bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5238 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 26 of 34
13 January 2011 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
толка один вопросит но, что вы делали в Алматы? я там был и очень понравился, я тоже хотел бы вернуть туда.

Hopefully that is right, or at least close to being right. I´m still not the best when it comes to writing Russian.

Edited by bramsterdam on 13 January 2011 at 8:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arti
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6823 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 27 of 34
13 January 2011 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
bramsterdam wrote:
толка один вопросит но, что вы сделали в Алматы? я там был и очень
понравился, я тоже хотел бы вернуть туда.

Hopefully that is right, or at least close to being right. I´m still not the best when it
comes to writing Russian.

Some corrections if you don't mind:
ТолЬкО один вопрос, но, что Вы делали в Алма-Ате? Я там был и мне очень понравилось, я
тоже хотел бы верутьСЯ туда.

Arti
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6823 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 28 of 34
13 January 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Well if you find any
a) short and
b) beautiful or
c) funny poetry
then be sure to post it!

Short and funny?
What about black humour? :) These short rhymes are very popular in Russia:

Маленький мальчик на хмуром рассвете
Крысу живую закрыл в туалете.
Первым вошел туда папа. Бедняжка!
Без ягодиц будет жить ему тяжко.

Have fun with translation ;)

More can be found here http://www.black-humor.ru/read/child.shtml or just find through
yandex "стихи про маленького мальчика".[

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5238 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 29 of 34
13 January 2011 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Arti wrote:
bramsterdam wrote:
толка один вопросит но, что вы делали в Алматы? я там был и очень
понравился, я тоже хотел бы вернуть туда.

Hopefully that is right, or at least close to being right. I´m still not the best when it
comes to writing Russian.

Some corrections if you don't mind:
ТолЬкО один вопрос, но, что Вы делали в Алма-Ате? Я там был и мне очень понравилось, я
тоже хотел бы верутьСЯ туда.

Thanks, I'm still not 100% clear on when to add the -ся to some verbs. Could you maybe clarify that for me? I've gone through it but still it's a little cloudy..

Edited by bramsterdam on 13 January 2011 at 9:01pm

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5536 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian

Message 30 of 34
14 January 2011 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone. I haven't updated in a few days because of my busy schedule (and lack of reliable internet). So my first week of classes have ended (since I have no classes on Friday), and the good thing is that this semester is going to be the most "Russian" semester ever, aside from the semesters I spent abroad in Russia. I say this because four of my five classes have something to do with Russia, even though only one of the classes involves me actually speaking the language (though my Russian film class allows me to at least listen). It's good because constantly thinking about Russia this semester will be beneficial, getting me in the mood for next year, which brings me to my next point.

One good thing is that since I had originally intended to increase my viewing of Russian movies/films, this class will force me to watch even more films than I had originally intended! So far I have watched Иваново детство, Летят журавли, and in class we watched excerpts from Вор and Падение Берлина. In our class we are focusing on war-themed films at the moment, so that is why all of the films mentioned here are about World War II.

I found out this week that I was accepted into the MA Russian program at Middlebury College! I just still have to receive my financial aid information, but other than that, it looks like I'm set for next year. I'm not 100% sure where I'll be going at the moment - that will be more evident during the summer.

Bramsterdam, Arti corrected your mistakes, but I'll tell you this - even with your mistakes, I was able to understand what you were trying to say.

Я в Алма-Ате учился. Официально я там изучал казахский язык, пользуясь ресурсами, написанными на русском языке. Но в то время я говорил по-русски хуже, чем сейчас.

Also, as for the distinction between Алма-Ата and Алматы, both spellings are correct. "Алматы" is more common in Kazakhstan (since it is spelled that way in the Kazakh language as well), while "Алма-Ата" is more common in the Russian Federation.

As for the -ся verbs, it's best at first to memorize which ones have them. A lot of times -ся verbs have a reflexive or impersonal meaning, but there are also transitive -ся verbs (though they never take the accusative case).

In the case of вернуть and вернуться, the former means to return something (вернуть книгу - to return a book), while the latter is when you are talking about someone returning to a previous place.

And finally...this is not a poem, but a fun symbolist text about the Russian vowels.

Я, Ю, Ё, И суть заостренные, истонченные А, У, О, Ы. Я - явное, ясное,
      яркое. Я это Ярь. Ю - вьющееся, как плющ, и льющееся в струю. Ё - таящий
      легкий мёд, цветик - лён. И - извив рытвины Ы, рытвины непроходимой, ибо и
      выговорить Ы невозможно, без твердой помощи согласного звука. Смягченные
      звуковести Я, Ю, Ё, И всегда имеют лик извившегося змия, или изломанной
      линии струи, или яркой ящерки, или это ребёнок, котёнок, соколёнок, или это
      юркая рыбка вьюн.

By the way, my favorite letter of the Russian language is Ы.

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5536 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian

Message 31 of 34
21 January 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone!

I'm still alive, and I haven't given up on the TAC. However, I've been busy both due to non-Russian social commitments and my classes (so far I've had two full weeks of classes, but fortunately my Fridays are free). Unfortunately I haven't been as productive as I was when I was regularly updating. One of the biggest problems is that the Internet in my room is still having problems, and now I can't even get through using my phone's internet (it suddenly decided to prompt me with a password, which I don't know). So if things don't change, I won't have internet in my dorm for the rest of the semester, and I'm going to have to go to the library whenever I want to check anything. Which is really annoying. BUT, in reality I should not complain, since I am not homeless or ill or anything like that...this is just a MINOR inconvenience.

For my poetry class, my work is cut out for me. Same with my film class (even though we aren't tested on language-related stuff there). I'll see one of my Russian friends tonight and we'll have a good talk I'm sure.

Perhaps I should start writing down unknown words and definitions again. Not in Anki or anything like that, since I've had lots of bad luck this year with technology, but on actual paper.

Edit: Oh, by the way, last weekend one of my friends visited, who is a fellow TAC'er. He doesn't study Russian, but he studies Japanese (and is also working on Chinese and Korean).

Edited by snovymgodom on 21 January 2011 at 11:18pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 32 of 34
25 January 2011 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
You have my sympathy on the lack of Internet. That is a drag. Good that you have so many other sources and ways of studying Russian!

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version