Joined 5516 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 25 of 29
24 December 2010 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Oasis88 wrote:
Why do humans always want to package and label things?
[

I don't quite understand your question. Do you mean "why do words have definitions?"
(and, following from that I suppose, why do we have dictionaries) ...

I'd definitely agree with you on the merit of definitions and dictionaries. Let me
offer an example to help illustrate my point. While I studied classics we had a few
lectures on the different styles of
Pompeian mural paintings. We'd
look at different works and categorise them into the four "different" styles. After a
while you'd begin to come across some that were not immediately obvious and then debate
the topic by putting forward a case for placing it one category or the other. I began
to question the point of this after a while and wanted to just appreciate each item for
what it was, without having to label it. Of course, language fluency has nothing to do
with Pompeian styles of mural painting but helps to clarify my point.

With my previous post I only tried to express my concern for some things that might
perhaps never be solved, defined or categorised; and of which any attempts to do so are
potentially fruitless. To me, I suspect that the question of fluency may fit into this
category (pun intended).
3 persons have voted this message useful

peppelanguage
Triglot
Groupie
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

90 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 26 of 29
27 December 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
mr_chinnery wrote:
I couldn't find anywhere else on the forum more appropriate for this question, so here
goes.

What is fluency? When does one become fluent in a language? The only experience of
fluency I have, is that of my mother tongue, which is English. I like to think I am
very proficient with the language. When I meet other native speakers who are less
loquacious, and especially those with poor vocabulary, I find myself having to dumb
down my lexis, simply because I might use words they have never heard, thus ending up
seeming pompous, arrogant etc, etc. So are these people 'less' fluent? Or does it
simply come down to me having a more varied vocabulary and thus being better equipped
to convey ideas? I'm not trying to say I'm the most intelligent person I've ever met,
there are one or two who are moreso :D

Is fluency actually ever achieved? Is it just close to the top end of an sliding
scale of language proficiency, where the top is perfection, and therefore unattainable?
Is intelligence a pre-requisite of fluency in a second language? Or vice versa even?

What I really want to know, is how did you know you were fluent? At what
point did you take the plunge and say to friends and family, 'I am now fluent in x.'?
What was the exact moment you realised you had advanced proficiency? I am much more
interested in hearing your personal perspectives, than being referred to information
regarding philosophy/linguistic abstractions.

Any light shed on this will be most attentively and gratefully received.

Matt

Nice question, one that possibly will never have a definitive answer...
II use to say I'm fluent in English and Spanish, but not in French...
I've been studying English for 16years, French for 10 (but then stopped* 3 years ago) and Spanish for 5 (stopped last year) but I keep practicing both English and Spanish, not French unfortunately (I will re-start it possibly this year)

Then..it's not because of HOW MUCH one studies...(at least..not for me)

I use to say I'm fluent in English and Spanish because when I talk in English or Spanish people understand me...99.999999% of the time...Of course I'm not PERFECT in those languages...I'm not either in MY language (Italian) !!!
So, speaking, it may happen that I don't understand something, or the other person talking to me doesn't understand me...but very rarily (that they don't understand me above all :)) ...
When this happens, I say I'm proficient in that language.
That's why I say I'm proficient in English and Spanish but not in French...I lost my practice...recovering it...I would go back to proficiency in French too...it's just a matter of practice, according to me.

Greetings and Merry Xmas (even if late) and a Happy New Year!

*stopped University/School studies...not "abandoned" the language

clumsy wrote:
It's a term used by people who have never learned any language, to mean "speak well", which is very relative.
I don't like overusing this term, we have special rating systems, who needs such a term anyway?

that's true....I don't like to talk of PROFICIENCY / perfection in a second languagem, since we have various systems to see at which level we are... I just answered the main question in my previous post (I'm not saying this only to clumsy...but to everybody, to avoid questions about "why do you think you're proficient?")

