Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5001 days ago

35 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French

Message 9 of 24
06 December 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
JPike1028 wrote:
I tend to confuse Spanish and Portuguese if I confuse anything. Truthfully I confuse Spanish with a lot of things. In other words, any time I try to speak in Spanish it ends up in either Italian or Portuguese namely because I am a lot less interested in Spanish than the other two.

Yes, me too! My Spanish ends up being a mishmash of Portuguese, Latin, Italian, French and every Romance language ever, apparently, except Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6391 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 24
06 December 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
This topic is targeted at people who speak/study multiple languages and sometimes find themselves confusing them.

It depends. But I'm not sure what you mean by "confuse."

I don't confuse any of my stronger languages, those that I would classify under "speaks." When trying to produce in a weaker language, those I would classify under "studies," my stronger languages get in the way. They immediately leap to mind as though they're vying for supremacy. This also happens when I'm reactivating one of my stronger languages whose active skills are relatively dormant.

I experienced the latter phenomenon when I was in Costa Rica for ten days this summer. It took some time to regain, or activate, my oral fluency in Spanish. I could only think in Czech at first, which I found odd because I hadn't spoken Czech in a while. I certainly never confused the two in terms of not knowing which words or inflections belonged to which language -- it's just that Czech would not let Spanish emerge for a couple of days.

horshod
Pentaglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5558 days ago

74 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Marathi*, Bengali, Gujarati, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 11 of 24
06 December 2010 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Japanese and Spanish! Probably because of the similar pronunciations of dental consonants 't', 'd' and vowels. At the international food festival at the niversity I so wanted to ask that Japanese girl what she was selling and that I wanted to have some of it.. but all I could think of was 'Watashiwa kore wo tomarimas!' (My Japanese has gotten rusty anyway from not studying it for 3 years.)

Sometimes I find myself inserting Tamil/Kannada words into Sanskrit though they are in no way related.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 24
06 December 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
I have sometimes used German words in Dutch and Dutch words in Afrikaans and Italian or Catalan words in Spanish (or the opposite). But who cares? Demanding that every single word you use is demonstrably from the language you are speaking in that precise moment is equivalent to demanding that you stay silent until you have attained advanced fluency - and then you won't ever get there.

Besides the deliberate use of 'homemade loanwords' can effectively be your best strategy while you are still striving to learn a language. If your guesses are correct in just 80% of the cases then the last 20% are a small price to pay. As your vocabulary grows you will get the chance to weed out the errors, and your chances to do this are much greater if you already are able to think and write and speak in a free and spontaneous way.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5635 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 24
06 December 2010 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I sometimes have little interferences between Spanish - Italian - Esperanto. Other languages I never mix up.

Fasulye

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6748 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 14 of 24
06 December 2010 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
I learned first portuguese and then Spanish and when I start talking in one of these languages I use many words of the other one , so I end speaking portunhol . This mix it is not bad !

Yo aprendei antes hablar el Portugues y depois o Espanhol e cuando empezo hablar uma de estos idiomas uso muitas palabras de la outra y assim acabo charlando em Portunhol. Esta cosa nao es mal !

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6824 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 15 of 24
06 December 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
For me it is Spanish and Italian. I studied them both at the seme time at a very intense pace and have not used them a lot since (especially Spanish) So for not I started to take up Italian for the moment, try to get it to a rather good level and when I feel I am up to it try Spanish again, as I actually don't want to completely give up any of the two of them.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5828 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 16 of 24
06 December 2010 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
I mix up Russian with Spanish

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version