Triglot
France
Joined 5201 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 1 of 38
01 February 2011 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Edit. From 02 March on, this is also my Turkish log, see page 2 for the first Turkish-related posts.

As I do not manage to stick to my Coptic studies, I hope this log will somehow compel me to do some regular work and to do that in a more rigorous way that I usually do.

I've already studied Coptic for some time so this log will mostly consist of translations (and grammatical comments). Later, I hope I will be able to compose texts in Coptic.

edit. I have trouble finding a coptic font supported by the forum. The only one I found is the ifao N Copte (downloadable here) font and even that one is not fully supported. The supralinear strokes make small squares of the letters. So I will type the text without these strokes, the text is still readable but not as beautiful as it could be.

Edited by akkadboy on 04 March 2012 at 7:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6087 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 2 of 38
01 February 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
You are the first person I've heard of studying Coptic. I hope you can find a font that works here. Looking forward to
following your progress. Good luck.
1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5201 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 

Message 3 of 38
01 February 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your support.
Clearly Coptic is not as popular as it should be :)

Today I translated the beginning of « The Life of Joseph the carpenter » , an apocryphal work dealing with the life of Jesus’ father. The version of the text in the Sahidic dialect is not wholly preserved (unlike the Bohairic one), thus the text begins at page V. The narrator is Jesus himself.
I provide a (rather literal) English translation because although I read a lot in English, I speak and write it very rarely. This way, I get to practice both Coptic and English. Feel free to point any mistake.

V.
1. ϩⲣⲁⲓⲇⲉ ⲧⲙⲉϩⲙⲛⲧⲁϥⲧⲉ ⲛⲣⲟⲙⲡⲉ ⲙⲡⲱⲛϩ ⲙⲙⲁⲣⲓⲁ ⲧⲁⲙⲁⲁⲩ ⲁⲓⲉⲓ ϩⲙⲡⲁⲟⲩⲱϣ, ⲁⲓⲟⲩⲱϩ ⲛϩⲏⲧⲥ ⲕⲁⲧⲁⲡⲉⲧⲉϩⲛⲁⲓ, ⲉⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲉⲧⲛⲱⲛⲁϩ. 2. ⲁⲩⲱ ⲛⲧⲉⲣⲉⲥⲣϣⲟⲙⲛⲧ ⲛⲉⲃⲟⲧ ⲛⲱ, ⲁⲡⲁⲧⲕⲣⲟϥ ⲓⲱⲥⲏⲫ ⲡⲁⲙⲉⲣⲓⲧ ⲛⲓⲱⲧ ⲉⲓ ⲉϩⲟⲩⲛ ϩⲱⲱϥ ϩⲛⲛⲉⲙⲁ ⲛⲕⲱⲧ, ⲁϥϭⲉⲛⲧⲁⲙⲁⲁⲩ ⲛⲧⲁⲥⲟⲩⲱⲛϩ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ϫⲉⲥⲉⲉⲧ. ⲁϥⲉⲣϩⲟⲧⲉ ⲁⲩⲱ ⲁϥϣⲧⲟⲣⲧⲣ. ⲁϥⲟⲩⲱϣ ⲉⲛⲁϫⲉⲥ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ⲛϫⲓⲟⲩⲉ. 3. ⲁⲩⲱ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ϩⲉⲛⲧⲗⲩⲡⲏ, ⲁϥⲛⲕⲟⲧⲕ, ⲙⲡⲉϥⲟⲩⲉⲙⲗⲁⲁⲩ ⲉⲡⲧⲏⲣϥ ϩⲛⲧⲉⲣⲟⲩϩⲉ ⲉⲧⲙⲙⲟⲟⲩ.

1. When my mother Mary was fourteen, I went according to my desire and set myself into her as I wanted to, being your life. 2. And when she’d been pregnant for three months, the guileless Joseph, my beloved father, came back from the workshops and found out it was visible that my mother was pregnant. He became afraid and troubled, and wanted to secretly reject her. 3. And because of his grief, he lied down, he could not eat anything at all that evening.

