Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 17 of 18
18 December 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
divexo wrote:
- Read through the first couple of chapters of 'Invitation to Contemporary Japanese' textbook, doing the exercises.

Is that the "Yookoso!" book? What do you think of it? I skipped into a third level Japanese class at my school this year and the teacher wanted me to go through the first five chapters over the summer to make sure I understood the material...and I just couldn't do it--I got through maybe the introductory chapter and the first one. It was probably the most boring and most motivation-killing book I've ever used. We're using it in my class now and I'm finding that it's a little more bearable in a classroom setting, but it's still extremely "lacking" in everything I like in my language books. I'd recommend something more substantive such as "Ultimate Japanese."
1 person has voted this message useful

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5002 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 18 of 18
20 December 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Yeah it is the Yookoso book. Haha really!? I didn't realise it was that bad! Good thing I haven't done much of it yet..
That sucks though, I guess I will look over Ultimate Japanese then - as I was planning to!
I can't really compare it with much, but it seemed okay, nothing too special - just wanted to learn the same course
as I would in uni in a similar order.. But that isn't the best idea since I will be learning the basics first, so probably a
better book would be far more effective! I won't be continuing with it..

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version