Message 33 of 52
16 January 2011 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
My choices for travel languages:
1. English,
2. English,
3. English,
4. English,
5. English.
Reason: because it is the only de facto official language of airports, railway stations, hotels, restaurants and tourist agencies.

1 person has voted this message useful

polyglHot
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4876 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 34 of 52
16 January 2011 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
So far no one has suggested travel WITHOUT English, I'd like to find out if it is
possible. Outside of the western world of course. One would however, have to speak
languages that many people speak as a second language. I don't know.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 35 of 52
16 January 2011 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
maxval wrote:
1. English,
2. English,
3. English,
4. English,
5. English.
Reason: because it is the only de facto official language of airports, railway stations, hotels, restaurants and tourist agencies.

I can think of one trip I've made that English really didn't help me - Morocco. I would have liked to have been able to speak French. I could sputter out a few words because of my Italian/Catalan/Spanish (in fact, Spanish did help in a couple situations), but French was the de facto tourist language there.

But talking beyond tourism, I was able to meet some really great people in both Spain and Italy because I spoke the languages. I wouldn't have done that just with English.

R.
==

3 persons have voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5082 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 36 of 52
17 January 2011 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
   I noticed alot of people have said Arabic. My pet peeve is whether you can really lump MSA and all of the dialects as one language. MSA is its own language afterall and all of the dialects are very different from MSA and eachother.

Edited by CaucusWolf on 17 January 2011 at 12:45am

Cheshire_Cat
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5129 days ago

17 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Russian
Studies: Dari, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Norwegian, Mandarin, Mongolian, Estonian

Message 37 of 52
17 January 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Quote:
1. English,
2. English,
3. English,
4. English,
5. English.

Not everywhere... If you travel to former Soviet Union/Central Asia it is definitely Russian... in other parts of the world it may be French or Spanish...

If my only intention would be to 1. travel the WHOLE world and 2. be understood almost everywhere, I'd choose...

1. Russian (Eastern Europe, Russia, Armenia, Azerbaidjan, Georgia, Central Asia, Mongolia)
2. French (France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Canada, Caribbean/Pacific Islands, northern and western parts of Africa and some people in Laos, Cambodia and Viet Nam also speak French)
3. Spanish (Spain, South and Central America except for Brazil)
4. English (Europe, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, North America, parts of Africa esp. southern Part, Austraila, New Zealand, many Asians speak English also)
5. Arabian (North Africa, Middle East and in non-arabian islamic countries at least some people speak Arabian because of Qur'an)

If I could choose a sixth or even a seventh language it would be first Swahili and then Mandarin, to better cover East Africa and/or East Asia... with all those seven you'd be understood nearly everywhere.
If money wouldn't matter I'd try to travel almost everywhere. I'd buy cars, sleep in a tent or rent a room, never stay anywhere for more than a few days and see as much as possible.

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5063 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Japanese, French, Russian

Message 38 of 52
17 January 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
English

French

Chinese

Arabic

Hindi

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5935 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 39 of 52
17 January 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
1.  English.

2. Loud, slow English.

3. Written English.

4. Simply add 'o' to every English word. "Where-o is-o bathroom-o."

5. Pointing with fingers. Become a mime.

I went through this recently. I hired a maid service to clean my father's house in Los Angeles, and these women did not understand any English at all.   I don't remember encountering monolingual Spanish speakers in northern California, but in Southern California, I guess this is more common. Didn't occur to me to try Japanese or Finnish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Desacrator48
Groupie
United States
Joined 5118 days ago

93 posts - 127 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 40 of 52
17 January 2011 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Maybe some clarification on the parameters for choosing the 5 languages to travel would help. Some are answering based on the 5 languages they would like to know based on where in the world they want to travel.

But I take this question to mean which 5 languages do we think might be the most useful to know that will help us get by if we travel the world.

In that case, I must not be the only one who is always curious to observe which language materials like museum guides and audio tours are offered in for tourists. You will always see English and Spanish and French, so those should be a starter for top 5 languages for traveling. There is usually an Asian language like Mandarin or Japanese. Also, touristy places like museums around the world already are knowledgeable about the nationalities of people who have the ability to travel, and what kind of languages they might speak as their native, or what they might know as a 2nd or 3rd.

With that being said, my 5 would be:

English
Spanish
French
Mandarin
Arabic

If this question was asked 20 years ago, Japanese would probably be substituted for Mandarin, but not in today's world.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version