Joined 5345 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 417 of 668
27 April 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I've been moving through the Simpsons at a pretty good rate. It is just
nice and "comfortable" to watch the episodes in the evening. Plus, I really identify with
Homer. He makes me chuckle.

Lately this has been the case with me as well. The only TV show I watch with any
consistency at the moment (in any language) is one episode of "Los Simpsons" each day. If
I could maintain a steady pattern like that with Korean music shows, I wouldn't still be
watching ones from mid-February...{sigh} But, The Simpsons (being a sitcom) is a lot shorter
(about 24 minutes without ads) which makes a big difference (Korean music shows range
from about 1 to 1.5 hrs without ads).
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 418 of 668
27 April 2014 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the Simpsons is so easy to watch. I notice that I move faster through the Simpsons than I do through other series... I did My Name is Earl which is a 30 minute sit com, but I still get through the Simpsons faster. I think it is because I don't mind watching two episodes in a row... or one in the evening and another in the morning.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 419 of 668
27 April 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I did some internet surfing for new resources. I think I'd eventually like to work El Chavo del Ocho into my evenings (probably when I finish the Simpsons series). If anyone knows of a good site to watch the full series I'd appreciate it. The best site I found has 80 episodes. That's plenty, but they are not organized in any particular way. Wikipedia says there are 298 episodes (with 30 being lost). I'd love to find a place where I can systematically work through the episodes in order. For some reason, I cannot find DVDs for sale anywhere either.
You could check out this site:
http://pluschespirito.blogspot.com/p/ver-los-capitulos-del-c havo-del-8-on_29.html
(Chespirito is the comic who wrote the show/played El Chavo)

You could also try just searching Youtube, there's probably several "listas de reproducción" (such as this one). You could pick a list and just work your way through. There are also torrents available, i just found one with 260 episodes, though i don't think the quality is very good.

EDIT: I also wanted to thank iguanamon for sharing the ¿Qué hora es? videos!

Edited by Crush on 27 April 2014 at 9:46pm

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 420 of 668
04 May 2014 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Great. Those lists are better than the one I was using. Eventually I'll work through the episodes.

Quick update because I am on the road today for work in NYC and need to catch a bus in a few minutes.

I've been maintaining my every day study of Spanish. Mostly just reading. I read from Man Economy and State. I am also watching the Simpsons every night.

I spoke a lot of Spanish yesterday and this morning here in NYC. Spanish is everywhere. I think my Spanish is probably better than I sometimes think it is. I had a great talk with my waitor this morning. He was basically shocked that I could speak Spanish so well. He asked me where I was in the sense that, at least initially, he thought I was a Spanish speaker... at first he said "but you look so much like like a gringo." It was a very fun conversation.

I also note that I am still uncomfortable when exactly to use usted. It just feels strange because I never use it. He was talking to me with usted and I tried to use it, but kept automatically slipping into tu. I really need to get the feel of that switch and when to use usted. I just don't have that "feel" for it like I do with the subjunctive and the two past tense forms. Hopefully it will just come to me as I keep progressing.

Onward and upward. I am off to enjoy the city before I have to do more work... and hopefully use some Spanish.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 421 of 668
04 May 2014 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
As to when to use usted vs tú, it really varies from country to country (and perhaps even from region to region). In Spain, people i had any sort of connection with at all (the parents of the students i taught, for example), always told me to tutear. At shops and restaurants it was a bit different, but even then i think it was more common for the attendants to use usted than for the customers to. I have a feeling it's a bit more complicated in Latin America, though i still tend to favor (and feel more comfortable using) tú. The only times i really use usted in the US is when placing my order at a Mexican restaurant. Who knows, maybe it will get me a little extra guacamole in my burrito? ;)

In Spain, i used it more with the (older) homeless folks that i hung out with than with anyone else, maybe more to show that "no lxs menospreciaba". For the most part, everyone told me to use tú. Like you, though, it feels much more awkward to me to use the formal forms.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 422 of 668
05 May 2014 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
I wish there was some sort of English equivalent. I have seen people suggest to use usted with someone you would say "mister" to or "sir" to, but that really does not seem to work well. It really just seems to be strange. All my skype partners use tu with me except one who just says it does not "feel" right to use tu with me. Who knows... one of the many misteries of Spanish I still have to figure out.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 423 of 668
05 May 2014 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
Don't know if this helps or would be agreed upon everywhere, but my husband (Nicaraguan-born but US citizen) says he would use Usted with customers and any adult strangers (until they offer tú) and to anyone to whom you want to show respect, such as a much older person not in your family (someone you would say don or doña to), or to an authority figure like a judge or police officer or someone like that. With anyone else, tú is usually ok (and as a non-native speaker you usually get more tolerance anyway).

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4475 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 424 of 668
05 May 2014 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
It varies quite a bit according to country. I have read that Colombians, for instances, use usted a bit differently, including parents with their children (!).

This discussion contains 668 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version