Norway
Joined 5153 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 34
01 January 2011 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
snovymgodom wrote:

Solfrid Cristin, it can't be too bad in Norway though! I've never been over there - the only Scandinavian country I've been to is Finland (Helsinki), which was for three days. I would like to visit the rest of Scandinavia too though. :)

Norway is great, it's just not the right place to practise Russian, that's all:) If you do come to Scandinavia, you are welcome to come and stay anytime. Visitors are always welcome in our home.

Oh, and I am afraid you have never been to a Scandinavian country, because Finland is not a Scandinavian country,:) It is one of the Nordic countries, but only Sweden, Norway and Denmark are actually Scandinavian countries.
1 person has voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 10 of 34
02 January 2011 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Hi snovymgodom! It's great to have you on team Ж and we will all do our best to keep you motivated. Thanks for linking to all of those materials; it is a huge help. I look forward to reading your log this year.

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5544 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian

Message 11 of 34
02 January 2011 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
Solfrid, yes, you're right - I confused "Scandinavian" with "Nordic". I have also been to Estonia, which is not officially Nordic, but some Estonians like to affiliate themselves with Nordic rather than Baltic people. :)

Nogoodnik, thanks, and I'm glad you find the links useful! I will continue sharing things as I find them.

---

As for the first official day of TAC, 1 ЯНВАРЯ 2011, it was fairly productive.
Last night I spent some time on Vkontakte wishing my Russian friends and acquaintances a happy new year, with personalized messages for the people whom I am especially close with. I've been exchanging messages with people on Vkontakte a lot today. It was great to reconnect, since I hadn't spoken to some of these people in months, and hadn't seen most of them in person since I was in Russia.

One of my Russian friends who studies in Japan linked me to her blog on Livejournal, of which I've read several postings - not only for the reading practice, but because I was legitimately interested in the content. She used some interesting expressions (I mentioned this to her, and she said she made up a few of them herself :-) )

I also listened to some music on Vkontakte, read a little more from my linguistics book, and also a little bit from the Russian Wikipedia.

One of my favorite sentences from the blog:
"Конечно, японские женщины поначалу смотрели на меня как на слона в индюшатнике."
Of course, at first the Japanese women looked at me as if I were an elephant in a turkey-house.

отвалить домой - to go home (colloquial - отвали is akin to "Scat!" "Beat it!")
отмазываться - to make up an excuse: "не отмазывайся теперь!!!"
все идет своим чередом - everything is ok (literally, everything is going its own course)
вольготный - eased, alleviated
как охотник с тамагавком - "like a hunter with a Tomahawk" - she made up this expression, but it implies "hungrily"
разбрасываться красными флагами - to throw around red flags (a term to describe when you cry out in shock when experiencing cultural differences)

There were other words/expressions I gathered from today, but they were not as interesting to put up here.

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5544 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 

Message 12 of 34
03 January 2011 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
2 ЯНВАРЯ 2011
I spent more time exchanging messages on Vkontakte and also got caught up in a hospital-themed game. It's one of those Farmville-esque kind of games, but it was all in Russian which was cool. I also finished reading my Russian friend's blog about Japan and took notes on a lot of words and expressions. I still have to go back to my notes and do some research on those words/expressions and eventually put them into Anki, though.
Other than listening to Russian music, that's all I really accomplished today, since I got distracted with some other things.

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5544 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 

Message 13 of 34
04 January 2011 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
3 января 2010
Wrote some more messages to friends, started reading Волшебник, a short story by Nabokov. I looked up some of the words I encountered yesterday on the blog but unfortunately some of them I couldn't find in a dictionary - some Russians clearly like to make up their own words to convey new meanings. :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5153 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 34
04 January 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Good, steady work I am impressed! I would also love to be at your level :)

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5544 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 

Message 15 of 34
05 January 2011 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
4 января 2010
Alas, today wasn't too productive - I suffered from wanderlust today because I was intrigued by that some words in German were the same or similar as Russian words (either due to loans or because of the common Indo-European roots), and I started fooling around. I did some Russian transcription and reading though, but not as much as I would have liked. Oh well, there's always tomorrow!

Solfrid, I have no doubt you'll reach my level and surpass it with time!

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5544 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 

Message 16 of 34
06 January 2011 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
I had to do some work today regarding graduate school applications, didn't really get around to intense Russian today. :(

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version