Bilingual
Netherlands
Joined 5651 days ago

131 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Slovak*, Ukrainian, Irish, German, Russian

Message 1 of 10
18 January 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
What are the best book resources for learning Dutch? I've know that there's a Colloquial Dutch available, but I don't
know if it's any good. What's available for Dutch and what's the best? (in your opinion).

Cheers!
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5365 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 10
18 January 2011 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
I like the Michel Thomas Method Foundation and Advanced courses, Assimil's Dutch with Ease, the 1950s and 1990s Linguaphone offerings and a course by Prisma called Dutch for Self Study.   

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5493 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 3 of 10
19 January 2011 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
The Colloquial book is actually quite good, in my opinion. I'm going through it right now as my primary textbook. It's by Bruce Donaldson, who's apparently a pretty big name in Dutch study. If you can get the audio too, it includes quite a few dialogues at natural speeds, which is very good for getting used to how the language is actually spoken.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5666 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 4 of 10
19 January 2011 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
I also like Colloquial Dutch. Note that there are two such books. The first by Donaldson alone and Colloquial Dutch 2 by Bodegom, Gerda and Donaldson.The two books complement each other.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5360 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 5 of 10
19 January 2011 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm only a beginner, but the Michel Thomas Foundation was excellent fun and really seems to have impregnated some basic phrases in my memory. The advanced course somehow didn't have quite the same magic, but it probably makes sense to do them both. It's not really advanced, more like volume 2. There are some basic essentials like the perfect tense and differences between de and het words in it.

Enjoying Assimil now, but too early to comment on the outcome.

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5071 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 6 of 10
20 January 2011 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
The Teach Yourself Dutch also is very good!

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6921 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 7 of 10
21 January 2011 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
I like 'Colloquial Dutch' too. The dialogues are fast right from the beginning, so they sound authentic. I'd already got myself attuned to the sounds of Dutch when I approched 'Colloquial' so I can't judge how easy or difficult the speed of Colloquial is if starting from scratch. I also downloaded 'Teach Yourself Dutch Conversation' from Audible, which is how I got used to hearing Dutch at first. Hugo's 'Dutch In Three Months' is another course I have used, and like.

Linguaphone did 2 Dutch courses to my knowledge - the older type with the chiseled faces from the 1950s and a more modern version that is all dialogues. I have the older one and it's fine.

There is also an expensive offering from Gerdi Quist called 'Routledge Intensive Dutch' but the audio needs to be bought separately, and it's very expensive.

My recommendation is to get the 'Teach Yourself Dutch' course and 'Colloquial Dutch.' Start with TY and then add Colloquial when you feel comfortable with TY.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ChristianVlcek
Bilingual
Netherlands
Joined 5651 days ago

131 posts - 141 votes 
Studies: Slovak*, Ukrainian, Irish, German, Russian

Message 8 of 10
21 January 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Cheers everyone! I picked up Colloquial Dutch and the Assimil course the other day, so I'll start with those I think
and see where they take me.
Teach Yourself and Dutch for Self Study also look quite good, so perhaps I'll add them at some point in the future if
need be.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version