LazyLinguist
United Kingdom
Joined 5397 days ago

105 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 329 of 392
21 August 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry to hear that you're in times of trouble Phillip, and I hope whatever has been
giving you rough times will calm down soon. 1.25 hours is no disaster, and I'm sure we
all still respect you and wish the best for you.

"Immer wenn du denkst, es geht nicht mehr, kommt irgendwo ein Lichtlein her"
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 330 of 392
21 August 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
All great achievers draw upon the lows in life to fuel them on to ever higher peaks. And whilst this is one of those abominable lows, I guarantee these dark clouds will soon pass and open up to bright new possibilities. So there's no doubt in my mind that when you're ready to hit back with an extra dose of awesomeness, and I know you will mate, you'll bounce back stronger and more resolute than ever!

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 331 of 392
21 August 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
First of all, hello, because I'm relatively new here and I haven't commented here yet. I guess it won't be a consolation for you, but we are in the same language boat (just you're more "in apple-pie order"), learning several of them at the same time, and during the last week I also haven't been able to do something particularly useful if it comes to my learning - even without serious problems.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5258 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 332 of 392
22 August 2011 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
დილა მშვიდობისა იაპონიიდან, ფილიპე! So sorry to hear you're feeling down. Hopefully
all these messages of support, including my own, from the many people who care for you
here and are amazed and impressed by your language-learning brilliance will make you feel
a little more cheerful. 17 can be a little crazy, but it gets better.

mirab3lla
Triglot
United Kingdom
lang-8.com/220477Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5237 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 333 of 392
23 August 2011 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Come on, Philip, you are a great language learner. Needless to say, you are favourite my language learner! Don't let life's simple tricks bring you down! Hai că poți!

However, I will post my favourite depression song, perhaps it will make you feel better, too: Coldplay-Fix you. Lots of chocolate, hot tea, and a short pause when you do nothing but watch stupid comedies (like American Pie) or read cheesy chic-lit books (Bridget Jones' Diary used to be the one I read most during those times, but I guess it only works for women) always get me back on my feet. As TixhiiDon already said. 17 can be a little crazy, but it gets better!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5936 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 334 of 392
27 August 2011 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
Quarter 3: Russian, Japanese
Week 34: August 20 – August 26

Total Study Time This Week: 1 hour
Total Study Time in 2011: 490.25 hours

Average Study Time This Week: 0.14 hours/day
Average Study Time in 2011: 2.06 hours/day

I have even less to comment on than last week, but at least this week emotional breakdowns are not to blame. I don’t know what I was thinking in the spring when I signed up for this year’s classes because I currently have a suicidal schedule featuring six AP classes plus normal-level chemistry, which might as well be AP too because of the difficulty. The result of that is that I have had zero time all week to do anything at all language-related. My afternoons and evenings have literally consisted of homework, more homework, dinner, yet more homework, even more homework, and then collapsing exhausted into bed, wondering what on earth was wrong with me when I thought that this would be a good idea. At the very least I can say that I genuinely like my classes and teachers for the most part – even chemistry, where I have the supposedly “mean” teacher, isn’t that bad and has been a very pleasant surprise in some ways. I also ended up with AP Psychology this year since AP European History wouldn’t fit into my schedule, but it’s been pretty fun and we’re studying memory and how not to forget at the moment, which seems like it could be helpful in language study. My teacher has guaranteed us that by the end of the unit he will have improved our memory by at least 10%, which is always a plus. Of course, I also have my Japanese and German classes so I am getting language exposure to at least one of those two every day, and the one hour of study I recorded this week was doing homework for my German class.

I should note that when I mentioned being in a pit of despair last week, that was not at all caused by the fact that I had done so little study. In fact, it was exactly the other way around. In any case, it was due to a repeat of the same unpleasant personal stuff as in May, but I’m feeling better now and I would certainly have studied if I had had the time. Just to clear that up a bit, because I think I may have been a tad unclear. Anyway, thank you for all the wonderful messages of support! They were really quite helpful. :)

Deutsch
Total Study Time This Week: 1 hour
Total Study Time in 2011: 29 hours

- German “Tagebuch”
- Vocabulary

Like I said before, the only study time I managed to get in was doing German homework. In this case it was writing in my Tagebuch about everything I did this summer, along with some necessary vocabulary that went along with that. I was rather afraid that Dutch had taken over my German in the past few months that I hadn’t done anything with it, but I’ve been pleased to note that the German part of my brain has reawakened fairly painlessly with only a bit of interference from Dutch here and there. I’ve even taken to using German as a secret language with a good friend of mine who’s a native speaker and we’ve been having very fluid conversations in it in the past few days. Ooh, I need to add that to the Twitter Bot!

OTHER
I’m absolutely exhausted right now and don’t have the time to respond to each comment individually, but I’d just like to say thanks to everyone as a whole once more. This is just one of the reasons I love keeping a language log on here, because you can count on the support of this wonderful community even when it feels like the rest of the world doesn’t understand you.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 335 of 392
06 September 2011 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Do you realize that you are getting close to the 500 hour mark. That is absolutely amazing!

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4877 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 336 of 392
12 September 2011 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Hopefully, both school pressure and your nerves calmed down a bit in the last weeks. Maybe, if you would add your class hours, your numbers would look much better. Or are they that bad? However, I wish you luck for the last 30% of the year! ; )

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version