Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What is the Best Arabic Method?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Which in your opinion is the Best Arabic Self-Instruction Method?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [34.48%]
9 [31.03%]
2 [6.90%]
6 [20.69%]
2 [6.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6026 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 25 of 27
22 January 2011 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO EDIT THE POLL CHOICES???!?!

I wanted to remove the Orange Michigan EMSA course and Linguaphone on the poll and replace them with Living Language Ultimate Arabic and the Cornell Younes Course.

Seems like once the poll choices are done it isn't editable though.

Is it possible to edit the poll choices??
1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6026 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 26 of 27
14 February 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
2/2011 update:

I have sampled/studied most of the choices reviewed so far on the list.
Believe it or not, I have found Ultimate Arabic :

Language/dp/1400020824/ref=tmm_pap_title_2?ie=UTF8&qid=12977 18819&sr=8-1">Ultimate Arabic

and Living Language Complete Arabic: The Basics :

ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297718891&sr=8-2">Complete Arabic

( which was an absolute STEAL for 5 bucks used on Amazon!) the most useful to this point for self study.    I have
gotten through Lesson 7 of each and I can already understand little bits and pieces of news clips on Al Jazeera
and RT news. They actually complement each other nicely and give a good MSA baseline vocabulary.

The annoying things are;   with Ultimate Arabic - WHY only 15 units of MSA ?!?!?! WHY?!?!?!! The course would
have been SOOOO much better to do 40 MSA lessons then produce mini-courses of each of the dialects. Does
anyone really learn a smattering of every dialect?!?!

... And with Complete Arabic - why no written Arabic? The transliteration is really strange as well. It uses an "x"
for 'ayn - HUH?!!

Still, they are both great for self study. My plan is to complete the 15 units of each and then... sigh ... tackle Al
Kitaab.   Al Kitaab really seems to be the only course than takes learners past a low-intermediate level. I suppose
the MSA course would as well, but it is sooooo dry and the tape recordings are pretty crackly and fatigue the
ears after a while. A new edition of Al-Kitaab is also apparently coming out this spring. Perhaps it will have
some useful updates, inshallah!!

Edited by liddytime on 15 February 2011 at 1:41am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5644 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 27
15 February 2011 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO EDIT THE POLL CHOICES???!?!

I wanted to remove the Orange Michigan EMSA course and Linguaphone on the poll and replace them with Living Language Ultimate Arabic and the Cornell Younes Course.

Seems like once the poll choices are done it isn't editable though.

Is it possible to edit the poll choices??

Good question! As far as the experience with my own polls goes, I would say that it's impossible to edit a poll afterwards. Or has anybody ever edited a poll?

Fasulye

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version