Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5306 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 9 of 32
26 February 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
The worst and also funniest thing I have encountered was an american tourist insulting my currency :)

I was in a big department store in Helsinki, Finland when an american lady pointed with her finger
something and asked me, another customer, "How much?" . I found the price tag and told her " xx euros".
Her response was "Oh, I meant how much money that costs". At that point I was feeling a little bit
bitchy and pretended I didn't understand what she meant with "money" until she told "american dollars".

To tell the truth I didn't feel insulted but amused. To her euros were probably comparable to squirrel pelts
as a currency.
5 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5402 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 11 of 32
27 February 2011 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Marikki wrote:
The worst and also funniest thing I have encountered was an american tourist insulting my currency :)

I was in a big department store in Helsinki, Finland when an american lady pointed with her finger
something and asked me, another customer, "How much?" . I found the price tag and told her " xx euros".
Her response was "Oh, I meant how much money that costs". At that point I was feeling a little bit
bitchy and pretended I didn't understand what she meant with "money" until she told "american dollars".

To tell the truth I didn't feel insulted but amused. To her euros were probably comparable to squirrel pelts
as a currency.

That's funny!!

I have heard American tourists ask how much something cost in "real money", i.e. US dollars. Sad but true.
1 person has voted this message useful

ilperugino
Pentaglot
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 4985 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 32
27 February 2011 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
psy88 wrote:
Kuikentje wrote:
Marikki wrote:

as a currency.

That's funny!!

I have heard American tourists ask how much something cost in "real money", i.e. US dollars. Sad but true.

The other currency is monopoly money, as it is the country, and I´m refering to any kind of - let´say - insolent tourist. They treat us as dummies, monopoly people: I once saw in Italy (Florence) an american woman asking in a very distinctive... English (!) that she wanted "vanilla, chocolate and etc". in her ice-cream!   

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5306 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 13 of 32
27 February 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Well, let's not forget what it is like to be a confused tourist in a distant country. I happen to have very fresh
memories about my very own blunders and the awkward moments when my ignorance and confusion must
have appeard to locals as either arrogance or idiotism. 

The American lady I told about earlier was in fact very warm and friendly just like the most Americans I have
met are. She told me that her group had just arrived to Finland from Russia and the next day they would
"do" Sweden and Norway. So maybe she felt that the consept of "currency" just was something too
overwhelming in her situation..
4 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4997 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 15 of 32
27 February 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
ilperugino wrote:

The other currency is monopoly money, as it is the country, and I´m refering to any kind of - let´say - insolent tourist. They treat us as dummies, monopoly people: I once saw in Italy (Florence) an american woman asking in a very distinctive... English (!) that she wanted "vanilla, chocolate and etc". in her ice-cream!   
Wait, she asked for etc in her ice cream? Or did you write that.
Marikki wrote:
Well, let's not forget what it is like to be a confused tourist in a distant country. I happen to have very fresh
memories about my very own blunders and the awkward moments when my ignorance and confusion must
have appeard to locals as either arrogance or idiotism.
Agreed. I still remember the time I walked up to a French lady and started speaking English. She was so confused. I swear I thought her group was the group of British tourists we'd seen earlier!

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 16 of 32
27 February 2011 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
When abroad, I'm generally hard to spot as a tourist, mainly because I don't act like the usual "obnoxious" tourist
(and I'm not just talking about American tourists, every nation has it's irritating tourists). Just this past week I was
away on vacation. When I flew back to New York, I wasn't in the best of moods. Now flying into JFK is a normal thing
for me...it's going home. However, to these two people from the South (I was flying up from there) it was like a big
magical land they had never seen before, when to me it was just home. I was kind of irritated about their "happy go
lucky" behavior, but then again taking a red eye isn't very fun :P. It's about perspective. Some people can't conceal
their excitement at visiting a new place, and therefore emit symptoms of "obnoxious tourist syndrome". If people
are rude and aren't respectful of your country, its customs, or your people, then by all means politely tell them off.
However, if people are just excited to be in a new place, then don't rain on their parade, even if they are being
obnoxious.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 27 February 2011 at 7:31pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version