Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5046 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 17 of 32
03 June 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
I remember Euros being referred to as 'monopoly money' from a 3 years old, and back in the day it was a very common joke all across Europe, with all the bright, shiny (new) colors. I've also been told or told myself 'real currency' or 'take potatoes out of their mouths' jokes many times abroad, but they were just jokes that we would keep to ourselves, not something you would happily tell anyone from the place, or say in a loud voice, of course...

The problem with many tourists, even some Italian ones, is that apparently they've never heard the old adage 'when in Rome, do as Romans do'. So instead of being rude in return of their rudeness, it might be pointed out to them that no one around behaves like them. However, in this era of political correctness, I don't think telling someone off, even in the smoothest way, can be considered polite anymore ;(

Edited by mrwarper on 03 June 2011 at 4:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6402 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 18 of 32
03 June 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
If I don't count when I've been out travelling myself or guiding foreign friends around Sweden, I can remember a
single encounter with a tourist. It was like ten years ago. I think he asked for directions. I gave them to him.

I guess I don't live in one of the more touristy places of the world …

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5046 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 19 of 32
03 June 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I guess I don't live in one of the more touristy places of the world …

Lucky you:)

Whenever I see a [delete]herd[/delete]group of them, I start getting ready for the -almost- inevitable moment when one of them will make me cringe...

Is it really so hard to pay attention to basic stuff?

I remember when an American girl I was co-students with told me that when she arrived to Barcelona a few days before she was in a short top or t-shirt, slackers, and flip-flops, and she was so shocked -and soaked- when she discovered she had arrived in the middle of a huge, rather chilly, downpour. Of course, silly me, why would she expect from a tropical country anything other than charring, sunny weather?

I don't know if this is normal, but I check the weather at my arrival destination before taking any flights :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4829 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 32
03 June 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
I believe it's good to remind them of proper manners in a polite way but sometimes it is hard to decide what to do.

A friend of mine works as a tourist guide from time to time. An american tourist asked her: "Do the Czechs usually have water supply at home?". Some of the tourists expect to see a museum of medieval ages and communism when coming here and can't accept the truth even when faced with it. What would you say in such situation? I honestly don't know.

And usual trouble are loud turists, I'd say the loudest are Germans. Not only in Czech Republic but in other European countries as well but there's quite nothing you can do about those, unless it's late in the night.

I had to remind a friend about proper manners once. In France. She was making jokes about the language and couldn't understand I didn't find it funny.

But I remember a blunder of mine as well. Skiing in France and standing in a queue for a chairlift. And there comes a lady in her middle years (no idea what nation), making a way before me and a friend by walking on our skis (not healthy for the poor equipment, especially when considering figure of the lady). So we got on a chair lift with a few people we didn't know and I started talking about the lady, using many creative czech curse words, and didn't notice the people were suspiciously silent. They were czech.

Edited by Cavesa on 03 June 2011 at 6:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4950 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 21 of 32
03 June 2011 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

I had to remind a friend about proper manners once. In France. She was making jokes about the language and couldn't understand I didn't find it funny.

A few years ago, I watched a film titled "L'Auberge Espagnole" (its English title is "The Spanish Apartment" but I could swear when I saw it that it had a working English title of "European Soup").

Anyway, the movie is full of tasteless language jokes, from all sides. Still a funny movie, though. People make bad jokes about pretty much all languages around the globe. You can get offended by it, or just gently remind the person that the joke's really not all that funny.

R.
==

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4829 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 22 of 32
03 June 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
You know, I am not against language jokes in general. I'll laugh to a good joke about language (even my own, those actually tend to be the best) and sometimes to a bad one, but I just can't stand when an adult woman, older than I am, enjoys quite the same joke whole week in France. The more when it is a joke worthy of a small child. Actually is there a thread about language jokes somewhere in the forum?

Edited by Cavesa on 03 June 2011 at 7:46pm

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4935 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 23 of 32
03 June 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
As much as I dislike obnoxious tourists, I don't think it's fair to call people obnoxious just for being excited to be somewhere that you call home. I know I can go to another city in Canada and still be jumping up and down with excitement. It's the joy of travel. If I saw someone visiting Winnipeg and acting really excited about everything, I certainly wouldn't think that's obnoxious. I would just feel proud of my city.

That being said, I don't appreciate Americans coming up and calling our money Monopoly money (unless it's in a friendly teasing way), nor being asked about igloos, polar bears, or beavers. You have to be a Canadian or a close friend of one to make those jokes. :)

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4950 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 24 of 32
03 June 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:

That being said, I don't appreciate Americans coming up and calling our money Monopoly money (unless it's in a friendly teasing way), nor being asked about igloos, polar bears, or beavers. You have to be a Canadian or a close friend of one to make those jokes. :)

Everybody needs friends like Bob and Doug McKenzie. See SCTV for reference, although Chicago, where SCTV is based, has its own special brand of self-mockery.

R.
==

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version