Tags: Europe | History | Latin
 Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
36 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4807 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Catalan, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Greek, Japanese, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, Swahili, Persian, Ancient Egyptian, Romansh, Tatar, Sanskrit, Lithuanian, Kazakh, Basque, Hawaiian, Arabic (classical), Finnish, Czech, Turkish, Indonesian

Message 33 of 36
31 March 2011 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
People used to pray a lot in Latin. They knew many prayers by heart.
Children started their Latin studying by repetition a long poem that contained all the rules of morfology.
They were baptised, married and buried in latin. They sung their canonical hours in Latin.
I guess much of the studying work was made orally, and then the use of personal slates to write and wipe and write again.Not that much reading was involved yet.
When years later they were indeed able to read some Latin, they had to receive some kind of canonical order, otherwise they were not allowed to read the Bible. And so they had access to manuscripts and did write their own manuscripts.
So, by the time the cathedral schools and universities started, they had to change and open their mentality and let laymen manuscript writers set up shop. But still to go to the cathedral university meant that you had to get a higher degree in some order so you were allowed to read Latin Philosophy by your own.
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6083 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 34 of 36
17 June 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
How accurate a portrayal of 14th century reality I do not know, but the Pardoner in
The Canterbury Tales makes a little use of Latin to flavour his speech, especially
radix malorum est cupiditas - "Greed is the root of all evils". He is a minor
church official. It is doubtful whether he is actually fluent in Latin, although his
handling of English to manipulate people who listen to his sermons is quite brilliant.
The odd bit of Latin is probably designed to make him seem more educated than he is, and
to overawe his listeners.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 35 of 36
19 September 2011 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
artemidora wrote:
People used to pray a lot in Latin. They knew many prayers by heart.
Children started their Latin studying by repetition a long poem that contained all the rules of morfology.
They were baptised, married and buried in latin. They sung their canonical hours in Latin.
I guess much of the studying work was made orally, and then the use of personal slates to write and wipe and write again.Not that much reading was involved yet.
When years later they were indeed able to read some Latin, they had to receive some kind of canonical order, otherwise they were not allowed to read the Bible. And so they had access to manuscripts and did write their own manuscripts.
So, by the time the cathedral schools and universities started, they had to change and open their mentality and let laymen manuscript writers set up shop. But still to go to the cathedral university meant that you had to get a higher degree in some order so you were allowed to read Latin Philosophy by your own.

I had been going to make a similar point. Before the Reformation, most of Europe was Catholic, and attendance at Mass was compulsory. As well as listening to the priest reciting the liturgy (and hearing the choir sing it at high mass), the altar servers would have had to learn the responses by heart (just as I did as a young altar server). I imagine that monks and priests would have been recruited from the ranks of the altar servers, or would at least have been servers at some point, and known the words of the mass and many hymns and psalms by heart, even if not knowing fully what they meant, which would have been a start.

Edited by montmorency on 19 September 2011 at 2:37am

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4681 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 36 of 36
30 September 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
So because Latin gradually became a dead language the study of this language was redefined
to an intellectual game which students had to endure like cold showers and flogging because it was supposed to
strengthen their thinking in general. Which of course is rubbish. And this absurd practice spread to the study of
living languages.

However the thing that isn't made clear in the quote is that those students actually did learn vocabulary,
grammatical rules and Latin classics - the method taught them what it was supposed to teach.

I was lucky to learn Latin after the demise of the cold showers and flogging (whoa!), but apart from that the
quote above is pretty close to the way I was taught Latin in the 60s and 70s. When I decided to relearn Latin I
wanted of course to learn it as a living language. At the time I could barely read a line in Latin, but once I got
back to the language the grammar and much of the vocabulary came back to me in a flash.

So my conclusion is that the aim of the old Latin teaching was totally wrong, the hype about the beneficial effects
of studying it is and was pure bull****, but within its own narrow limits the old method was effective
enough
. In other words: the study of grammar and vocabulary through books and wordlists is in itself not a
bad thing - it just has to be done within a very different mindset where you study languages with productivity in
mind, and where you try to work with comprehensible, preferably genuine texts that also are appealing in their
own right.

Maybe a few scholars can be satisfied with the ability to read Latin as you solve sudokus, but no language
deserves to be seen just as an extended riddle.

My understanding of Latin pedagogy in earlier centuries is this: grammar school was for learning Latin. Alfred's
Colloquies are very interesting, and they provide a unique window into medieval schooling. Comenius published
Orbis Pictus in 1658, and it was pretty revolutionary for the time. If I remember correctly, it was aimed at younger
students. 8859-1&source=gbs_gdata#v=onepage&q&f=false">See a sample here.

Older students continued their studies in Latin. As in, class was held in Latin. Something tells me the motivation
worked a bit differently back in the day. Iversen's quote is fairly typical of late 19th Century Latin teacher
laments. I've not seen that quote before, but there are more in that vein. I'd tell you how teaching of Latin has
improved vastly, but all too many in the profession (myself most guilty at times--but I do try to make the spoken
language available for students too) treat it like an intellectual puzzle for students. Even if we experience Latin in
a wholly different and visceral way.

Iversen, I'm glad you didn't have to endure floggings for your Latin. It is a natural language and benefits from
such an approach.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version