Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 41 of 55
27 February 2011 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
Kartof wrote:
I once read in a book about Spanish that you shouldn't think of
grammatical gender as giving objects male or
female characteristics but rather as just another grammatical category to apply to the language. I wonder why
the
categories are associated with gender though.

You've got that the wrong way round.

Traditionally, category was synonymous with gender.

In Modern English, the word "gender" has lost its meaning in everyday use, and has now become synonymous
with only one type of categorisation -- classification by biological sex.

But the term "gender" in grammar predates that change in meaning. It's a shame we didn't stop using it,
because it has caused a lot of confusion to a lot of people.

So we have "categories" in language, not "sexes". It just so happens that we often reuse these categories to
denote sex, and the obvious label for these categories then becomes sex -- hence we call a French beer
feminine, not because it is feminine, but because it is in the same category as women are.

Yes, that's a really good point that you make in which the link to gender may be because of the category the
word that denotes the sex is in. However, why is it then that in most languages the article is based on gender
and not on some other arbitrary category like its color or its shape? It'd be interesting if languages were
reorganized in such way.

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, there are languages that organize nouns into classes that go beyond gender. Luganda has 10-17 classes including ones that cover nouns referring to languages or verbal nouns. Other examples of noun classification that go beyond gender are Dyirbal's 4-way distinction (1. masculine and animate; 2. women, water, fire, violence; 3. edible fruits and vegetables; 4. everything else) and Swahili's 8-9 way distinction (1. people; 2. tress, natural forces; 3. groups; 4. artifacts; 5. animals, loanwords; 6. extensions; 7. abstract; 8. gerunds from verbal infinitives).

You may find Wikipedia's article on the subject to be a good primer.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 43 of 55
27 February 2011 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
Yes, that's a really good point that you make in which the link to gender may be because of the category the
word that denotes the sex is in. However, why is it then that in most languages the article is based on gender
and not on some other arbitrary category like its color or its shape? It'd be interesting if languages were
reorganized in such way.

I suspect it's just that there's not a single person on the planet who isn't acutely aware of the differences between a man and a woman. It makes sense that as genders are lost, the most obvious ones would be the last to go -- hence the late survival or sexual gender in many languages, but the loss of non-sexual genders.

Chung wrote:
As I had mentioned in my earlier post, there are languages that organize nouns into classes that go beyond gender.

Again, I'd caution against using gender as a synonym for sex when discussing language -- the notion of grammatical gender is not limited to sexual gender, and while I'm all for using vernacular terms and would prefer to say "class" rather than "gender", the word gender is in common use in the literature, and we need to remain clear that it has a very different meaning in linguistics.
Yes, linguistics should catch up with Real Life (TM), but we've got to remain clear.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5619 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 44 of 55
31 March 2011 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
I tend to think that it's a relic of our animist past where tribal religions believed
that everything had a spirit in it.

I agree that its not useful today. I think any Spanish speaker will understand you if you
said "la martillo, el playa, etc."

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4892 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 45 of 55
15 May 2011 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
spirit splice wrote:
I mean how does a person look at a hammer and know that it's masculine or feminine? It seems to make
no sense. I think it ought to be gotten rid of in all languages as part of a thorough auditing of their stupid
orthohraphies. And yes I include English in this. All languages ought to be fully phonetic with only ONE
way to pronounce each consonant or vowel, no matter where it lies in a word. But back to the topic at
hand.....

Because we just know that it's masculine. We, native speakers of languages which have noun genders, we just speak it, without thinking whether it's masculine or feminine. Many people don't consider a hammer being a masculine thing or a feminine thing. I know it might be difficult and unnecessary if you are learning, but that's just the way it is. Many people who don't know about languages will not know what you're talking about if you ask them "why do you think that the hammer is masculine?", because it's so natural for us, the gender must rhyme (at least most of times).

For example, in my native language:

Hammer - Martelo
Martelo ends with the letter O, so it's masculine. O martelo.

House - A casa

It isn't that difficult.

As you said, you don't see a reason for noun genders, but at least in Portuguese, it sounds much better than it would be if it was "A martelo". With the correct gender, the language rhymes and makes more sense to the ears. I'm not saying that because it would be weird if I heard it incorrect, but it really rhymes in our ears.

I agree with the weird orthographies. English and French would be the first I'd change if I could.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5619 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 46 of 55
15 May 2011 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:

Hammer - Martelo
Martelo ends with the letter O, so it's masculine. O martelo.

House - A casa

Same in Spanish:
El martillo
La casa

The only exception I can think of is "el aqua" which is for phonetic reasons.
(Interestingly, Italian handles it by forming a contraction: "l'acqua")

I think most languages have "genders" for objects that don't have an actual gender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender#Gender_acros s_language_families

Anyway, it's just another pattern your mind will absorb with exposure.
You will be understood even if you get the gender wrong.

Matheus wrote:

I agree with the weird orthographies. English and French would be the first I'd change
if I could.

God, yes, those should be fixed.
And Pin Yin for Mandarin!

Edited by ChiaBrain on 15 May 2011 at 6:21am

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 47 of 55
15 May 2011 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
ChiaBrain wrote:
The only exception I can think of is "el aqua" which is for phonetic reasons.

La mano, el mapa, la moto, la radio, el sistema.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 48 of 55
15 May 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Actually when I started learning English, it seemed weird to me that it doesn't have genders for many words, most things are neutral. Just as it seemed unusual to me that French only has feminine and masculine and no neuter. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

In some languages there are words that have different meanings in different genders, I'm certain I've seen a few in French, just cannot remember which ones right now.

And I don't think it is such a trouble as long as there are rules allowing you to classify most words correctly at first sight, such as the endings.

And sometimes I find it quite interesting to compare the differences :-)

Edited by Cavesa on 15 May 2011 at 8:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version