Joined 4903 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 9 of 19
23 March 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Elexi wrote:
In terms of learning French, however, I think it gets quite demanding if you don't already have
some
French already, especially if you follow the supplemental exercises on verb conjugations, etc. This is not a
problem
as you have to do it anyway at some point, but be prepared to be sucked into French Without Toil and come out
the
other side slightly shell shocked!

I agree. French without Toil is very good. However, I wouldn't recommend it to an absolute beginner. The
progression is steep, a lot steeper than New French with Ease. For instance, I think it puts too much emphasis on
the
passé simple too early.

Katie wrote:
My other option is to buy the Assimil French With Ease course, which I would LOVE to do, but well...

If you do buy the New French with Ease, I would still recommend that you work your way through French without
Toil at some point. It's just so thorough and enjoyable that it would be a shame not to use it.

French without Toil, French with Ease, New French with Ease... can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is? I'm thinking about buying one of them and I'd like to know what's good for the "false beginner" stage. For whatever it's worth, I'm currently using French II B in Pimsleur.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 23 March 2011 at 5:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5256 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 19
23 March 2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:

French without Toil, French with Ease, New French with Ease... can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is? I'm
thinking about buying one of them and I'd like to know what's good for the "false beginner" stage.

First came French without Toil (140 lessons), after that French with Ease (99 lessons) and then New French with Ease
(113 lessons). French with Ease and New French with Ease are practically the same course. Most of the lessons are
the same. I guess they only modernised the course a bit and added a few more lessons. French without Toil is
completely different. They are all suitable for a false beginner.

4 persons have voted this message useful

freedom_2011
Egypt
Joined 4799 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English

Message 11 of 19
23 March 2011 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Try Michel Thomas before Assimil...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4903 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 

Message 12 of 19
23 March 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
freedom_2011 wrote:

I borrowed French for Beginners with Michel Thomas from the library and I liked it. Unfortunately none of my library's vendors sell the advanced version.
tractor wrote:
First came French without Toil (140 lessons), after that French with Ease (99 lessons) and then New French with Ease
(113 lessons). French with Ease and New French with Ease are practically the same course. Most of the lessons are
the same. I guess they only modernised the course a bit and added a few more lessons. French without Toil is
completely different. They are all suitable for a false beginner.

Thank you for that information. Now if only I knew the difference between the Eases and Without Toil... (hint, hint)

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5256 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 13 of 19
23 March 2011 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
French without Toil has more old-fashioned vocabulary, steeper progression, more grammar, more lessons etc.
Both French without Toil and (New) French with Ease are excellent courses. Get both, if you can.
4 persons have voted this message useful

freedom_2011
Egypt
Joined 4799 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes

Message 14 of 19
24 March 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:

freedom_2011 wrote:

I borrowed French for Beginners with Michel Thomas from the library and I liked it. Unfortunately none of my library's vendors sell the advanced version.

try to Google it :), BTW try also -later- Hugo in 3 months if you want to learn in depth in the French Grammar
Wish you the best of luck!

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4903 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 

Message 15 of 19
24 March 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
French without Toil has more old-fashioned vocabulary, steeper progression, more grammar, more lessons etc.
Both French without Toil and (New) French with Ease are excellent courses. Get both, if you can.

Thanks I'm looking into French Without Toil because I foud a copy for 5.27, but it doesn't have the CD.

I'm also considering the CD/book Combo of New French with Ease, but that is 30 dollars and one reviewer says that the CD cannot be downloaded into MP3 form. My library has spoiled me by offering products like Berlitz complete, MT, and Pimsleur for free so that is a much steeper price than what I'm used to.

freedom_2011 wrote:
try to Google it :), BTW try also -later- Hugo in 3 months if you want to learn in depth in the French Grammar

I found that Hugo thing at my library. I'm going to order it and see how good it is.

freedom_2011
Egypt
Joined 4799 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes

Message 16 of 19
25 March 2011 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:

freedom_2011 wrote:

I found that Hugo thing at my library. I'm going to order it and see how good it is.

Hugo contains 12 chapters (for 12 weeks ) ,It about grammar drill for example first chapter contains :
Articles
Gender of nouns
Plural of nouns
Subject pronouns
Addressing people
Verb "to have"Avoir"
The negative
Vocabulary , exercises & conversation

full review about Hugo series from Prof. Alexander Arguelles
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6dBhWvC8zEU

Don't miss this free course about French Phonology
from FSI site or one link from http://www.freelanguagecourses.com/language/french/fsi-cours e-introduction-to-french-phonology-168/
(remove any spaces in the link)

Edited by freedom_2011 on 25 March 2011 at 2:22pm

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version