Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4855 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 28
05 February 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
1. How many languages do you know? Norwegian, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian,
Russian
2. Where (what country) did you study? Norway, Spain, Mexico, Indonesia, Russia
3. How much time is spent studying each language? 3 months - 1 year
4. At what level do you know foreign language? (starter, elementary, intermediate, pre-
intermediate ect.) 2 fluent, 3 intermediate, Russian still beginner...
5. What methods did you use to learn languages? Immersion, coursebooks, dictionaries, TV,
internet, travel, language schools.
6. How old are you? 27
7. Where are you using your languages? Nothing special. I just like it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

KTU
Russian Federation
Joined 4836 days ago

11 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, German, Latin

Message 18 of 28
05 February 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Thank you! Your answer very useful for me!:)

polyglHot wrote:
1. How many languages do you know? Norwegian, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian,
Russian
2. Where (what country) did you study? Norway, Spain, Mexico, Indonesia, Russia
3. How much time is spent studying each language? 3 months - 1 year
4. At what level do you know foreign language? (starter, elementary, intermediate, pre-
intermediate ect.) 2 fluent, 3 intermediate, Russian still beginner...
5. What methods did you use to learn languages? Immersion, coursebooks, dictionaries, TV,
internet, travel, language schools.
6. How old are you? 27
7. Where are you using your languages? Nothing special. I just like it.

1 person has voted this message useful

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6268 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 19 of 28
05 February 2011 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Kate! There is a Russian linguist called Дина Никуличева. She studied the way poliglots learn their languages and the methods they used. You can look for her books. I once listened to her report at a conferece, but everything I remember is that, judging by her reserch, every polyglots develops their own method that works for THEM. I think, there are lots of proves to this on the forum. All you have to do is to like learning languages and to want to do it.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5458 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 20 of 28
06 February 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
1. How many languages do you know?
6 on an advanced level
2. Where (what country) did you study?
Luxembourg, Canada, UK, Switzerland, Spain
3. How much time is spent studying each language?
That's impossible to say, I don't track the time I spend learning languages
4. At what level do you know foreign language? (starter, elementary, intermediate, pre-intermediate ect.)
Fluent (professional level): Luxembourgish, French, German, English, Spanish - Intermediate to advanced: Italian - Elementary to intermediate: Dutch, Russian - Beginner: Portuguese, Indonesian, Esperanto
5. What methods did you use to learn languages?
Depends on the language: some were compulsory or optional subject in primary or secondary school, I studied translation at University, did a 3-month English immersion in Canada where I lived with an English-speaking family and attended high school, I was an exchange student in Spain for one semester and attended summer courses in language and literature in the UK and Spain. For Russian, I attended evening courses for some time. For Italian and Dutch, it's entirely by self-study working through textbooks, reading and watching TV in the language, studying grammar book and practicing in the country when I get the chance.
6. How old are you?
7. Where are you using your languages? (work, books, Internet, communication etc.)
I work as a freelance translator and use Luxembourgish, German, French, English and Spanish almost daily in my work (not only translating, but also communicating with clients). I am a bookworm and read a lot in all my languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

KTU
Russian Federation
Joined 4836 days ago

11 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, German, Latin

Message 21 of 28
06 February 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your answer!It is very useful for me!:)

Iwwersetzerin wrote:
1. How many languages do you know?
6 on an advanced level
2. Where (what country) did you study?..........

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5215 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, FrenchC2, SpanishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 22 of 28
08 February 2011 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
I'm a bit of an anomaly here due to my age, but here goes!

1. How many languages do you know? Five - English, Mandarin, French, Spanish, German

2. Where (what country) did you study? Canada (for French), Singapore (for English and Mandarin Chinese, plus
some French and Spanish), U.S.A. (English, Spanish, some German). If you count immersion experiences, I also
visited France on an immersion trip for 2 weeks, and Germany for an intensive course for 3 weeks.

3. How much time is spent studying each language?
English and Mandarin - since birth (16 years). I was born in Canada to Chinese parents, so I grew up bilingual. I
also attended a local elementary school in Singapore in 1st and 2nd grades, where both English and Mandarin
were taught in school.
French - since 2002 (8 years). I attended a public elementary school in Montreal, Canada, where every subject
was taught in French (including things like math and P.E.), so I became fluent pretty quickly. I've continued to
brush up my skills ever since.
Spanish - since 2005 (5 years). This started when I began taking Spanish classes as electives at school in 7th
grade, and gradually evolved into a self-study ordeal where I watch movies and practice with native speakers
each time I get the chance to.
German - since 2008 (3 years, but more like 2 because this was sort of an on-and-off thing at first). I started
taking private German lessons when I was 13, and have been studying the language seriously ever since I
participated in an intensive language program this past summer.

4. At what level do you know foreign language? (starter, elementary, intermediate, pre-intermediate ect.)

English and Mandarin - Native
French - Native Fluency
Spanish - Advanced Fluency
German - Basic Fluency

5. What methods did you use to learn languages?

English - Most of my schooling was conducted in English, and I currently live in the U.S.
Mandarin - My parents are Chinese, and from an early age my mother taught me to read and write the language.
She still nags at me to practice reading and writing a lot. :P I also obtained the HSK Advanced certificate in 2009,
if that helps any.
French - Immersion for one year; self-study; some private lessons; practice with native speakers. Obtained the
DALF C2 in 2008.
Spanish - Electives in school; self-study; practice with native speakers. Obtained the DELE B2 (Intermedio) in
German - Self-study; private lessons; immersion (for one summer); practice with native speakers. Obtained the
Zertifikat Deutsch B1 earlier this year.

6. How old are you? 16.

7. Where are you using your languages? (work, books, internet, communication ect.)

Family, school, friends, native speakers in target languages, watching movies, reading books

Edited by yawn on 08 February 2011 at 7:38am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 28
08 February 2011 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
yawn wrote:
I'm a bit of an anomaly here due to my age, but here goes!

No, don't worry about being an anomaly, I also spoke 5 languages (Norwegian, Spanish, English, French and German)at the age of 16 (that is if I do not count Swedish and Danish in which case it would be 7) and there are more teenage polyglots here as well :-).

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version