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
From my point of view, you are fluent when you can speak the language without effort, and your grammar, vocabulary and pronunication is good enought to not bother the natives. I considered that I was fluent when I reached the point of "without effort.

Another possible definition of proficiency (if one has to try define it) is:
"When natives don't correct you"...that means, you're good enough not to disturb them, or "sound strange" or make them feel obligated to tell you "you're good!!! congratulations for your English!" (that probably means you're good, but have to improve a lot yet..)

Edited by peppelanguage on 27 December 2010 at 2:01am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 27 of 29
29 December 2010 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
mr_chinnery wrote:
What is fluency?...
Is fluency actually ever achieved?
Is intelligence a pre-requisite of fluency in a second language? Or vice versa even?

As other have pointed out, dictionaries exist and these things have been discussed ad nauseam (I still have piles of olden threads to read when I have time), so lets focus on
Quote:
What I really want to know, is how did you know you were fluent? At what point did you take the plunge and say to friends and family, 'I am now fluent in x.'? What was the exact moment you realised you had advanced proficiency? I am much more interested in hearing your personal perspectives, than being referred to information regarding philosophy/linguistic abstractions.

When I was ~17 I went abroad two consecutive summers for a short period (~1 month) to study my first L2, in one of those exchange programs. That was when I realized I could manage myself entirely in a foreign language without other people helping me. I got lots of compliments from natives, but I was amazed at how much I still lacked (nowadays my most vivid memories of learning a language): I had to resort quite often to dictionaries, ask the meaning of words/expressions, etc. It was still a struggle, I had an 'obvious' accent, and I needed help from natives to follow a movie on TV. Crap, I had mastered the subject for years and it wasn't nearly enough when exposed to 'the real thing.'

The following year I had improved a lot and I went abroad to an international congress on palynology. I met some wonderful people with whom I couldn't communicate because I was too advanced for them to keep up, and I was so excited (conceited, actually) that I didn't know how to get down to their level (I still regret that bitterly). I felt so advanced. Fortunately I met other advanced speakers (native or not I don't know, I only remember their thick Indian accents) who were not so nice but set me back into my place saying that my language skills were OK (just OK? no compliments? argh!).

I kept improving, because at the time that was what I did when I felt I could do better.

~Two years later I was abducted from my university midterm tests to perform as an interpreter for two weeks for some teachers from my former high school, who were going abroad on another exchange program. Everything went well and the two teacher teams even exchanged jokes successfully for an entire evening, with me as the only translator. Still, when I had to translate a speech from one of my old teachers and dear friend, I had to stop him every three sentences or I'd lost track.

Up to that point I had regarded what I had been doing as the very least one could expect form any good student (I considered myself a good student). Later on I resorted to my old teacher for help on how to teach my classmates at uni, and I finally assumed that proficiency deserving that name wasn't too far, after all.

It would still be a few years to the present, and my views on everything (including languages, proficiency, etc.) and motivations went through some major changes, but that's another story and I'm not sure it shall also be told :)
1 person has voted this message useful

ratis
Hexaglot
Germany
Joined 4914 days ago

28 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Czech, Japanese
Studies: Hindi

Message 29 of 29
30 December 2010 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
I personally could live without labels, as long as I don't have to write job
applications, which I had to do a couple of times and I really hated the language
skills part. Labelling my skills as basic or advanced proficiency was not an option. In
German CVs you usually use either "Grundkenntnisse" (elementary knowledge), "fließend"
(fluent) or "verhandlungssicher" (business fluent). I couldn't find myself in any of
them.
I estimated my vocabulary was around 20.000-25.000 words but at the same time I had
hardly ever spoken English in my whole life so I felt anything but fluent.

In the end, after a quick survey among friends, I put in 'fluent' and added a comment
that this mainly referred to my passive skills. I thought that if the language skills
were really that important, they would ask for details anyway. Thanks to the
"disclaimer" I felt at least better about the prospect of a possible surprise interview
in English.

It's so good to have the CEFR now.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version