Wilco
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6140 days ago

160 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian

Message 17 of 24
04 February 2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
China is a pretty big country, I am sure there are a couple of vegan restaurants.

In fact, vegetarian diet is a big part of the buddhist cult, isn't it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4853 days ago

48 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 18 of 24
04 February 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Wilco wrote:
China is a pretty big country, I am sure there are a couple of vegan restaurants.

In fact, vegetarian diet is a big part of the buddhist cult, isn't it?

I suppose... anyways, China is oficially atheist country and most of the budhist are in Tibet (they speak tibetan, no? ) ... so, the problem I guess is that this user is saying people not to answer me, and it's not gladly ...
(My point of view just comes from TV documentaries... always I see an oriental -not middle east- country, all they food have meat, eggs or milk ...)
Luck !

stmc2
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6061 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 19 of 24
04 February 2011 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
The whole of east Asia is hard for vegetarians. but a bit of prior research always helps. Such as using this site,

http://www.happycow.net/browse.html

Often the asian definition of vegetarian means vegan anyway.
Also, for Buddhists in Asia, being Buddhist doesn't mean being vegetarian at all.

Edited by stmc2 on 04 February 2011 at 7:19pm

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4876 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 20 of 24
04 February 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
98789 wrote:
User Kartof: How easier can bulgarian be respecting to russian pronunciation ? ... anyways,
Bulgarian is just spoken in Bulgaria (and maybe near zones)... It doesn't mean I'm understimating Bulgary but, ...
is not exactly what I'm looking for.

I would saw that Bulgarian is maybe slightly easier than Russian in pronunciation since Russian had more
palatalization and consonant clusters as well as vowel sounds that change more dramatically in Russian than in
Bulgarian depending on the stress in the word. However, many words are shared between the languages so in
that case you can find some similarly pronounced vocabulary.

I'm currently learning Spanish and I find that there are many words that are almost exactly the same in Bulgarian.
In any case, I find the pronunciation of Bulgarian closer to Spanish than it is to English because the minimal use of
diphthongs and just the way stress is placed on some words.

As for the number of speakers, it is mostly in Bulgaria with a small minority in Moldova and some emigrant
communities in other countries. I don't think anyone would be interested in studying bulgarian unless they had
family members there, were going to live there, or were planning on reading the literature. Russian is more
commonly spoken in Russia and some Eastern European countries but unless you're going to live in Eastern
Europe or if you're planning to study the literature or do business with Russians then you're probably just as
likely to come into contact with Russian as with Bulgarian.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 21 of 24
05 February 2011 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
98789 wrote:
User Bao: I know you're right, but...

I'm not suggesting that you have to learn Mandarin or French. I just wanted to point out that if you go by mere hope of future practicality, those are the languages that come to mind.

If it's for job opportunities, what about Portuguese and German? In Germany, we seem to have a deficit in experienced engineers, at least there's a lot of panic about this going to become a real problem in the future. I don't know about how the situation is in Brazil or how it might develop there, but if you just don't give up too early, Portuguese should be one of the languages that would be easiest for you to learn to working proficiency.
It sounds to me as if you don't know how to structure self-study and then get intimidated and lose motivation? If so, that's nothing unusual and it only means that it would be beneficial for you to have a teacher, class or tutor.

The English orthography is every bit as ... eccentric as the French one. One gets used to things like that. (That is, if you don't suffer from dyslexia, for example. I just remembered having read that there is a lower percentage of people suffering from dyslexia in Italian speakers than in English speakers - not because of the way the disability is distributed, but because the ones with a milder variant can cope just well when reading and writing Italian, but not English.)

ETA: Just wanted to mention it, there are Chinese communities all over the world and they tend to foster their own culture and language quite well over generations. It's just that there isn't a single Chinese language used by overseas Chinese.

Edited by Bao on 05 February 2011 at 1:27am

Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4853 days ago

48 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 22 of 24
05 February 2011 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
User Kartof:
I find both hard xD... I can't find much differences since I can't speak any similar language.
Thanks for answering.

User Bao:
Sure, but anyways both languages seem hard (speacially chinese) and french... it's main focus is Africa... I'm not saying Africa is not good, but this part of Africa I think is not the most interesting (and there also speak arabic, so I think It'd be a better choice)
About Portuguese, I tried it one time, but I just learned some basic phrases with a "tourist book" my mom bought me. That time I hadn't Pc or money (yet have not much money xD), so I couldn't do much more... (My TV used to catch "O-globo" signal, but that channel more often broadcasted TV-novels and ... I wasn't going to watch that -_- ) .... I think will be plenty great to retry portuguese... and as you say, I think it won't take a long time to learn / masterize.
About German, really that's a language I like, and taking in count what I've heard here, I think I'll try that one... also Germany is an awesome country and Deutsche Welle a very interesting channel.
Really, I sometimes get frustrated because I find I can't learn as quick as I'd like, but often I overcome that and continue learning.
I don't know, but I think I can figure out how to pronounce most of the English words (incluiding that I don't know) ... opposite, french I've heard have no that posibility (really I don't know, I've just studied 2 hours of french)
and about the last, I've heard the same, so ... that's another point (It was in my reason also) to not give priority to chinese (mandarin, cantonese or other) as a language to study ...

Thanks for answering, I guess I'll follow your recomendation and I'll start learning portuguese and German at Aulafacil and Deutsche Welle.
Salute !

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5844 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 23 of 24
05 February 2011 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
As for the number of speakers, it is mostly in Bulgaria with a small minority in Moldova and some emigrant
communities in other countries.

Wikipedia says there are 12 million speakers total. Bulgaria itself is about 7 million. Most of the remaining 5 million are immigrant communities around the world, in Europe and the US.

polyglHot
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4876 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 24
05 February 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
The worst languages I've tried pronouncing are Javanese and Russian.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version