raeyu
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4871 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 7
17 January 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying Korean on my own for about 5 months now, but feel I haven't done as much as maybe I should.
I can read 한굴 and my vocabulary is probably around 300 words.
My goals for 2011 are to log around 500 hours of study, and reach intermediate in my fluency.
I will be travelling to Korea for the second time in May of this year, and staying there for 3 months, so I hope to learn a lot more while I am there, and test myself on how much I have learned since the last time I was in Korea.
I have a series of textbooks from Seoul National University, and I've worked through the first one. I also have quite a few friends I attempt to converse with in Korean on a regular basis, and they also help me with my pronunciation and questions I have regarding grammar or vocabulary.
1 person has voted this message useful

raeyu
Joined 4871 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 2 of 7
17 January 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
spent 2 hours this morning before classes at school studying. added 13 words to my anki deck, and wrote some practice sentences.
as always, constant passive listening to korean music and dramas. most people still speak too fast for me to understand, but when the sentences are short, or they speak slowly i can generally understand the concept.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5346 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 3 of 7
17 January 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
One of these days I'd love to visit South Korea as well, but I have no immediate plans to do so.

Just a quick correction: The spelling is actually 한글 (with a ㅡ vowel in the second syllable block, not ㅜ).

Best of luck with your language learning. 화이팅!

raeyu
Joined 4871 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 4 of 7
19 January 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
ah thanks >_<
anyways, yesterday felt rather unproductive, i was mostly busy with school work, but i did 2 chapters worth of exercises from a textbook i got from seoul national university.
also started watching a new k drama.. i'm addicted to them, i swear.
started working my way through the korean printing of death note. about 25 pages in so far... it's slow going, but i'm improving my reading a lot.

raeyu
Joined 4871 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 5 of 7
22 January 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
finished Korean 1 in Rosetta Stone today.

raeyu
Joined 4871 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 6 of 7
24 January 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
I've found that I really only use Rosetta stone to help get the vocabulary to stick after self study. It's very difficult for me to learn new grammar through Rosetta Stone, but I like the constant repetition to help me remember the vocabulary.
I need to figure out how to add audio properly to my anki deck.. it never seems to work properly. >___<

raeyu
Joined 4871 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 7 of 7
31 January 2011 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Went out with a few of my Korean friends this weekend, and met someone who speaks very very little English, and I was able to understand him and communicate in Korean, I still find it hard to get over being shy about my accent, but it makes me feel much better knowing that I'm reaching a point where I don't need to rely on speaking English to communicate.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version