Speaks: English*

Message 17 of 21
28 November 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Could you also post subtitles for the
German? I only understand "ich", "Sprache",
"Deutsch", "Sprachen" and "sehr gut". You have a habit of
saying some words very loudly
and clearly (like every time you say "Deutsch" in this video)
and then saying the rest
quietly, quickly and without enunciating as well. This makes it
difficult to follow,
especially on video. I think your German pronunciation may
actually be very good - for
example you seem to have no trouble with the difficult
consonants CH (soft and hard) or
the vowels that are so hard to master for a native English
speaker - except you have to
slow down and not let every word mesh with the next. German,
when done right, should
sound more chopped than French; it's something French
people always make fun of.

Thanks, I will consider doing that. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Cesare M.
Canada
youtube.com/user/CheRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4958 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 

Message 18 of 21
28 November 2010 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Everybody that posted on this thread, thanks very much for being considerate thoughtful and honest on this
thread. Wish more people were like you guys.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 21
29 November 2010 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
I listened to your video this morning, and I agree that it is admirable for an 18 year old to have notions of so many languages. I wish I had known so much at your age.

When I listened to the ones I am familiar with (Italian, French, Spanish, Danish and German) I could not help to notice that your pronunciation is of a varied quality, and that you make so many mistakes, that I am not sure that I would actually say that you speak these languages at all. I see from the above that the same is the case for some of the other languages that I am not familiar with. I was surprised to hear that I actually even had problems understanding your accent in English at times. I suppose that is an interference from your native Italian.

Saying that you learned 4 languages in a day would of course also strike a language learner as an impossible feat.

I would suggest that you build on your strengths, which is picking up bits of languages very quickly, and focus on a few of them which you perfect. When you make a video of what you say are your best languages and they turn out to be not very good, you lose credibility.

If you do take your amazing ability to pick up languages, and focus on a few of them, you could be back at this forum in 6 months and dazzle us all.

I look forward to that :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 November 2010 at 11:41am

10 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 20 of 21
04 December 2010 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Cesare, I would like to learn from you.

Would you consider writing a detailed language log for one of your languages? It doesn't have to be Thai - just any
language that you would most enjoy writing about.

Also, would you consider learning one of your languages to an advanced level - like almost as well as you know
English? If you could learn a language to an advanced level quickly, you would probably become much more
famous. And if you share with everyone how you do it, the language learning world will be a better place for it. I'm
sure I'll learn something very important from it.

I have learned several languages, and read about a variation of most methods out there. At this point I think the
most important improvements are less tangible changes within. Having a better attitude, being braver, forgiving my
own mistakes, etc, are the things I'm talking about here. These are the kinds of things I think you can teach me.

And I'm glad to tell you - my friend who speaks Thai better than me (he is close to advanced fluency, IMO) agreed -
there is something very native about your speech. We can't put our finger on it. But I feel like when you talk, it's like
you are existing in that language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4797 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 21 of 21
29 March 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi Cesare M.,

Can you give me a working link to your 24 language video?
If you have taken it down, can you put it up again and give me the link?

For me, the fact that you have attempted to learn so many languages at such a young age itself is something that should be highly admired, irregardless of the level of your attainment thus far, and I think that the more mature people here(in terms of age and life experiences) should encourage and even nurture you in the pursuit of your goals.

I see that you are studying Mandarin. I encourage you to master at least one or more of the Far Eastern languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean or Japanese to fill up an important gap in your portfolio.

Keep up the good work!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version