Diglot
Australia
Joined 6522 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 19
01 March 2011 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
I'm looking for opinions on Assimil French Without Toil. Many years ago I found both French Without Toil & German Without Toil.

I have heard that German Without Toil was in fact quite good as a study tool. I would like your opinions on whether it is worth working through French Without Toil?
1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5497 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 2 of 19
01 March 2011 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
If you look around this forum a bit, you'll find about 436,972 people (that's just a rough estimate) who swear by Assimil and say it's the best thing ever. ;)

Certain Assimil courses are admitted to be not so good, but the French is not one of them. I'm using a very old version of it right now (from the 40s or 50s, I think) and I love it.

Of course you can't discount differences in learning preferences – what works for 436,972 other people might not work for you. There are actually a bunch of a people on this forum who prefer other methods to Assimil, too.

I'd recommend just trying the first week or so of lessons (if your current target language is French, that is) and seeing whether the method works for you.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5369 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 19
01 March 2011 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I love French Without Toil, in fact I consider it to be one of my top 10 favourite books of all time along with Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and The Aeneid (which probably shows how sad I am).

In terms of learning French, however, I think it gets quite demanding if you don't already have some French already, especially if you follow the supplemental exercises on verb conjugations, etc. This is not a problem as you have to do it anyway at some point, but be prepared to be sucked into French Without Toil and come out the other side slightly shell shocked!
3 persons have voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6950 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 4 of 19
01 March 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
I can vouch for the Assimil German Without Toil. I had done absolutely no German before and I found the course easy to use and I was able to work in Germany and travel without any language problems.

I was introduced to French Without Toil at night school but I had already had three years of French at night school so I wasn't an absolute beginner. I love the course and it helped me to understand spoken French (which I couldn't do at high school) and my French improved more in months than it had in years at school.

I got to like Paul and enjoyed seeing France and the French through his eyes. He has a confidence trick tried on him, gets to know a French family and then falls for a French girl. It even includes the French method of making coffee, although it must be well and truly outdated. (I loved French coffee.)

I have the two new French courses but the old Without Toil is my favourite.

Edited by fanatic on 01 March 2011 at 10:34am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6522 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 5 of 19
01 March 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Thanks so much guys :) I really appreciate hearing your opinions.

My other option is to buy the Assimil French With Ease course, which I would LOVE to do, but well... it's not cheap and I'll have to wait AGES for it to arrive! It would be great if they offered it a little cheaper as an internet download and you could print it yourself. I probably wouldn't hesitate in that situation.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5257 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan

Message 6 of 19
01 March 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
In terms of learning French, however, I think it gets quite demanding if you don't already have
some
French already, especially if you follow the supplemental exercises on verb conjugations, etc. This is not a
problem
as you have to do it anyway at some point, but be prepared to be sucked into French Without Toil and come out
the
other side slightly shell shocked!

I agree. French without Toil is very good. However, I wouldn't recommend it to an absolute beginner. The
progression is steep, a lot steeper than New French with Ease. For instance, I think it puts too much emphasis on
the
passé simple too early.

Katie wrote:
My other option is to buy the Assimil French With Ease course, which I would LOVE to do, but well...

If you do buy the New French with Ease, I would still recommend that you work your way through French without
Toil at some point. It's just so thorough and enjoyable that it would be a shame not to use it.

Edited by tractor on 01 March 2011 at 8:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

johnclt
Joined 4860 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Studies: French*

Message 7 of 19
22 March 2011 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I see French with Ease in Amazon. Is there only one book? Do I need the CD's as well? I am not a beginner.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5257 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan

Message 8 of 19
22 March 2011 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
johnclt wrote:
I see French with Ease in Amazon. Is there only one book? Do I need the CD's as well? I am not a
beginner.

Unless you are 100 % sure that your pronunciation is already perfect, get the audio. Even if your pronunciation is
perfect, get the audio.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version