Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 16
09 March 2011 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
microsnout wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
In Canada, outside Québec, most people learning French will choose European French over
Canadian French and will choose to watch French tv or movies rather than local productions.

Not me... et j'ai de la misère à comprendre ça.

Et heureusement qu'il y a des exceptions!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 16
09 March 2011 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
I've been told that in the years after WWII, Dutch parents actively encouraged their children to fail German in school. ;-)

I have heard of no such cases in Norway,but after the war German lost a lot of its status as a school language.

My mother learned German as her first foreign language before the war, when I grew up in the 70ies everyone had German as their second foreign language, and now, in my daughter's class about 15% is studying German as a second language. If the decline goes much further it will disappear.

That would really be sad. German is a language which every educated Norwegian has had some knowledge in, it is a language which is vital to our trade, and it is the language of Göthe and Schiller.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4891 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 11 of 16
15 March 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
I'm from Brazil and I can agree with the part of Brazilians being descent of Europeans,
like German, Polish (I have German and Polish heritage), Russian, Italian.. but I've
never heard about a Dutch descent (I've never known one in my life). I'm from the
South, where I think the most Germans descent are living. Perhaps because here we have
the most blond people of the country. In some cities of my state (far from metropolis)
most of the population are bilingual, speaking German and Portuguese as mother tongues,
this is a true fact.If you want to open a store, or start a business there, make sure
you speak German. I don't know whether people don't want to learn German, but the most
of them aren't interested in languages at all and they just go for the most useful ones
(and they learn because of obligation), like English and Spanish (the last we
understand almost effortlessly). Perhaps I never asked anyone, "do you want to learn
German?" but I know two girls really interested in German, even more than English.
Being a native speaker of Portuguese, I can understand more than 80% of the Spanish
language, that's why I'm not interested in learning it. In my mind it wouldn't worth
it. I don't like languages close related to my own. In fact, I've Language Xenophobia,
because I'm not interested in Romance languages. The only languages I saw my friends
learning are English (obligation, importance), Spanish (those who fail at English try
Spanish, but in some cases they prefer Spanish over English), Japanese (anime lovers,
otakus) Italian (I've only seen one guy studying it, due to his Italian heritage).

Edited by Matheus on 15 March 2011 at 6:49pm

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4956 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 12 of 16
17 March 2011 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Matheus, Dutch ancestry is very common among Northeastern White Brazilian. They came
before the European Immigrants. But, the Dutch families had adopt portuguese surnames.
2 persons have voted this message useful

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5678 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 13 of 16
09 April 2011 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
What happens here in Brazil is that many Brazilians don't really dare to learn anything too exotic and perhaps most of them don't even see a reason why they would learn a language like German. So, besides English and a few other Romance languages - being Spanish the most common - everything else is simply neglected.

Nejimakidori
Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4792 days ago

9 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 14 of 16
25 April 2011 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
In spite of a huge proportion of the Chinese population resenting the Japanese since WW2 and actively marching on the streets every time something occurs between the two countries (remember Senkaku/Diaoyu islands), the second language the most studied in Chinese universities after English is... Japanese.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6475 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 15 of 16
26 April 2011 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:
I'm from Brazil and I can agree with the part of Brazilians being descent of Europeans,
like German, Polish (I have German and Polish heritage), Russian, Italian.. but I've
never heard about a Dutch descent (I've never known one in my life).

The Dutch once were very present in Northeastern Brazil.

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4774 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 16 of 16
27 April 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
michau wrote:
In Poland people did take pride in not learning Russian, but it was during the communism, when Russian classes were obligatory. Now almost everyone understands that speaking major languages, such as English or Russian is an advantage. I don't know the statistics, but I guess there is more proficient Russian speakers in Poland than in, say, Germany. So I wouldn't say that Slavic people don't learn Russian.

Speaking Russian in Poland is not such an advantage and in fact very few young Poles learn Russian anymore. English, obviously, but German too are more widespread.

There's a recurrent joke you'll find in several different versions especially on internet: "mum, I was so patriotic that I failed the German and Russian exams".

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version