Australia
Joined 5010 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 1 of 18
21 November 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I've finally finished school so have some time to be able to learn languages which is exciting. Initially, I was
wanting to do Italian, but since I'm far more obsessed with Japanese culture (been watching anime daily for quite
some time) and it is arguably harder I'm wanting to start with it sooner and then add Italian later on.
Latin is another one I want to learn, I'd love to be fluent in reading as it would be awesome to have the pleasure
of reading old Latin works! Basically for challenge and out of interest..

I want to hopefully update this every few days, but I won't be going at it too intensely - at least not yet! Let's see
how it goes, definitely starting off slower to get into the language learning process, as I'm coming from a very
minimal language learning background.

Resources:

Japanese
- Assimil Vol 1 & 2
{ Method for Assimil
1. Listen Jap, book closed
2. Listen Jap, Reading English
3. Read Jap aloud, comparing to English
4. Read Jap without translation
5. Listen Jap once while reading English, once while reading Jap
6. Listen Jap book closed
7. Listen Jap, repeat aloud after each sentence
8. Read comments/notes
9. Do Exercises
I will be doing the passive/active stages together, so doing this to memorise the lessons.
}
- Ultimate Japanese
- Hugo in 3 months
*Edit, now also have:
- Remembering the Kana (Hiragana, Katakana)
- Remembering the Kanji
Edit 2:
- Read Japanese Today
- DS Games in Japanese Pokemon Pearl & Zelda Phantom Hourglass

Latin
- Sprachprofi's latin course!
Followed by
- Lingua Latina pars I and perhaps pars II
- Harry Potter 1 (Latin translation of course)
- Do You Really Want to Learn Latin books (may not need them, just has a good grammar guide)
Then on to Latin texts!

Note: After I get a good grasp on these, may start to learn spoken Italian (Assimil, Michel Thomas), so maybe
more on that later... & perhaps German/French also :)

!!!!!
So yes! Let it begin...

Hopefully I can do this since I'm on holidays, so have heaps of time to fit study around social life... Also, hopefully
doing Latin and/or Japanese at Uni next year as breadth, so shall see how that goes..

- Divexo

Edited by divexo on 29 November 2010 at 7:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5010 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 2 of 18
23 November 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Update #1

Well, since I'm wanting to keep my motivation through this log, thought I'd do my first update despite
done very little:

Japanese
- Lesson 3 and 4 of Assimil, memorising the romaji and ensuring correct pronunciation
- Learnt 17 Hiragana (just then), and practiced translating from romaji - my first ones!

Latin
- Learnt the vocab of chapter 5 Lingua Latina with iFlash (prefer much more than Anki)
- Learnt the vocab required for my first two classes with Sprachprofi (50 words) using iFlash.

By the way: Learnt in Latin meaning learning to recognise/identify the Latin words, not how to write
from English-->Latin, unlike Japanese which is both ways..

Tomorrow, I will try and do more... But now time for bed.

Edited by divexo on 23 November 2010 at 8:28pm

polywannabe
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

35 posts - 43 votes

Message 3 of 18
23 November 2010 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 

I'll be interested to see how assimil works out for Japanese.

Good luck!!

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5010 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 4 of 18
24 November 2010 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 

Update #2

JAP
Today I learnt all the rest of Hiragana (using Remembering the Kana part 1), and had a long session on
www.realkana.com practicing identifying them to get the hang of the 46 characters. Then started practicing with
the extra voiced ones, which was fine.

Also went over Assimil lesson 4, and started to go through lesson 5 with frequent listening and more
understanding (passive phase), and will focus on the active later (tomorrow/tonight).
I found that it's better to learn the literal translation/structure of the Japanese sentences, rather then just
knowing what it means.
For example, rather then 'doko e ikimasu ka' --> 'Where are you going?"
It's easier to break it down to ---> 'Where - 'to go' question marker'
So if i ever see words in another sentence, I can quickly understand them.

LATIN
I did the first two lessons of the course. Picking up some much needed grammar points, which I've yet to be
exposed to. Like verb ending 'nt' at the end to signal 'they' or 't' for 'he/she/it', as there are no words for pointing
these out.

Edited by divexo on 24 November 2010 at 6:28pm

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5010 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 5 of 18
25 November 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Today was lazy...

Latin: Learnt 30 new vocab in prep for next lesson of the course, as well as doing the lesson 4.
Japanese: Reviewed lesson 5 of Assimil, and played with the iphone realkana application on public transport
reviewing Hiragana (including voiced and pa,pi,pe,po,pu) - know it quite well now got ~10 wrong in the 100 Hira
presented.. Will be doing this whenever on a journey somewhere so hopefully within next few days will have close
to
100% identifying success !

