Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5305 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 1 of 17
07 December 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Facebook now allows one to include "Languages" in the about me section... cool!
1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5766 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 2 of 17
07 December 2010 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone on this site actively use Facebook (or any of the other social media) in any constructive fashion for language learning?    

I cannot access Facebook from my work computer (and because I am a loser, I am at work way more than I am at home).   We have an iPhone 4 which can access Facebook, but my twelve year daughter has hidden it from me, mostly because she figures I do not have a hope in heck of being able to use it properly for anything other than cracking walnuts (which I found it does reasonably well, but then the phone reception sucks for about an hour afterwards).

If Facebook offers any unique opportunities for practising languages, I will start a search of the usual hiding spots for the device.

Edited by Spanky on 07 December 2010 at 9:07pm

carlonove
United States
Joined 5796 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 17
07 December 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
You can set your interface language to your target language on Facebook, and more importantly, if you have an iPhone you can run Anki on it.

Edited by carlonove on 07 December 2010 at 10:16pm

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5305 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 4 of 17
07 December 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
Does anyone on this site actively use Facebook (or any of the other
social media) in any constructive fashion for language learning?    

Other than using the chat feature to talk to a friend in my target language, not at all.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5777 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 17
07 December 2010 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
I don't use Facebook for language learning. I had a look at a few of the relevant groups and wasn't much impressed. Conversations were of low quality and difficult to follow. I might have missed a good group, because I didn't look at all of them, but what I saw wasn't too enticing - especially the group you can join "if you can say hello in more than one language"! Not very high standards there! But it's good that you can put your languages on your profile and chatting with other target language speakers would be useful. I'm still wary of Facebook, though, and only use it to keep up with family members.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5766 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 6 of 17
08 December 2010 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Okay, I have had a chance to consult with my daughter, who in addition to being way smarter than me (she says this is so, and who am I to argue with someone way smarter than me?) is also a very prolific Facebook addict. [Warning: Facebook appears quite a bit more addictive than crack.]

I am advised that one can post audio and video clips to one's Facebook wall or page - I had previously thought it was limited to text and photos. Depending on how you configure your privacy settings, access to those clips can either be unrestricted or limited to those you have accepted as friends.

This sounds like it has some real advantages for those who may want to set up a small learning group (like one of HTLAL's group TAC approaches) to post webcam videos or audio clips for feedback on pronunciation.

I would be interested in doing this in connection with my rather doomed ongoing attempt to learn French, but I have neither friends nor the password that my daughter is using to protect the iPhone and keep me a Luddite.

3 persons have voted this message useful

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6724 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 17
08 December 2010 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
I use it for keeping in touch with friends from other countries.
I don't really think it can be used for much more than that.

You can use facebook in another language (which I'm doing now) but it doesn't teach you much. There are some useful applications, one called Kanji Box was pretty good, but I don't use it much. I haven't found any useful groups either, people don't seem to post that much or know much about learning languages.

It's only really useful for keeping in touch with friends (that you know in real life, I wouldn't recommend accepting friend requests from people you've never met, as they often turn out to be scary weirdos), chatting with friends in another languages, posting youtube videos in another language, posting comments in another language on friend's photos etc.
I don't think it can actually be used for language learning.

Also, where can you add languages on your profile? I can't see anything for that :(
2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6678 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 8 of 17
08 December 2010 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
Unzum, you have to get the new profile format to get the language feature.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version