spirit splice
United States
Joined 4832 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 55
24 February 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Learning German and looking at the different articles for nouns based on their gender (I believe other
languages use this though English does not) I am left wondering what purpose could this serve. I find no
useful utility for a noun having a gender. English gets along fine without it and all it seems to do is muddy
the water and complicate things. Is there a historical usefulness for this or is it just an oddity of language?
1 person has voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5056 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 2 of 55
24 February 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
I wonder this all the time!

I once read a Spanish book and at the beginning it said something like, "now, you may not
see the point of grammatical gender right now, but I promise you will once you're done
with this book." I read the whole thing, and I still do not understand why it exists.

Of course I understand how to use it and can do so without trouble when I speak a
language that has it, but what I don't understand is WHY it exists and how it came about.
There must be a reason, though, because it is so common in world languages.

spirit splice
United States
Joined 4832 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: German

Message 3 of 55
24 February 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I mean how does a person look at a hammer and know that it's masculine or feminine? It seems to make
no sense. I think it ought to be gotten rid of in all languages as part of a thorough auditing of their stupid
orthohraphies. And yes I include English in this. All languages ought to be fully phonetic with only ONE
way to pronounce each consonant or vowel, no matter where it lies in a word. But back to the topic at
hand.....

CS
Groupie
United States
Joined 4926 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Latin, French

Message 4 of 55
24 February 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Grammatical gender can sometimes help eliminate a bit of ambiguity in a language with regard to pronouns and
such, and perhaps free up word order a little.

Ultimately it's just one of the things that make natural languages so much fun, and it should be enjoyed on that
basis.

Learn the gender when you learn a word, at least if the word's that important to you. Or learn one of the many
languages without gender but with other quirks to make up for it.

Edited by CS on 25 February 2011 at 10:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6954 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 55
24 February 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
spirit splice wrote:
Learning German and looking at the different articles for nouns based on their gender (I believe other
languages use this though English does not) I am left wondering what purpose could this serve. I find no
useful utility for a noun having a gender. English gets along fine without it and all it seems to do is muddy
the water and complicate things. Is there a historical usefulness for this or is it just an oddity of language?

Grammatical gender in Indo-European languages possibly derived from Proto-Indo-European hypothetically dividing nouns into two classes: animate and inanimate. Over time this general binary distinction was then reinterpreted or modified in successor languages as classes corresponding to observable animal gender (masculine, feminine, whatever's left/neuter) and even applied to objects or ideas which by definition do not have reproductive organs. Perhaps it's odd or pointless but all part of the language, willy-nilly.

Noun classes are just a way that some speakers classify, compartmentalize or organize phenomena or ideas, nothing more. Other languages exhibit noun divisions beyond gender-based analogy or perception. For example, Luganda has 10-17 noun classes (depends on how you count them) including classes reserved for each of nouns denoting languages and verbal nouns.

8 persons have voted this message useful

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4864 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 6 of 55
24 February 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
I once read in a book about Spanish that you shouldn't think of grammatical gender as giving objects male or
female characteristics but rather as just another grammatical category to apply to the language. I wonder why the
categories are associated with gender though.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5056 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 7 of 55
24 February 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
I think Chung's post could explain that, Kartof. Although I always just assumed it was
because that's a convenient way to describe things that come in two categories. :)

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5467 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 8 of 55
24 February 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
spirit splice wrote:
Learning German and looking at the different articles for nouns
based on their gender (I believe other
languages use this though English does not) I am left wondering what purpose could this
serve. I find no
useful utility for a noun having a gender. English gets along fine without it and all it
seems to do is muddy
the water and complicate things. Is there a historical usefulness for this or is it just
an oddity of language?

English used to have grammatical gender, but it sort of fizzled out as it morphed into
modern English. There are still traces of it, though, such as calling ships "she".

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version