1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 38
02 March 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
akkadboy wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
Welcome as my new teammmate in the team yumusak "G"! I will try to keep an eye on your log. I have now studied Turkish for almost three years and even if I took the descision to change target languages I will remain interested in people sudying and posting about Turkish. :)

Fasulye

Thanks Fasulye !
I read parts of your log and it has been a truly inspiring reading !

Interesting to hear your kind feedback! In plenty of the posts in my TAC log you will find explanations and examples of Turkish grammar. I am at your and my other new teammate's disposal to answer any beginner's questions.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 March 2011 at 8:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5215 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 18 of 38
03 March 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
No new TY lesson today, I wanted the grammar and the vocab of the past 4 lessons to sink in a bit before moving on. Therefore, I went again over some grammar rules and redid the exercises.

I finished entering all the words presented in lessons 1 to 4 into Anki. That was really dull, I wish I'll never have to enter so much words at one time. Afterwards, I did some 15 minutes of drilling and it turned out I have a pretty good command of these words (apart from the verbs of lesson 3).

Last Tuesday, I bought my first Hürriyet. I thought it was a rather austere newspaper but found out it has a lot of huge photos, not so much text, half-naked girls here and there (along with praying Muslims), flashy colors and titles. So it is more like The Sun :) Of course I can barely understand a complete sentence but I wanted something to read during my two hours commute.
Today I translated my horoscope (wanted something short to begin with) :
Aslan
Lion (related to Manchu "arsalan" ?)

Bugünlerde bazı konularda karar vermekte zorluk çekiyorsunuz.
These days, you have trouble to decide on some subjects.

Biraz zamana ihtiyacınız var.
You need some time.

Üzerinizde baskı kuran kişilere aldırmayin.
Do not give importance to matters which stress you out (üzerinizde=upon you ?).

I wonder if there's any difference between vakit and zaman.

Edited by akkadboy on 03 March 2011 at 7:50pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5654 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 38
04 March 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
I would say that "vakit" is the traditional word for "time" and "zaman" is the modern word. In my Turkish textbooks I have always read "zaman" and almost never "vakit".

"Hürriyet" is the Turkish newspaper which is most sold in Germany. There are 3-4 other Turkish newspapers as well which are on sale in Germany. The political background of "Hürriyet" is conservative. It reminids me a bit of the German tabloid "Bildzeitung". But such a tabloid is of course useful for a beginner of Turkish because you can try to understand some headlines.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 04 March 2011 at 1:47pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5654 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 38
04 March 2011 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Explanation of the word "üzerinizde"

üzeri = the surface, the clothing
üderiniz = your surface, your clothing
de / da = locative case

> on your clothing, on your surface

Fasulye

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5215 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 

Message 21 of 38
04 March 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the explanation, Fasulye !

Today I did lesson 5 of TY. Not so hard but I had to create some beautiful chart in order not to mix up the future, past-future, present, past-present tenses and their negative forms, things are a lot clearer now. It reminds me of Latin conjugations, extremely logical (a bit like a construction game) but looking all alike so you must be careful to each letter and it takes time to get used to it.

I am still struggling with the seventy or so verbs of lesson 3 but no doubt they will eventually sink in.

I gave a look at my brand new Harry Potter ve melez Prens (the only one my local bookstore sold) but apart from some very basic sentences, it is still out of my reach. Can't wait to be able to read large chunks of any text ! I remember that happening with my other languages, it is such a great moment !

I also listened to some Turkish radios and hardly catched a word.

edit. Lewis has "gitmiyeceğim" for "I shall not go" but other sources have "gitmeyeceğim" and indicate it can "often" be pronounced "gitmiyeceğim". I googled the two words and "gitmeyeceğim" seems to be more frequent...However I think I will follow Lewis and use "gitmiyeceğim" at least while I'm learning from his TY.

Edited by akkadboy on 04 March 2011 at 9:29pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5949 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 22 of 38
05 March 2011 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
I would say that "vakit" is the traditional word for "time" and "zaman" is the modern word. In my Turkish textbooks I have always read "zaman" and almost never "vakit".

Actually, I believe the difference is that "vakit" comes from the Arabic word وقت (waqt), meaning time. It also has descendants in the Persian وقت (vaqt) and Swahili "wakati", both meaning the same thing. If I remember correctly, Atatürk tried to get rid of many of the Arabic and Persian loanwords to make the language more purely Turkish, so it would make sense for that word to be less frequent.

EDIT: Oops. I've just checked the etymology of "zaman," and it appears that it also comes from an Arabic word, so my theory is probably completely wrong.

Edited by ellasevia on 05 March 2011 at 1:44am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5654 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 38
05 March 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
akkadboy wrote:
Lewis has "gitmiyeceğim" for "I shall not go" but other sources have "gitmeyeceğim" and indicate it can "often" be pronounced "gitmiyeceğim". I googled the two words and "gitmeyeceğim" seems to be more frequent...However I think I will follow Lewis and use "gitmiyeceğim" at least while I'm learning from his TY.

The correct form for the negative Future Tense is "gitmeyecegim" in writing and "gitmiyecegim" is the way how it is pronounced.

Also for the positive Future Tense there is a difference in writing and pronouncing.
The written form is "gidecegim" and it is pronounced "gidecem".

*Of course there should be accents on my yumusak "g".

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 05 March 2011 at 7:06am

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5215 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 

Message 24 of 38
06 March 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
ellasevia : actually, I believed too it was some kind of Arabic/Turkish doublet. Seems the two uf us we're mistaken :)

Fasulye : thank you, Lewis is really short on pronounciation tips, rather aiming at written material. However, that suits me well as I can't stand the "Hi, my name is...where is the bank ?"-type textbooks :)

Yesterday and this morning was lesson 6 time ! It presents a lot of new items, none of them really hard (though the distributive drove me crazy for some time) but still a lot of new things to master. Maybe I'll wait tomorrow to tackle lesson 7...

I have trouble to fully understand the construction of two sentences :

Türk ordusu 30 ağustos 1922de dünyanın en büyük meydan muharebelerinden birini kazandi.
1922, the 30th of August, the Turkish army won one of the world's greatest pitched battles.

Ok, I can understand it but what does the -ini in birini stand for ? The first -i is, I presume, the possessive suffixe, "from the world's greates battles its-one", it makes sense, but why should "biri" have a definite object case ending ? To my mind "one of the battles" can't be definite...

Yataklı vagonda yolculuk şüphesiz çok rahat bir şey.
Travelling in a sleeping car is without doubt a very confortable thing.

I wondered if "pek rahat bir şey" would have been correct.

Edited by akkadboy on 06 March 2011 at 11:01am

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version