Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4934 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 9 of 17
27 January 2011 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
I´m not liking to ask this, but Is he sane?
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4918 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 10 of 17
27 January 2011 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
I say we put Mr. Riethmiller, Mr. Fazah, Mr. Cox and Mr. Monteleone in a ring and let them duke it out.

Or how about we just ignore them and get on with our own lives?

What is it with this need to be recognized as the greatest polyglot by all these people?

It's pathological.

R.
==
4 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5857 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 11 of 17
28 January 2011 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
translator2 wrote:
I say we put Mr. Riethmiller, Mr. Fazah, Mr. Cox and Mr. Monteleone in a ring and let them duke it out.

Or how about we just ignore them and get on with our own lives?

What is it with this need to be recognized as the greatest polyglot by all these people?

It's pathological.

R.
==

I think you missed the point hrhenry
2 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5857 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 

Message 12 of 17
28 January 2011 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
Gorgoll2 wrote:
I´m not liking to ask this, but Is he sane?

you mean the hippie style and beat poetry? :P

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4918 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 13 of 17
28 January 2011 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:

Most definitely. I don't see one at all.

It's pointless to figure out what he (or any other self-proclaimed polyglot) is doing to speak that many languages. Aside from gaining himself some publicity, no one else actually gains anything.

R.
==

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5857 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 

Message 14 of 17
28 January 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
tmp011007 wrote:

Most definitely. I don't see one at all.

It's pointless to figure out what he (or any other self-proclaimed polyglot) is doing to speak that many languages. Aside from gaining himself some publicity, no one else actually gains anything.

R.
==

ok, my bad. let me try to explain my point of view about it

the tittle "lee riethmiller 113 languages (?)" was intentionally provocative. I got that number from his "offering courses list" but a member of this forum actually quoted the right webpage in x-other forum:

@jeff_lindqvist wrote:

How about some other quotes from the actual home page:

"Lee K. Riethmiller, honed his fluency in the twenty-six languages he currently speaks" - OK, still a lot of languages, but not the same as 70/113/130.

"By 1976, he was teaching 150 students a week in seven languages - Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, German, Greek, and Arabic." - Not a rare collection of languages for somebody who knows more than half a dozen.

"We currently offer 114 languages including Accent Reduction for American English speakers." - 'We' probably refers to several tutors using the method developed by Riethmiller. I don't see where it says that _he_ is the one teaching them all.

then, so far MegatronFilm's (70 languages) and actual Riethmiller's language program webpage (26 languages) versions are quite different... even worse, there's another version

http://somerville.patch.com/articles/polyglot-professor wrote:

I'm passing past the 45 mark now...

well, this self-proclaimed polyglot "says" 26 and 45 not 70 or 113 (again, my bad :P)

it is pointless if he's not as good as he says or if he's good enough but we (at least I) don't get anything new/convenient/practicable of his approaches

I confess my sin, I fell in love with this
Quote:

Riethmiller believes affinity for languages has to be built and even goes as far to say that the hardest thing you can do to learn a language is to only focus on one: "The moment that you have at least two, one can go interactive with the other one, it gets easier and then you add three and the fizz that you get, gets even more. People experience that it's not only easier, but it's almost an enzyme,"

and this
Quote:

He believes that you learn languages faster and with better recall if you study multiple languages concurrently. He never really said why, but my oversimplified explanation is that this is similar to the better recall/comprehension claims of speed reading. There are other reasons why this makes sense from a mnemonics perspective, and it has the added benefit of being very appealing from a student perspective (learn more in less time).

I'm not interested in "hero cults" at all. this post was/is just a simple and poor way to try to contact someone reliable who maybe would be able to tell us (me) if Mr. Riethmiller has or has not good language skills, and maybe, if I'm lucky enough, be able to get some more details about his approaches... that's all

it seems to be his method lies on mnemonics and mental association, and in my opinion (not very humble, I can tell lol) there are a lot to explore about specific techniques on those fields related to language learning

p.d. I'd try to contact Mr Riethmiller myself but my English language/social skills are quite poor so far (besides some people here could do an excellent job "rating" (?) his language skills. I could barely rate his Spanish -I know rate is not the right word but...)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4934 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 15 of 17
29 January 2011 at 2:52am | IP Logged 

you mean the hippie style and beat poetry? :P

Every his aspects are quite crazy.