Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 28
03 February 2011 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
Dear Kate,

Since I assume that at the age of 14, your research does not have to be at a university level, I will answer your questions, and hope there are more who will join in.

1. How many languages do you know?
I can speak 6, read 2 more and am learning the 9th.

2. Where (what country) did you study?
Norway, France, Spain

3. How much time is spent studying each language?
Norwegian: 47 1/2 years (mother tongue)
English: 8 years at school, 3.5 years at the University
Spanish: 3 years of full immersion in Spain, 4.5 at the university
French: I year full immersion in France, 1 year at the university
Italian: A couple of months of self study, 5 weeks in Italy
German: Two years at school, 3 weeks in Germany
Swedish: Language really close to Norwegian, and I have read a lot of books, sang a lot of Swedish songs, listened to many hours of TV - difficult to say exactly how much time spent. Can speak it but sound funny and with a lot of Norwegian words mixed in.
Danish: Language really close to Norwegian, read quite a lot of litereature in it, difficult to say how much time is spent. More than 95% understanding, but cannot speak it.

Russian: 10 months of self study, 2 weeks in the Ukraine.

4. At what level do you know foreign language? (starter, elementary, intermediate, pre-intermediate ect.)
Norwegian: Native, English and Spanish: Very advanced, French: Advanced, German Intermediate, Italian, Intermediate, Danish and Swedish: Very advanced passive skills, starter/elementary active skills, Russian: Elementary

5. What methods did you use to learn languages?
Shool, university studies, immersion, self study

6. How old are you?

7. Where are you using your languages? (work, books, internet, communication ect.)
I use English at work every day and on this forum every evening, the others more on and off for reading, watching films, communicating.

Good luck with your research!!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6657 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 10 of 28
03 February 2011 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
I agree it's not very scientific, but it sounds like an interesting assignment.

I think this is a tricky question because "knowing" can mean be fluent in, or have a good grasp of the structure but not actively fluent, or just reading knowledge of, or just speaking knowledge but no grasp of the writing system, etc.

But to keep it simple I'll assume you mean "fluent" (another dangerous term): 3 - English, Spanish, German.

America, Germany, Mexico. Also spent time in Peru but already knew Spanish there.

English is my native language. German I studied on my own for a few hours for a year, and then a couple of hours a week for two years in college, and finally I spent about 9 months in Germany studying. I learned Spanish in a year while living in Mexico. I had a year of high school Spanish but learned just very basic stuff. In Mexico I taught myself grammar but most of what I learned I just picked up by listening to my friends and host families talk.

I also have some basic knowledge of French, Esperanto, and Norwegian, but I've studied all of them on and off for years, with no set schedule over the years. For all of them I probably started off doing at least an hour a day for a few months to get a foundation in.

4. At what level do you know foreign language? (starter, elementary, intermediate, pre-intermediate ect.)

English (Native)
German (mid-advanced fluency)
Spanish (advanced fluency)
French (basic-intermediate knowledge)
Esperanto (intermediate knowledge)
Norwegian (basic knowledge)

For German and Spanish: in-country immersion
For German: college courses
For Spanish and French: high school courses
For ALL of the languages: grammar books, self-study books, reading, movies, radio, internet chatting and finding other speakers.

6. How old are you?

7. Where are you using your languages? (work, books, internet, communication ect.)

I use all of them for reading for fun.
Spanish I've used in work.
The rest I just use (so far) for occasionally speaking with people I meet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 28
03 February 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged 

(actively:)
a) native language: Danish
b) so advanced that I sometimes forget which language I'm thinking in: English
c) just below that: German, French
d) sufficiently fluent to be used exclusively during travels: Portuguese, Castilian (Spanish), Catalan, Italian + (less readily) Romanian, Dutch. Swedish and (to some exent) Norwegian also belong here, but with the difference that I can understand them at a much more advanced level
e) just well enough to do simple conversations during travels (whether or not this has actually happened), but I understand them reasonably well and can write in them with the help of a dictionary: Latin, Modern Greek,Russian, Afrikaans, Esperanto, Bahasa Indonesian (mixed with Bahasa Malaysian), Scots, Low German, Icelandic
Besides I can to some extent read and sometimes understand a number of languages that are close to those already mentioned - including old forms like Old Norse, Old French and Old Occitan. Unusable theoretical knowledge about Irish (Gaelic) and Tagalog

Mostly at home, but also during travels. No stays for study purposes abroad.

