Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Languages w/o Voice Being a Distinction?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
20 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Yurk
Triglot
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

29 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian, Azerbaijani
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Sign Language, Korean, Spanish, Indonesian, Irish
Studies: French

Message 9 of 20
15 February 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Really? So is there a standard Scottish Gaelic that the book uses, based on some other dialect, or is it artificial? In
any case, the dialect that doesn't have the MH or BH sound articulated as a labiodental one might actually work for
me.

Do you happen to know the name of the dialect or just where's it's spoken?
1 person has voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 10 of 20
15 February 2011 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
There are lots of languages that lack phonemic voice distinction. It's common among Native American languages like Cree and Cherokee, as well as Austronesian languages like Hawaiian and Māori.

I seem to remember a claim of an Australian Aboriginal language that was pronounced entirely with voiced sounds, but I can't remember what language it was or where I read that. In any case, it's much more the exception than the rule. In languages that lack phonemic voicing, you typically find voiced sonorants (as in pretty much every language) and unvoiced obstruents, though the obstruents have a tendency to be pronounced with voice when sandwiched between two sonorants.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Yurk
Triglot
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

29 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian, Azerbaijani
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Sign Language, Korean, Spanish, Indonesian, Irish
Studies: French

Message 11 of 20
16 February 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Thanks Levi! I've actually found several examples now. I just really didn't know where to begin looking
earlier.

I don't know what language that claim you saw spoke of, but reading up on Dyirbal seems to at least point
in that direction; voiced consonants are more common than unvoiced even though there's no distinction.

Edited by Yurk on 16 February 2011 at 12:22am

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5268 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 12 of 20
16 February 2011 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Spanish lacks phonemic voicing distinction on its fricatives and its affricate. Its stops do feature phonemic distinction by voice ( /p t k b d g/ ). However all the voiced stops have voiced fricative allophones between vowels, and moreover, in certain circumstances (between vowels) the unvoiced stops become voiced and fricativized. Both processes also occur across word boundaries.

The first process is absolutely normativized and is often completely invisible to native speakers. The second process can potentially carry a sociolinguistic marker, which leads to stereotyping of people who are perceived to do this. To be fair, every speaker does it at least sometimes. It's the frequency, or perceived frequency, of the phenomenon which can lead to this sociolinguistic labeling.

Edited by getreallanguage on 16 February 2011 at 4:02am

karaipyhare
Tetraglot
Groupie
Paraguay
Joined 5382 days ago

74 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, Spanish*, English, Guarani
Studies: German, Italian, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 13 of 20
16 February 2011 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Guarani doesn't have a plain voiced/unvoiced distinction between plosives, instead, it
has unvoiced plosives P T K and prenasalized plosives MB NT NG.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5332 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 14 of 20
16 February 2011 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Korean (which it appears you are studying) is somewhat like this. Voicing in Korean is often more based on the prosody of the word/phrase/sentence rather than the consonant itself. For example, take the word 가격 (price). If spoken in isolation, the first and last ㄱ would be unvoiced (thus sounding more "k" like), but the middle ㄱ is voiced (thus sounding more "g" like). Add a subject marker to the end (making it 가격이) and suddenly the 3rd ㄱ is voiced as well.

Sure, you might sound a bit odd if you got the voicing wrong (since the prosody of the sentence would be off), but as long as the tenseness and aspiration is right (which are the primary source of differentiation for Korean consonants, rather than voicing), you are still likely to be understood (depending on the context, of course).

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5808 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 15 of 20
16 February 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Yurk wrote:
Really? So is there a standard Scottish Gaelic that the book uses, based on some other dialect, or is it artificial? In
any case, the dialect that doesn't have the MH or BH sound articulated as a labiodental one might actually work for
me.

Do you happen to know the name of the dialect or just where's it's spoken?

The language in language books has always been a bit of a self-sustaining myth.

You'll still a fair few English courses teaching "I have" as "correct" and dismissing "I've got" as "colloquialism" or "slang". There's still a lot of people teaching nonsense in English like "never end a sentence with a preposition" and "don't split your infinitives".

Gaelic's no better, so the books continue to publish the rules that books before them gave. Gaelic's also had less academic attention than English, so many of the rules of natural Gaelic aren't known for sure yet. The rule that "BH"="MH"="V" is fairly old, but the Modern English V is fairly recent, anyway. What was the V pronounced like when the first person said "BH is like V"? I don't know. So it's not particularly useful as a rule.

Anyway, in Barra, the BH is a funny bilabial fricative with the lips pulled in towards the teeth, so a not-quite-W sound.

horshod
Pentaglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5567 days ago

74 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Marathi*, Bengali, Gujarati, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 16 of 20
16 February 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Tamil almost doesn't (in some cases it does) make the distinction between voiced and
voiceless consonants. It has both the sounds but a single letter to represent both of
the same class.

k/g = க்
ch/j = ச்
T/D (retroflex) = ட்
t/d (dental) = த்
p/b = ப்

I have heard different native speakers pronounce these consonants as voiced or unvoiced
at different times. Although there is sort of a rule which says that the letter is
unvoiced at the beginning of the word and voiced otherwise (with some exceptions).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version