Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 10
17 December 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Which languages have you learned - do I dare say it - to fluency, without living in the country where the language is spoken? I ask because the only language I feeel I have learned well, without having prolonged stays in the country of origin, is English, which doesn't really count as we are practically invaded by the English language on a daily basis. French and Spanish and Italian I learned "in situ" and the one language I learned in Norway, German, is the one I struggle the most with. My attempts at learning Russian from home feels like running my head against a brick wall. I have come to the conclusion that I am not really made for learning languages at school/self study.I need to live in the country.

Which languages have you had success with learning from home, and how have you done it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Nguyen
Vietnam
Joined 4902 days ago

109 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese

Message 2 of 10
17 December 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
I am just starting Japanese, but, I haven't really studied without being in a country either. It seems as though alot of people have done well here though. We have alot of English here too though but I lived in America for awhile. English learners will certainly find abundant resources.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 10
17 December 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
It's definitely possible, but it depends on the type of fluency you are aiming for.

I've been actively studying Japanese for 2 years and a bit. I've been meeting regularly with native speakers since about 6 months into my study and recently, I've started chatting with natives using Skype. I jump at every opportunity to speak it and I try never to revert back to English. I consider myself "fluent" insofar as I can enjoy conversations with natives and express myself with relative ease. Natives say so too.

However, if you are talking about the kind of fluency a person would reach if they lived in the country and worked at a job where a high level of proficiency was required, then I too have my doubts. For instance, I perceive a difference between the level needed to translate from a language (probably achievable without living there) and the level needed to translate into it or to do interpretation from or into it, the latter most likely not being reachable without living there. I do wonder though how close a person could get to it if they really made a consciencious effort to seek as much exposure as possible. It's certainly not the kind of thing a person could do while studying other languages.

Edited by Arekkusu on 17 December 2010 at 4:59pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4931 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 10
17 December 2010 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I have not done so, but I'm interested to see what others have to say and am going to follow this. Good post Solfrid :)

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5614 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 10
17 December 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
I hope to be able to achieve conversation ability without leaving the USA. I think with
the technology today (I.E. IM and Skype) greatly increases the level you can attain
without travel.

I am going up to Ottawa, ON, Canada in July. So, I have some motivation to up my French
to practice in a natural setting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 6 of 10
17 December 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
budonoseito wrote:
I hope to be able to achieve conversation ability without leaving the USA. I think with
the technology today (I.E. IM and Skype) greatly increases the level you can attain
without travel.

I am going up to Ottawa, ON, Canada in July. So, I have some motivation to up my French

You might have to cross the river...
2 persons have voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5614 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 10
17 December 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
budonoseito wrote:
I hope to be able to achieve conversation ability
without leaving the USA. I think with
without travel.

You might have to cross the river...

Yes, two ferry rides into Kingston.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version