1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 345 of 392
03 October 2011 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Hallo ellasevia,

Es tut mir Leid, aber es fällt mir schwer, dir auf Englisch zu schreiben, also
schreibe ich auf Deutsch - für diejenigen, die es schon nicht wissen, schreiben
ellasevia und ich normalerweise in unseren Fremdsprachen, also für mich ist das eine so
starke Gewöhnheit geworden, dass es für mich zu seltsam ist, an ellasevia auf Englisch
zu schreiben. Die Mehrheit der Leute, die neulich hier kommentiert haben, haben den
Schein, Deutsch zu verstehen, also finde ich es in Ordnung, auf Deutsch zu schreiben.

Deine graphische Darstellung finde ich sehr beeindruckend - du scheinst, dieses Jahr
viel Arbeit gemacht zu haben - viel mehr Arbeit als ich, also gratuliere ich dir :] Du
sollst ja sehr stolz auf dich sein. Ich denke, es ist ja sehr nutzlich, eine optische
Darstellung der Stunden zu haben, die wir beim Sprachlernen gemacht haben. Ich wünsche
mir, ich hätte die nötigen technischen Kenntnisse, diese graphischen Darstellungen zu
verwenden :P

For those of you who don't understand German, I've said that ellasevia's graph is
really impressive (actually more "mindblowing") and that he should be really proud of
himself - I'm a perfectionist, like very many of us here, and beat myself up about not
progressing in some way every single day, I'm terrible at giving myself any kind of
leeway, and I'd be proud if that graph were mine.

Gut gemacht ellasevia, Kopf hoch und weiter so!

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 03 October 2011 at 1:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5936 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 346 of 392
14 October 2011 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
The past couple weeks have been fairly "bleh" as far as language study goes and I have accomplished almost nothing. However, right now I'm so happy that even the most expressive language can't even begin to put the emotion into words. This is completely unrelated to languages, I know, but I just feel that with this amazing feeling will come renewed motivation for study in the near future. Time is still not guaranteed, but at least the motivation will be present. I can't even believe how happy I am right now!!!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 347 of 392
16 October 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Dear ellasevia, a couple of weeks with little study and great happiness, sounds absolutely perfect for you. Hold on to that feeling, there will always be enough time to study later, but a feeling of total happiness is something wonderful, whether the reason is that you won in the lottery, found out that someone you love loves you, have been accepted to the college you want to attend or have received a scolarship to go to a foreign country.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 348 of 392
16 October 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
It's great to hear you're finally taking some well-deserved time out! I'm half-tempted to ask whether this new fountain of happiness is love-related? ;)

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5936 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 349 of 392
23 October 2011 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Quarter 4: German, Swahili
Weeks 40-42: October 1 – October 21

Total Study Time This Week: 8.25 hours (3 week total)
Total Study Time in 2011: 529 hours

Average Study Time This Week: 0.39 hours/day (3 week total)
Average Study Time in 2011: 1.79 hours/day

Three weeks later and I’m back again with a new update. Unfortunately there is really not much to report; I have done fewer hours of study this entire month than I would normally do during just one week. I can’t put the blame fully on school, though, since I do seem to be spending a fair amount of time staring blankly into space and rolling around on the floor, but that might have something to do with my near-constant sleep deprivation.

Although I had not originally intended October to be a break from study, I have decided to use that as my official excuse after reading Teango’s comment. So I’m officially on a break from studying until the end of this month and hopefully I’ll be refreshed enough to make some real progress in November. I just signed up for the November 6WC this morning, and my focus language will be Swahili. Speaking of Swahili, I’ve done quite a bit of thinking about it, but no actual study of it.

DEUTSCH
Total Study Time This Week: 3 hours (3 week total)
Total Study Time in 2011: 45 hours

- Reading Homework and Tagebuch for German Class
- Vocabulary

My German studies continue to be thoroughly unexciting, so instead I’ll talk about what we’re doing in my German class at school. We’ve been slowly working our way through the play Die Physiker by Friedrich Dürrenmatt. It takes place in a Swiss mental institute where the patients, who think they are famous physicists, have been strangling the nurses. I don’t think it’s very difficult at all and it’s quite funny, but we’ve been taking our time so that we can read and act it all out in class. Despite the fact that I hate talking in front of groups of people and can’t act at all, I’ve taken to playing the main characters (primarily Möbius) because I’d rather mangle the German pronunciation myself than have to listen to my classmates sound their way through each word. That probably sounds overly critical, but sadly it’s the truth.

