Sweden
Joined 5016 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French

Message 9 of 15
15 January 2011 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
legoland wrote:
Just google around and you'll get everything for free, I mean the French audio and e-texts.
No idea about Swedish. I would like to know where I could find e-novels in Swedish.

Yes, finding the french version was quite easy... The swedish one I could not found.

For Swedish books (at least older ones) you can look at : www.runeberg.org
This is like www.gutenberg.org but for swedish books.
1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6155 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 11 of 15
15 January 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
@juman: I like your approach to learning languages! :) Tthat you try to do fun stuff and learn from literature.

Have you tried listening to fun podcasts in French when you do other things? I have found that I can have loads of fun listening to people who are chatting around, making jokes and laughing, even though I don't understand a single word. The language really can come to life in a new way.

I wish you the best of luck with your language project! :)

@legoland: I made a quick search and was quite surprised when I found that the libraries of Sweden actually provide e-books and streaming audiobooks online for free.

Elib - Borrow books from home

You need a library card though. I think you need to be a citizen of a Nordic country, UK or Hungary to be able to get it.

Other links: Läs en bok (Read a book), E-böcker (E-books).

Edited by M. Medialis on 15 January 2011 at 4:22pm

microsnout
TAC 2010 Winner
Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5269 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 15
15 January 2011 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
I hope that your goal is to learn to read French rather than speak it because I think this will be very inefficient for
learning to speak. I used to read books but the more I learned the more differences I discovered between literature
and spoken language. I knew there was the literary verb tense "passé simple" which is not useful in conversation
(generally) but in addition there are grammatical forms and a LOT of vocabulary that just don't come up in common
daily speech. When I listen to TV or a movie, it is now rare to encounter an unknown word but in literature it is still
common, perhaps on almost every page (depending on the book). Now, 4 years into studying French, I have
stopped reading books (I still read newspapers and online material) to concentrate on conversational fluency,

You might try instead, a bande dessinée book (like Tintin) where all the text is a spoken dialog and not colourful
literary prose.   

Edited by microsnout on 19 January 2011 at 5:59am

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5202 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 14 of 15
15 January 2011 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
microsnout wrote:

You might try instead, a bande dessinée book (like Tintin) where all the text is a spoken dialog and not colourful
literary prose.   

I agree !! Since Tintin has been translated in so many languages - including swedish -, tu devrais essayer d'en trouver un et de le lire en même temps que la version suédoise...
(you should try to find one of them and try to read it as long as the swedish version)

Try to write in French !!! I have read so many logs so far about people claiming they are learning language X or Y, but the log is still written.. in English !! Where's the point???

Bon courage !!!

juman
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5016 days ago

101 posts - 129 votes 

Message 15 of 15
15 January 2011 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
polyglossia wrote:
microsnout wrote:

literary prose.   

I agree !! Since Tintin has been translated in so many languages - including swedish -, tu devrais essayer d'en
trouver un et de le lire en même temps que la version suédoise...
(you should try to find one of them and try to read it as long as the swedish version)

Try to write in French !!! I have read so many logs so far about people claiming they are learning language X or Y,
but the log is still written.. in English !! Where's the point???

Bon courage !!!

Yes, I thought about that as well and have one called XIII. But as I do not have the audio of it it would only
strengthen my reading ability. Regarding writing in French it is to early as I only know so many words, but when I
know one that fits I will use it :-)

Merci!

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version