Canada
Joined 4891 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 1 of 17
03 March 2011 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Привет

I'm currently studying russian, and I was wondering something about "natural speech." In all languages, there are "filling words/expressions" that people use in various occasions. Some examples in English would be "so," "hum," "okay," "eh," "like, hum." I'm sure you get the idea.

What would be equivalent russian expressions? I only know of давай which can be used in almost any occasion where something has to "get a move on."

My aim in learning those words is really to make my speech more natural, closer to what native speakers would say. Obviously, I won't start using them right away, without have a better idea of their background and intricate meanings according to various situations, but knowing them and being able to listen out for them will definitely be a start. I'm even open to "familiar web-speak" expressions, used only online, such as "lol" "wtf" or *anything* at all.

If at all possible, I'd like a brief description of their context and meaning.

Спасибо!
1 person has voted this message useful

clang
Groupie
United States
Joined 5131 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 2 of 17
04 March 2011 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
So, these are all from examples of living in Moldova, and uh, I'm not sure if these are like, you know, used
everywhere in the same sort of way.

Так, как бы, это самый, значит, то есть, знаешь/знаете?

Так really means "so" or "thusly" and is used all the time with meaning. It is also just used as umm/sooo..

Как бы is probably the equivalent of "like" or "sorta" in English as a filler. It is also part of a bunch of
    constructions with various meanings, including "how would.."

Это самый is meaningless in the way you hear people use it as a filler. Это самый literally means "This is the
    very" best, worst, etc. When you are just hearing native Russian for the first time, it can be hard to sort out the
    real use vs. the meaningless uses!

Значит means "it means" and то есть means "that is". It is the equivalent of "that is" or "I mean"
    in English. This one isn't just filler, but people can tend to use it as a filler-type crutch sometimes.

Знаешь/знаете "you know?"

Please tell me anything I did wrong/fix all of my mistakes.

Edited by clang on 04 March 2011 at 10:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

FrostBlast
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4891 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 

Message 3 of 17
04 March 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Even considering you're not 100% sure about what you said, I still do recognize words among those. It's a start, thx!

Bradley326
Groupie
Joined 5968 days ago

78 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Kazakh, Spanish

Message 4 of 17
04 March 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
One of the most common ones I've heard while living in Russia and Kazakhstan is "ну", which would equate to our "well..." Kind of a word you can use to give yourself time to think.

It's a very useful word and I've found myself using it so much that it's been leaking into my English.

Not too long ago I was giving a presentation (in English) and someone asked me a question. I responded "ну...that depends on...", mixing the Russian filler word and the English sentence. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

FrostBlast
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4891 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 

Message 5 of 17
05 March 2011 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Ну. Хорошо!

Срасибо!

Delaunay
Pentaglot
Hungary
Joined 4781 days ago

16 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: German, Hungarian*, English, Japanese, Dutch
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 17
31 March 2011 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
What you are looking for are the so called fillers, or as the Russians says: слова-паразиты or parasite words.

If you search them, you will probably find a lot, but the ones I came across the most in my relatively short stint in Moscow were Э-э ('eh'), это ('this'), ну ('well'), Как бы(the closest English equvivalent I know would be 'like', but I would look up a few examples for this, as it's a very versatile word!), Типа(slang form of Как бы), Короче('to cut a long story short'), В принципе('probably', 'theoretically') and В общем('generally speaking'). Good luck with them!
3 persons have voted this message useful

zonius
Triglot
Israel
Joined 4854 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 7 of 17
31 March 2011 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Bradley326 wrote:
One of the most common ones I've heard while living in Russia and Kazakhstan is "ну", which would equate to our "well..." Kind of a word you can use to give yourself time to think.

It's a very useful word and I've found myself using it so much that it's been leaking into my English.

Side note - the word is so addictive that it was adopted in Modern Hebrew and is used very frequently (although the speakers often have no idea of it's origin :) )

1qaz2wsx
Diglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5165 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 8 of 17
02 April 2011 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I would definitely choose 'ну'.It's a very common word which basically means 'well,...' but sometimes it also means 'да','yes'.

-Ты будешь пить?
-Ну!

-Will you have a drink?
-By all means,yes!

Edited by 1qaz2wsx on 02 April 2011 at 9:57pm

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version