either. I will have to think of something to do on the weekends as my time seems to be far less structured.

Monday 6th December
Review of Pimsleur lesson 4. I then transcribed all the new words and phrases. I will have to reference these with a dictionary at some point to make sure I am getting my spelling correct.

Will do Basic Grammar lesson 6 tonight on the way home.

Cheers.
1 person has voted this message useful

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 18 of 29
06 December 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Monday 6th December
I started unit 6 of the Basic Grammar book on the way home. I read the unit through twice. Underlined the important parts and then thought I’d start on the exercises. I looked at the first exercise and it looked like, well, it looked like a completely foreign language. Ha.
I just couldn’t make any sense of what I needed to do. I hoped it was just down to a long day at work and that I would be better equipped to deal with it tomorrow morning.

Tuesday 7th December
Back to the unit 6 exercises. I re-read the text and started the exercises. Thankfully they made some sense this time. This unit is all about the subject case particle. It deals with case and special particles, negation and double subject constructs. I definitely don’t fully understand it all but I’m getting there. I feel a lot better about it this morning that I did last night. There’s a fair bit of translation work in the exercises which is good as I’m beginning to recognise some familiar words.
I completed 5 out of 8 exercises this morning and will complete the rest on the way home tonight.

I’m finding the combination of the grammar book and the Pimsleur audio to be quite beneficial. The grammar study has helped me recognise elements that I have missed before. It has also helped me to adapt the more formal Pimsleur phrases to a more informal setting.

*edit*
I forgot to add that I got my haircut on Friday. Not that that’s really newsworthy but I go to a Korean hairdressers here in Melbourne. Really nice people and I’ve been wanting to practice a bit of my Korean there for a while but I am quite shy about it. Anyway, I decided that when she was finished and asked me how it looked, as they invariably do, I would reply with 아주 좋와요. If my hangul spelling is correct then it should read “very good”.

Well, I was practicing in my head for about 10 minutes and it came time and she asked me how the cut looked. Well I responded with something that sounded like ajoo showayo. She gave me a funny look and after another couple of tries it came out right (I hope) and she fully understood (or at least pretended to). It was interesting because she then asked me “so you speak some Korean” to which the standard Pimsleur reply is 조금요 (a little). It came straight to mind but just sounded so corny to use in that situation. Either way, I’ve made an agreement with myself that the next time someone asks me I will answer with that. At least it will be practice.    

Just makes me realise how important it is to actually practice with native Korean speakers. I think I will have to make an effort to talk to as many native Koreans as I can. Korean supermarkets here I come.
Cheers.     

Edited by Coges on 07 December 2010 at 12:03am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5460 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 19 of 29
07 December 2010 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
You should respond with 조금 (좀) 할 수 있어요 if someone asks you if you can speak Korean.

And it should be 아주 좋아요.

Ajoo showayo would be 아주 쇼와요, which is probably why she didn't understand you.

But anyway, keep it up. At least you have Koreans to talk to. All the ones I chat with are on MSN Messenger than I met on Shared Talk.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 20 of 29
07 December 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Hi. Thanks for that. Yeah the main places I will be able to practice are only at restaurants and grocery shops but we seem to be experiencing a growing Korean population here in Melbourne.    

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have said it before and the pronunciation has been correct but it was just that I hadn't actually spoken Korean to anyone else out loud for so long that I stuffed it up. The "ajoo showayo" was what actually came out but wasn't intentional.

Thanks for the correction on 아주 좋아요. I am trying to transcribe from what others have told me or that I've heard somewhere.   

Can you explain what the "할 수 있어요" means? It was explained to me that "조금" means "a little" and you then make it polite by adding "요" on the end.

Thanks again for your help.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6247 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 29
07 December 2010 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
할 수 있다 is the standard form of the verb "to be able to". 할 수 있어 is a statement, which you make more polite by adding 요 at the end. :)

Nice job!

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5460 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 22 of 29
07 December 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
You should end up learning the -ㄹ 수 있다 form fairly early in any Korean course. But it looks like you recently started, so I don't blame you you for not knowing it.

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 23 of 29
08 December 2010 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Thanks for that guys. Feeling a bit simple at the moment. I actually learnt a variation (is it the same meaning but in deferential form?) on that in the first Pimsleur lesson. It is (I think) 할 수 있습니다.

I'm still coming to grips with the standard form and then having to add parts to it and what to add. Getting there slowly.

Thanks again.

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 24 of 29
08 December 2010 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Tuesday 7th December
I completed the rest of the unit 6 exercises on the way home last night. During these exercises I had to refer back to unit 5 for some information and have realised why I got a section of unit 5 wrong. It has been bugging me for days but the information was right there in front of me. Will be able to re-do it correctly now.

Wednesday 8th December
No study this morning. Will endeavour to re-do the unit 5 exercise that I got wrong (only 10 questions) and then cover off Pimsleur lesson 5.

Cheers.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version