Switzerland
Joined 4984 days ago

85 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, German, Italian, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 17
08 December 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Funny topic!
I'm in China and I'm very happy to get rid of facebook: it allows me to do something
constructive instead of wasting time on it...for example, I work my chinese!

1 person has voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5410 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 10 of 17
08 December 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I update my status in Italian even though only 1 friend is Italian. Since I have the
mobile app it is a quick way of getting in some writing practise in Italian every day.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 17
08 December 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I found it interesting to see how many of my friends speak a foreign language - I was pleasantly surprised! Although I do suspect that a lot of people put on languages that they studied at school and have since forgotten.

BlondGirl
Groupie
United States
Joined 5374 days ago

49 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 17
11 December 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
I love using Facebook to supplement my studies. Many of my Skype/SharedTalk buddies are friended on Facebook and the little quotes from them help to show me vocabulary (especially slang)in context. I have found that frequently occurring themes are more easily integrated into my thinking processes. Example: Por vs para in Spanish. Seeing it over and over and over in different ways in small bites has almost solidified the proper usage. Que--this is used a million different ways and is confusing--or, rather, it WAS confusing.
:)
I also changed my Facebook interface (along with almost every other site/program that I could) to my target language.

Another bonus to getting those small bites, language blogs often post up new material on FB or you can seek friends of friends there for more exposure that is handpicked for the qualities you are needing. (Example: I am traveling the South America so I most of my FB friends are from the countries I will visit as opposed to places with very different dialects or slang.)

Serpensortia
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5339 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian*, Spanish

Message 13 of 17
11 December 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
I use Facebook in Spanish, which has helped me a lot. However, it sometimes makes mistakes, and will write things like "___ he comentado on her estado."

Marc94
Diglot
United States
Joined 5063 days ago

32 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 17
12 December 2010 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
I think this is a cool feature, but I personally don't trust the actual X person speaks X language thing. For example, my brother JUST started Greek, because he is going to be studying abroad there, but yet he listed it as actually knowing the language fluently. I was going to type that that was cheating, that you can't simply put a language down that you are beginning to dabble in, but I let it go.

Otherwise, I sometimes will update my status in German, but I find it hard to find any other value for languages on Facebook.

pobere
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
language-learning-lo
Joined 5173 days ago

83 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, German, English

Message 15 of 17
13 December 2010 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 

I've just deactivated my account. It was simply USELESS. ;)
Now I have more time to study.

N.B.: After you deactivate your account, you must wait at least 2 weeks. Only after 2 weeks the account is deleted. If you login in these 2 weeks the account will be activated. ;)

peppelanguage
Triglot
Groupie
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5681 days ago

90 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 16 of 17
27 December 2010 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:

I am advised that one can post audio and video clips to one's Facebook wall or page - I had previously thought it was limited to text and photos. Depending on how you configure your privacy settings, access to those clips can either be unrestricted or limited to those you have accepted as friends.

This sounds like it has some real advantages for those who may want to set up a small learning group (like one of HTLAL's group TAC approaches) to post webcam videos or audio clips for feedback on pronunciation.

This sounds like TWO GREAT IDEAS:
the first one:
create (if the admins want to, of course) an HTLAL "profile" on facebook, where we can all meet and discuss of the stuff we talk about on the forum, in ordered discussions with videos.... (that could be an idea...)

the second one:
creating study groups (like...video conferences...more or less, but not in real time)
in order to exchange languages....

What do you think about this TWO IDEAS (if they're great is up to you to judge) I had thanks to Spanky post (due to his consult with his 12years old daughter) ???

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version