Tomorrow I have the entire day free before I go out, so hopefully can get more done. (It is already well into
tomorrow actually)

Edit, I don't think I can be bothered with the bolding of 'Update 3' and so on, since the dates are revealed in the
posts...

Edited by divexo on 25 November 2010 at 7:57pm

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5010 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 6 of 18
27 November 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Since last update haven't done what I'd hoped but anyways..

Latin:
- Learnt the 30 vocab words for Lesson 4 and the 26 for lesson 5 = 56 new words in total
- Had lesson 4 and 5, learning more grammar and the like
- Read through lesson 6 (a review one, since I'm not doing it formally), doing the exercises
Japanese:
- Found a random list of phrases online, and practiced writing the romanji down in Hiragana, got it down quite
well now
- Went over lessons 1-5 by putting words in iFlash (as hiragana and translation) to practice, not the best idea I
think now for Assimil I've realised
- Did lesson 6 before

Thoughts: Latins going quite well, there are quite a few similarities with words, and my tutor/teacher is
awesome! So making the grammar seem pretty straightforward as it's such a "logical language"
Japanese is quite hard.. I reckon learning to read will be definitely possible, since I'm quite good at memorising.
However, trying to speak it is very difficult due to the really odd word structure, and having trouble with virtually
no similarities!
Lesson 6 was fairly hard, and still haven't fully grasped it. Will go through it again tomorrow..

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5010 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 7 of 18
28 November 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Update - Troubles with Japanese!

Japanese only
- Started Remembering the Kanji did first ~34
- Realising I really wanted to know a pronunciation so took the time to find a pronunciation for each meaning
- Discovering this was quite annoying, turned to Kanji Odyssey, and tested the first ~40 characters that had
pronunciation and many meanings for them, wrote all important ones down. This was so overwhelming, so
couldn't be bothered going over it/learning it all.
- Tried to continue Assimil, but seriously not liking having so little knowledge of grammar, hence finding it too
hard to do without simple ROTE memorisation.

Sigh, spent many hours watching anime in defeat (obsessed with One Piece, almost up-to-date).

Ok, now decided I will change my Japanese study, and so back to basics:
- Remembering the kanji, meaning only as it was made to do, leave pronunciation till later.. I really want to play
this game which is only in Japanese so badly, so will be motivated to do this :)
- Play with Simplified Japanese + Ultimate Japanese, probably try and finished Simplified first since it's more
straight forward/shorter I find.
- Ordered my uni textbook for next year for first year Japanese (very cheap price secondhand woohoo), and will
go through that if I feel it is what I need.

Definitely want to go through the more school-based grammar methods for now, Japanese I find is too difficult
to jump in with Assimil, so will delay this till after grammar is down.

Completely opposite to Latin though, which I would HATE to begin in a school-setting and much prefer the
method I'm doing :)

Ok, off to do something, will update later :)

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5010 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 8 of 18
29 November 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Update - Back on track from today :)

Japanese:
- Tried the demo of Japanese learning role-playing game called Slime Forest, quite interesting but decided not
for me as the learning part is to intense with similar looking kanji that has long gaps from Japanese learning
when not in battle.
- Forgot I had "Read Japanese Today", which I think is about ~300 characters in total. So decided to go through it
as it is goes quite quickly through Kanji enabling me to be be able to 90 or so characters today writing it in a
little book to review later which is quite good :) Need to do some serious review as that seems like quite a lot!
Hopefully can finish the first ~300 over the next few days then restart RTK!
- Did most of chapter 2 for Simplified Japanese, now up to the exercise 8, out of total of 135 over the 20
chapters inside.
Latin:
- Learnt 60 vocab items for my course, where my lexicon has reached 200+ (199 from the course, and a few
more
that could be identified from lingua latina)
- Had course lesson number 7 which gave me insight into the "AcI" and other grammar, which was helpful.

Bought two games in Japanese for my nintendo DS, a Pokemon game (Pearl - entirely in kana) and Zelda game
(Phantom Hourglass - contains some kanji that can be tapped to reveal what it is), both can be played even with
quite beginner knowledge and apparently a good & fun learning tool. Since one goal I have is to be able to play
Japanese games, so want to start to learning the gaming language basics soon. Bought them online (thank you
ebay) so need to wait anyway.

Edited by divexo on 29 November 2010 at 7:09pm

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version