Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 33 of 36
21 January 2011 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
I'll try not to repeat what already has been said. I do think that total immersion in the country of the target language (and preferably at a young age) will produce results. I don't qualify the kind of results because I still think there are other variables that enter into the picture. But there is not doubt that being forced to function in the language and being constantly surrounded by the written and spoken language is conducive to learning. On the other hand, watching TV, movies and posters of the target language on the bedroom wall hardly qualifies as immersion. I'm not sure what to call it, but it does not remotely resemble an in-country immersion experience. As nearly everybody has said, this will not work for beginners, in any language, and even less in one with a difficult writing system.

I'm surprised the OP lasted six months. I would have given up after a week. I think learning should be immediate, meaning that one should feel some sort of progress, as small and incremental as it may be.

I personally recommend that people take a class in a new language. I know most people here don't believe in the value of formal classes. That's fine if you know how to go about learning a language from scratch. And I know that being in a class of 30 people with a nasty teacher is no fun, but a good teacher and the right materials can put you in the right direction. The problem is finding the good class.

If classes are not available or you have more time than money, there is a ton of material for free in the Internet and all the valuable advice right here.

Edited by s_allard on 21 January 2011 at 12:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 34 of 36
21 January 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

I personally recommend that people take a class in a new language. I know most people here don't believe in the value of formal classes.

I also have bad experience with formal classes even the small ones.

One-to-one teachers is the best option, but it's better if you are intermediate or advanced. Teachers are another tool, but only a tool.

People tend to pass their responsibility to others. This is dangerous.

The sooner people realize that learning a language is a personal endeavor, the better.

4 persons have voted this message useful

ecgreen
United States
Joined 5984 days ago

15 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Korean

Message 35 of 36
22 January 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
I always wanted to write a book, that explains the real deal concerning Korean language
learning: "How to Achieve a Mediocre Fluency in Korean in Just 10 Short Years."

First of all, you need to study while you are immersing yourself. Secondly, and I speak
from experience, it takes A LONG TIME to be able to understand Korean for most
Americans! I spent years not understanding a word that came out of anyone's mouth. My
advice after years of messing with Korean:

- read, read some more and when you are tired of that, keep reading
- break down audio and listen to smaller chunks. memorize it and try to repeat it. try
shadowing
- go to KBS and look at the 대본 for dramas and news stories. Break it down and listen
to the audio while reading the transcripts. Do this everyday, for a few years.
- study vocab like crazy
- realize that understanding older people and people from the country, or Pusan, is
whole another can o' worms! Stick to 표준어 for now and skip the dialects
- And, as Frank Zappa said, the two keys to success: 1. Never quit, and 2.) Don't stop

3 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 36 of 36
22 January 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
ecgreen wrote:
And, as Frank Zappa said, the two keys to success: 1. Never quit, and 2.) Don't stop

Keep doing: input plus output.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version