Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

German in 1 week. Jk, more like 10 years.

Tags: German | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 13
28 December 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Okay so, I've gotten to the point in French where I can hold my own when conversing with a native speaker. Though not very gracefully, and with errors. Anyways, I feel stable enough in that area for me to pick up 1 more language. I was deciding between German and Russian, I ended up picking German. My dad knows German grammar inside and out, or so he says. Plus his communicative skills aren't so shabby, also according to him. So I think he'll be a great help. Plus after reading Mark Twain's hilarious article The Awful German Language I couldn't help but fall even more madly in love with German, no joke. So the goal isn't really 10 years. In case you haven't figured that out. I think an update every couple days is good, no? I know that I'm probably not going to get many replies or readers, but if you do read and/or reply, thanks :P

I guess I should start off with what I've learned so far. Apart from skimming through my all new super awesome German phrase book and learning how to say disabled toilet in German, I have also learned how the cases work (thanks to my papa) and I found out that declensions aren't so scary.

I guess I'll also record my French practice that I do each day, but the focus (of this log) will remain on German.

Edited by CheeseInsider on 28 December 2010 at 9:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5306 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 2 of 13
29 December 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
CheeseInsider wrote:
...Plus after reading Mark Twain's hilarious article The Awful German
Language I couldn't help but fall even more madly in love with German, no joke. ...

I remember reading that article in class :P

Good luck with your studies!
2 persons have voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5151 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 3 of 13
29 December 2010 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your language studies, CheeseInsider!!! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 4 of 13
29 December 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Hmm okay, I studied after I wrote my first log post yesterday. So I don't know if I should write about that now, even though I have yet to study today... I think I'll just study now, then write about yesterday's study session and today's in one post.

Good idea Mike *pats himself* :P

Thanks Canada38 and Noriyuki Nomura :D I think I'm going to need all the luck I can get!

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 5 of 13
29 December 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Ok so I have finished my German practice.

Yesterday I went through my Scientific German textbook (Not really fond of the Scientific part) and I read some paragraphs. Understanding only the highest frequency words. But at the end of it I retained a lot of the new vocabulary, though not all of it. Then after that, I went onto study some grammar. Learning about how the adjective takes over the last letter of the definite article when it goes together with the indefinite article, or when there is no article at all. As in "ein deutscher student" deutscher takes the r from the definite article "der" if it were there. It was confusing at first, then it clicked and I got it :P also learned about gender of nouns and stuff. This all with the help of my dad.

Before I did that though I did 4 lessons of the Michel Thomas German course, chapter 1.

Today I read 2 paragraphs in my textbook (I'm going chapter by chapter by the way) understanding again only some of what was going on. But my dad of course explained what everything meant to me, then I had to read it again. Okay, then moved on to grammar.

I think from now on I'll spare you guys from explanations of what grammar I've learned haha.

Then I did lesson 5-10 of Michel Thomas, finishing the first chapter of the foundation course.

Ohhhhh and I downloaded a German spellchecker :P

Anyways, some sentences I can put together now are:

Es tut mir Leid, aber Ich weiss (weiß?) nicht wo es ist. Ich kann es nicht finden. Können sie mit mir es finden? Wir verstehen sie nicht sehr gut. Ich will sie essen!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm a cannibal. Wollen sie her kommen? Wir wollen gehen. Ich will heute es sehen, aber nicht jetzt. Wir können heute abend es sehen. Verstehen sie mich?

So that's about all I know right now...

I must say, the "ch" sound in German is my absolute favourite sound in the entire world. It's so awesome! Second place goes to the Dutch "g", gotta love those sexy gutteral noises.

Onto French, okay yesterday I watched 1 and a half hours of French television with French captions (the perfect combination) as I am in dire need of upping my listenig skills.

I plan on watching at least 1 hour of French tv everyday, so I'm off to do that now!

Edited by CheeseInsider on 29 December 2010 at 11:27pm

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 6 of 13
03 January 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Due to business, largely because of New Years, I haven't done much German practice aside from reading maybe 10 different beginner articles on Lingq.com these past few days. As for French I watched 1 hour of an okay movie about some bugs travelling into space. I am determined to go through my French and German routine tomorrow no matter what :)

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 7 of 13
07 January 2011 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
German is going well, able to put together simple sentences in the past and future tense now. Have learned conjugations in the Sie(you) and Wir form. As well as in the Sie(she), Er, and Ich form. Also lightly touched on Die but I forgot the rules for it, oops :P

French is excellent, watched the pink panther movie yesterday in French with French captions, understood enough of the story for it to be hilarious, so that's a good sign I think :)

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 

Message 8 of 13
10 January 2011 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
German yay :P

Okay, so I've been doing the Michel Thomas German foundation, I just finished chapter 4 yesterday. I also started Deutsch Warum Nicht? I don't know how effective it will be, it seems to be going along at a slower pace than Michel Thomas. But I like the lessons, they're fun so I'll continue with them :)

So about German grammar... Whew. Alright let me try some sentences:

Ich kann nicht mit ihnen gehen. Den ich bin sehr müde. Ich werde zu hause bleiben. Wollen sie mit mir nach hause kommen? Ich tue es gern. Aber Ich bin beschäftigt.

Easy enough right? Unless I got them wrong... Well here's the hard part for me:

Ich weiss nicht was sie mir sagen will. Ich möchte nicht etwas trinken weil Ich etwas essen möchte. Ich verstehe sie nicht sehr gut weil Ich sehr müde bin. Ich weiss um wie viel uhr Ich kommen muss. Wissen sie wass Ich ihnen sagen will? Er kommt hier nicht weil er heute sehr beschäftigt sein werde.

I hope I got those right :P

Onto French :) I'm getting a French movie channel so maybe now there will be interesting things to watch :P Instead of the occasional movie (that usually is terrible).

So I don't know if this will work or not but I'm going to try and think in as much French as possible... We'll see what happens :)

––Edit––

Actually I don't know if any of my previous sentences are correct... Cause I just found out that zu goes before the verb when there is an adjective or noun before it in the sentence. As in:

Ich möchte die Gelegenheit es zu sehen. Ich habe nicht sehr oft die Gelegenheit dortin zu gehen. Ich habe keine Gelegenheit es zu trinken. Er habt nicht sehr oft die Gelegenheit sie zu sehen. Haben sie nicht immer die Gelegenheit mich zu sehen?

Sorry for using sehen so much, it's either sehen or essen and I don't think "Haben sie nicht immer die Gelegenheit mich zu essen" would be very appropriate :P

And I only know Gelegenheit, I'll learn some more nouns later.

Did I get those right? German is so bad for my brain cells, they're being fried :(

Edited by CheeseInsider on 10 January 2011 at 5:10pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version