85 messages over 11 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 10 11 Next >>
Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4924 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 17 of 85
16 December 2010 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
languagenerd09 wrote:
I would say Galician, Basque, Maltese, Occitan, Bosnian, Macedonian, a lot of East-EU
languages, Finnish, Baltic languages, Belarussian, Ukrainian, Albanian, Armenian and Georgian.

That was meant to exclude "regional or minority languages", but if we're counting them in, then Breton is definitely
on the list.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5219 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 18 of 85
08 January 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Emiliana wrote:
Yes, probably this is really very difficult to say. Personally, I know quite a lot of people who study Finnish, I think one reason is because they like the metal music from there. In Western Europe, North America and most other parts in the world many of East European languages are probably quite "understudied" but I can imagine that in Hungary they maybe teach Ukrainian at school and vice versa. I hope you get my point.

As far as i know, in Hungary they have the choice of learning German or English (or both). A lot of elderly people, or in the generation of the age of my parents speaks a bit Russian and German, the younger generation tends to speak English (but I was surprised of the amount of people speaking German).

Anyway, that's my personnal experience. :) In western Europe, these languages (Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian etc) are not common studied languages. I had a great deal of difficulty to find adequate material for my Hungarian, for instance, as nobody had interest in studying it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

TheIcelander
Iceland
Joined 4879 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Icelandic*

Message 19 of 85
08 January 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Emiliana wrote:
I go for Icelandic because it is not only extremely difficult (as I
heard) but also the number of native speakers alone is very low (I think around 200
000), it is very expensive to go there/travel around in Iceland etc pp.

There are around 300.000 of us, don't think there are many people who study it though.
I know J.R.R. Tolkien did, and Gandalf for one was the name of a dwarf from "Snorra-
Edda" I believe, or well, it was in "Völuspá" which was really a fairly long poem,
supposedly spoken by a sibyl to Óðinn, the main man out of the whole Nordic gods
family. Sadly I don't know too much about this but I thought I'd just drop this in
there, I'm aware that your post is fairly old though.

Edited by TheIcelander on 08 January 2011 at 7:27pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5935 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 20 of 85
08 January 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, it's funny. When you study Finnish, you start to bump into other people who study Finnish. Studying Finnish is very uncommon, but I don't think so uncommon proportional to the size and population of the country. Learning materials aren't widespread, but they're out there. There's no 'Rosetta Stone' for Finnish, but I don't see that as a big problem. I think the unusual grammar is an attraction for some.

This is totally based on gut, but it seems to me Polish is less studied than you'd think, given its rising economic importance and the large community of Polish heritage Americans in the USA.

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5343 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 21 of 85
08 January 2011 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
It is quite rare to see anyone studying Latvian or Lithuanian. Even Estonian, though
smaller language, seems to attract somewhat more attention due to having few interesting
features (look, overlong vowels! 14 cases, neat!) but for example Latvian seems to fly
under the radar mostly. Between my friends and acquintances we cover quite many European
languages including somewhat rarely studied languages like Czech, Ukrainian or Icelandic
but I do not know anybody who speaks Latvian. And we're neighbouring countries. Shameful,
really.

Nudimmud
Groupie
United States
Joined 5002 days ago

87 posts - 161 votes 
Studies: Greek, Korean

Message 22 of 85
09 January 2011 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
If by least studied you mean: which language has the absolute fewest number of competent speakers who learned it as a second language, it would have to be a language, such of as Breton or Welsh which are on the verge of dying out and for which it's nearly impossible to find quality learning materials and native speakers. If you mean: which language is studied disproportionate to the size of population, I would say Turkish. Even though Turkey has a population nearly the size of Germany, it is far less studied that German. Of course one might object that only a minority of Turkish speakers are actually in Europe, as most of Turkey is in Asia. Regional dialects, i.e. languages that don't have an army and navy, such as Low German or Catalan, I would think would be contenders for least studied too, depending on how you weighted various criteria.

Edited by Nudimmud on 09 January 2011 at 1:41am

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5930 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 23 of 85
09 January 2011 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Relative to it's size and scope, Portuguese is definitely the most understudied language.

It's one of the largest international "world" languages, and it's virtually unknown.

7 persons have voted this message useful

Alanjazz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4625 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 24 of 85
05 January 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
I have to second Portuguese. Portuguese is (to my knowledge) never studied in the US outside of University-level
programs, which is so strange considering Brazil as a rising power and the amount of trade and connections to the
US.

As long as we are speaking about major languages, I think Italian is understudied. University programs are losing
their Italian departments and I have never heard of it being offered at a lower level (excepting private schools). I also
have never met a student of Dutch, only one heritage speaker who studied in the Netherlands for a year to learn it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version