Svenska
Total Study Time This Week: 1 hour (3 week total)
Total Study Time in 2011: 47 hours

- Song
- Something which I forgot to write down

I learned a song in Swedish and learned the new words in it and so forth. And then I did something else which I can’t remember at the moment because I evidently forgot to write down what it was in my study spreadsheet.

Fraais
Total Study Time This Week: 2 hours (3 week total)
Total Study Time in 2011: 48.75 hours

- Letter in French

I wrote another letter in French a couple weeks ago, and then did something else. Like with Swedish, though, I seem to have forgotten to write down what this mysterious activity was. I’m a bit disorganized…or as I prefer to phrase it, I’m organized to the point of disorganization.

Ελληνικά
Total Study Time This Week: 1.5 hours (3 week total)
Total Study Time in 2011: 61.5 hours

- Writing in Greek
- Tatoeba

I’m still writing a lot of random stuff for myself in Greek and I’ve found that I really enjoy writing in Greek. I don’t have a lot of trouble with it and it comes fairly naturally, I just wish my vocabulary were bigger so that I could express myself better. In the same vein as enjoying writing in Greek, I’ve done a fair amount of translating sentences into Greek on Tatoeba in the past few weeks.

Total Study Time This Week: 0.75 hours (3 week total)
Total Study Time in 2011: 51.25 hours

- Vocabulary

Nope, none of my own Japanese studies. That would have been too good to be true. This vocabulary study was just for my class. And wow, I didn’t think I was this disorganized. Apparently I did something else for Japanese and again forgot to note what it was. Oh well.

OTHER
@LanguageSponge: Danke schön, Jack. Ich habe dir schon ein PM geschrieben, aber wenn du noch Hilfe bei den Darstellungen brauchst, bin ich immer froh, dir zu helfen.
@Solfrid Cristin: I agree, being happy is definitely worth a couple weeks’ worth of no study. And it’s funny that you should mention the various causes that you did because all of those, with the exception of the lottery, are related to things that have been floating around in my mind recently. In fact, I’m going to an informational meeting tomorrow afternoon to learn about the exchange program that I’m going to apply for.
@Teango: As I mentioned before, this “time out” wasn’t planned that way at all, but we can pretend that it was. And as for your question… maybe. :)

Edited by ellasevia on 23 October 2011 at 8:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5487 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 350 of 392
23 October 2011 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Hey ellasevia, I know it's kind of pointless, but I just wanted to drop in to say how happy it makes me to know that you're in a good way yourself. :) I think it's a fantastic idea to make October be a "rest month", especially considering how intense a month it usually is related to academics, as people gear up for the year and prepare for midterm exams and so on.

Also, I made a new German friend the other day and she recommended Dürrenmatt to me – first time I'd ever heard of him. "Die Physiker" happened to be the exact play she recommended! Reading about it here just a few days later is too much of a coincidence – that book is going on my reading list. Your description of it sounds fun.

Uuups, ich habe gerade festgestellt, dass ich dir eher auf Deutsch geschrieben sollen hatte, genauso wie Jack. Tut mir Leid, vielleicht merke ich es nächstes Mal. :)

Edited by Jinx on 24 October 2011 at 12:24pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5258 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 351 of 392
24 October 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
Hey ellasevia, I know it's kind of pointless, but I just wanted to drop in
to say how happy it makes me to know that you're in a good way yourself. :)

Seconded. ძალიან მიხარია, რომ შენ ბედნიერი ხარ.

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4826 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 352 of 392
24 October 2011 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Ik vind het echt heel knap wat je doet, en een korte pauze is niks om je voor te schamen. Ik ben zelf ook 16 (bijna 17 :D) en weet hoe moeilijk het kan zijn het leren van talen, naast school, vrienden en uitgaan (of kan je in the states pas op je 21ste uit?) te doen. Ik vind die lijst van talen die je hebt ook om jaloers van te worden! Mijzelf lukt het alleen om Frans en Duits te leren en daarnaast nog een beetje in het Japans, Spaans en Indonesisch te, dabbelen (zo noemen jullie het hier, toch?)

Edited by ReQuest on 24 October 2011 at 10:09am

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version