VI.
1. ϩⲛⲧⲡⲁϣⲉⲇⲉ ⲛⲧⲉⲩϣⲉ ⲉⲓⲥ ⲡⲁⲣⲭⲁⲅⲅⲉⲗⲟⲥ ⲅⲁⲃⲣⲓⲏⲗ ⲁϥⲃⲱⲕ ϣⲁⲣⲟϥ ϩⲛ ⲟⲩⲣⲁⲥⲟⲩ ϩⲓⲧⲛ ⲧⲉⲝⲟⲩⲥⲓⲁ ⲙⲡⲁⲓⲱⲧ ⲛⲁⲅⲁⲑⲟⲥ. ⲡⲉϫⲁϥ ⲛⲁϥ ϫⲉ ⲓⲱⲥⲏⲫ ⲡϣⲏⲣⲉ ⲛ ⲇⲁⲩⲉⲓⲇ ⲙⲡⲣⲣϩⲟⲧⲉ. ϫⲓ ⲙⲙⲁⲣⲓⲁ ⲧⲉⲕⲥϩⲓⲙⲉ. ⲡⲉⲧⲉⲥⲛⲁϫⲡⲟϥⲅⲁⲣ ⲟⲩⲁⲁⲃ. 2. ⲁⲩⲱ ⲉⲕⲉⲙⲟⲩⲧⲉ ⲉⲡⲉϥⲣⲁⲛ ϫⲉⲓⲥ. ⲛⲧⲟϥ ⲡⲉⲧⲛⲁⲙⲟⲟⲛⲉ ⲙⲡⲉϥⲗⲁⲟⲥ ϩⲛⲟⲩϭⲉⲣⲱⲃ ⲙⲡⲉⲛⲓⲡⲉ. 3. ⲁϥⲧⲱⲟⲩⲛⲇⲉ ⲛϭⲓⲓⲱⲥⲏⲫ ⲉⲃⲟⲗ ϩⲙⲡϩⲓⲛⲏⲃ ⲁϥⲉⲓⲣⲉ ⲕⲁⲧⲁⲑⲉ ⲛⲧⲁϥϩⲱⲛ ⲉⲧⲟⲟⲧϥ ⲛϭⲓ ⲡⲁⲅⲅⲉⲗⲟⲥ ⲙⲡϫⲟⲉⲓⲥ. ⲁϥϩⲁⲣⲉϩ ⲉⲧⲡⲁⲣⲑⲉⲛⲟⲥ ⲉⲧⲟⲩⲁⲁⲃ ⲉϩⲟⲩⲛ ⲉⲡⲉϥⲏⲓ.

VI.
1. In the middle of the night, the archangel Gabriel, sent by my good Father, came to him in a dream. He said to him, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear. Take Mary as your wife, the one she will give birth to is holy. 2. You will call him Jesus. He will sheperd his people with an iron staff". 3. Joseph woke up and did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him. He kept the holy virgin in his house.

Not too hard a beginning, moreover the thext is close to the Gospel.

edit. translation corrected

Edited by akkadboy on 01 February 2011 at 8:40pm

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5915 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 4 of 38
01 February 2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Wow, Coptic, that is interesting. I also hope you find a font that works as I am interested in following your log a bit.

Edited by JW on 01 February 2011 at 5:35pm

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5201 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 

Message 5 of 38
02 February 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Thanks JW !

An extract of the monastic rule of saint Pachomius :

ⲛⲛⲉⲗⲁⲁⲩ ⲃⲱⲕ ⲉϩⲟⲩⲛ ⲉⲧⲣⲓ ⲙⲡⲉⲧϩⲓⲧⲟⲩⲱϥ ⲉⲓⲙⲏⲧⲓ ⲛϥⲕⲱⲗϩ ⲛϣⲟⲣⲡ.
ⲚⲚⲈⲖⲀⲀⲨ ⲂⲰⲔ ⲈϨⲞⲨⲚ ⲈⲦⲢⲒ ⲘⲠⲈⲦϨⲒⲦⲞⲨⲰϤ ⲈⲒⲘHⲦⲒ ⲚϤⲔⲰⲖϨ ⲚϢⲞⲢⲠ.

Nobody should enter the cell of his neighbour if he hasn't knocked at the door.

This is short but acted as a reminder of the negated Third Future. So here's my new mantra for tomorrow :
ⲛⲛⲁⲥⲱⲧⲙ
ⲛⲛⲉⲕⲥⲱⲧⲙ
ⲛⲛⲉⲥⲱⲧⲙ
ⲛⲛⲉϥⲥⲱⲧⲙ
ⲛⲛⲉⲥⲥⲱⲧⲙ
ⲛⲛⲉⲛⲥⲱⲧⲙ
ⲛⲛⲉⲧⲛⲥⲱⲧⲙ
ⲛⲛⲉⲩⲥⲱⲧⲙ
ⲛⲛⲉⲡⲣⲱⲙⲉ ⲥⲱⲧⲙ

edit. font test

Edited by akkadboy on 02 February 2011 at 10:51pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5935 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 38
02 February 2011 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
This is so cool! Coptic is essentially a (comparatively) modern form of the Ancient Egyptian language, right? I really like the alphabet; it looks a lot like the Greek alphabet, except fancier. Why did you decide to learn Coptic? How long have you been at it?

Edited by ellasevia on 02 February 2011 at 10:23pm

CS
Groupie
United States
Joined 4921 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Latin, French

Message 7 of 38
02 February 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
What resources have you used in your study of Coptic?

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5201 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 

Message 8 of 38
02 February 2011 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Ellasevia:
Yes, you're right. Coptic is the last stage of Ancient Egyptian. It came in usage around the 2nd century CE and died ca. 1600 as a spoken language (though it is still used by the Coptic Church as a liturgical language). The last known literary work composed in Coptic dates back to 1322 if I'm not mistaken.

If you like the alphabet, you should check some manuscripts or at least printed texts. They are much more beautiful than the font I'm forced to use. And you were also right about the alphabet, it's the Greek one (only capitals, no lower case in Coptic) with the addition of some letters to render some egyptian sounds :
Ϣ sh
Ϥ f
Ϩ h
Ϫ dj
Ϭ ky
Ϯ ti
(plus two other letters not used in the Sahidic dialect).

I became interested in Coptic because I am doing a MA in Egyptology. There was no Coptic course in the college where I began my studies so I learned on my own. But last year I moved and my new college offers Coptic as a part of the Egyptology program, so this acted like a boost to my Coptic studies.

Edited by akkadboy on 02 February 2011 at 11:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version