Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What is the Best Arabic Method?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Which in your opinion is the Best Arabic Self-Instruction Method?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [34.48%]
9 [31.03%]
2 [6.90%]
6 [20.69%]
2 [6.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

27 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6069 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 17 of 27
06 January 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if it is the best, as I have no experience of the others, but I have made a fair bit of headway with the FSI Hejazi course. I am now reviewing it as well as working on the FSI Written Arabic course. It will take more, much more, to arrive at Arabic fluency, but I think I am well on the way.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6026 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 27
06 January 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
I don't know if it is the best, as I have no experience of the others, but I have made a fair
bit of headway with the FSI Hejazi course. I am now reviewing it as well as working on the FSI Written Arabic course.
It will take more, much more, to arrive at Arabic fluency, but I think I am well on the way.

Curious,   have you been able to speak to and be understood by non Saudis using the Hijazi Arabic you have
learned?   I have heard it is a relatively well understood dialect by non-Saudis.
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6069 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 19 of 27
07 January 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
William Camden wrote:
I don't know if it is the best, as I have no experience of the others, but I have made a fair
bit of headway with the FSI Hejazi course. I am now reviewing it as well as working on the FSI Written Arabic course.
It will take more, much more, to arrive at Arabic fluency, but I think I am well on the way.

Curious,   have you been able to speak to and be understood by non Saudis using the Hijazi Arabic you have
learned?   I have heard it is a relatively well understood dialect by non-Saudis.

Palestinians and Iraqis have understood the simple phrases I use, and it will be a while before I can say complicated things. I have been "corrected" a few times. For example, in answer to "how are you?", I said ana zeen to a Palestinian woman, and she replied, "We say ana mnii9a." She understood ana zeen, however, which is a Saudi/Iraqi way of saying "I am fine." She merely put forward her own dialect's alternative. Hejazi does seem to be a widely understood colloquial.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6026 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 20 of 27
12 January 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
liddytime wrote:
William Camden wrote:

Palestinians and Iraqis have understood the simple phrases I use, and it will be a while before I can say complicated things. I have been "corrected" a few times. For example, in answer to "how are you?", I said ana zeen to a Palestinian woman, and she replied, "We say ana mnii9a." She understood ana zeen, however, which is a Saudi/Iraqi way of saying "I am fine." She merely put forward her own dialect's alternative. Hejazi does seem to be a widely understood colloquial.

That's interesting!    Yeah,   L evantine and Egyptian Arabic speakers have told me that unless a speaker has a really obscure dialect ( or is from the Maghreb) they can communicate pretty easily across dialects.

As a side note, my Ahlan wa Sahlan 2nd Edition just arrived!! :-) My current Arabic plan of attack is to try to do one lesson of the new Assimil Arabic ( the new French one) course each day.    

I have also re-visited the DLI MSA course and I must say that it seems MUCH better going through it the 2nd time around. There are a ton of audio drills that "get me speaking".   

I will try to use Ahlan wa Sahlan (2nd edition) & get through roughly a chapter a week. Ahlan wa Sahlan to me seems much more user friendly for self-learners than Al Kitaab which seems more geared for classroom use.    This puts me at about an hour of Arabic study time a day. I'm already finding that I can understand more and more of Arabic newscasts ( like the Al Jazeera podcasts) than I could even a month ago. OK, still not very much but I can definitely pick out a few words I recognize in their sentences. ....

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6069 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 21 of 27
13 January 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
That does seem to be the major gulf in the Arabic colloquials - between Eastern dialects and Maghrebi ones.
I have mentioned this before on this forum, but there is an interesting account given by Vladimir Peniakoff of his efforts to recruit Libyan Bedouin to supporting the Allied cause in WWII. Peniakoff was Belgian-born, of Russian descent, and he spoke colloquial Egyptian Arabic, which he learned while working in Egypt before the war. He made a speech in Egyptian colloquial and was understood. When one chieftain later declaimed some Classical Arabic poetry by the campfire, Peniakoff could not understand his language.

dip
Diglot
Joined 5405 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: Italian, Persian

Message 22 of 27
17 January 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
if you plan to properly use your arabic and don't wanna sound like Shakespeare pick up a course based on a spoken dialect(eastern/levantine or egyptian) ex this one is great for levantine www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/cup_detail.taf?ti_id=5415
3 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6069 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 23 of 27
18 January 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
liddytime wrote:
William Camden wrote:
I don't know if it
is the best, as I have no experience of the others, but I have made a fair
bit of headway with the FSI Hejazi course. I am now reviewing it as well as working on
the FSI Written Arabic course.
It will take more, much more, to arrive at Arabic fluency, but I think I am well on the
way.

Curious,   have you been able to speak to and be understood by non Saudis using the
Hijazi Arabic you have

Palestinians and Iraqis have understood the simple phrases I use, and it will be a
while before I can say complicated things. I have been "corrected" a few times. For
example, in answer to "how are you?", I said ana zeen to a Palestinian woman,
and she replied, "We say ana mniiHa." She understood ana zeen, however,
which is a Saudi/Iraqi way of saying "I am fine." She merely put forward her own
dialect's alternative. Hejazi does seem to be a widely understood colloquial.

Edited: slight correction - mniiHa, not mnii9a

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6026 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 24 of 27
21 January 2011 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
dip wrote:
if you plan to properly use your arabic and don't wanna sound like Shakespeare pick up a course based on a spoken dialect(eastern/levantine or egyptian) ex this one is great for levantine www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/cup_detail.taf?ti_id=5415

That does look like a good course. I'm bogged down in Arabic courses right now though!! :-)   

The Cornell website has all the DVD clips online. They are good fun even without the book!

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version