Arrgh - I have no idea. Sometimes I watch TV in one language and make wordlists in another. How do you count hours in such a case?

see question 1

I had Danish, English, German and Latin in school, I studied French at the university and followed also regular courses there in Italian, Romanian, Catalan and Icelandic plus courses that involved some Spanish and other languages. The rest is self study - actually everything after 1982 is purely selfstudy, including reviving those languages I just mentioned
I have described my methods in detail in a five-part guide on this forum and in a number of videos on Youtube (as "NJLIversen"). But I would single out wordlists, the use of bilingual texts and thinking/writing in 'my' languages as the most important elements -at least until I can read and listen extensively and for fun.

6. How old are you?

Speaking: Danish: daily, English: often, even at home. The rest: almot never at home, but sometimes during travel
Writing, thinking: regularly - and this includes writing stuff (or making videos) on this forum
Reading, watching TV (incl. internet TV): regularly, in the case of English probably more than even Danish

Edited by Iversen on 03 February 2011 at 10:28am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5636 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 28
03 February 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
It's interesting to read the answers people are giving to your questions, Kate. This motivates me to participate as well.

7 languages which I can speak and write plus 3 languages on a beginner and lower intermediate level.

All in my native country Germany except two school years in the USA (1969 - 1971)

It takes me years to learn a language but I don't study so many hours a week. If you want to have a more precise impression, have a look at my TAC log.

- German, native language
- Dutch, native level of a foreign language
- English, advanced level
- French, B2 - level
- Italian, B2 - level
- Esperanto, B2 - level
- Spanish, B1 - level
- Latin, only passive knowledge, has become a bit rusty
- Danish, beginner level
- Turkish, beginner level

Classes at University and the adult education center, private study goups, 2 years of experience with self-study

6. How old are you? - 49 years

My whole life is involved with languages, I call this my polyglot lifestyle

- letter ans e-mail correspondence
- polyglot skyping
- forum activies
- cooking with foreign language recipes
- meeting German friends to speak foreign languages with
- thinking in foreign languages throughout the day
- reading magazines of popular science in foreign languages
- singing in foreing languages (English, Dutch, Esperanto)

* Because of poverty I generally cannot travel exept to the Netherlands

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 03 February 2011 at 6:18pm

KTU
Russian Federation
Joined 4836 days ago

11 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, German, Latin

Message 14 of 28
03 February 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
sorry:)

Fasulye wrote:
Interesting, Kate! If you have a topic, one post is enough. Multiple posts of the same topic are not allowed in this forum.

Fasulye

1 person has voted this message useful

KTU
Russian Federation
Joined 4836 days ago

11 posts - 9 votes

Message 15 of 28
03 February 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Yes, thank you, I read this book, it's helpful for me. But also I want to communicate with real polyglots, so I asked you about it.

Iversen wrote:
Katya might be interested in Spivak's book about polyglots, - it's in Russian so she won't have problems reading it. Another fine book about different learning styles in English can be found here. And finally there is "The polyglot project" compiled by Youtube polyglot Syzygy. But to be honest there is nothing really scientific about polyglots or polyglotism in any book I have seen. Those books are inspiring and full of content, but so is this forum if you approach it with a critical mind.

KTU
Russian Federation
Joined 4836 days ago

11 posts - 9 votes

Message 16 of 28
03 February 2011 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye,Iversen,Kuikentje,Journeyer,Solfrid Cristin, Thank you very much for your help! Thank you for responding! I'm glad that I learned, about your languages! Perhaps, in the future I'll join to polyglots!:)

Edited by KTU on 03 February 2011 at 5:44pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version