United States
Joined 5383 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 1 of 17
15 March 2011 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Hey guys, I know it's been awhile, don't worry, I've still been studying :D

I've come up with a new plan, to study one language intensely for a year (while keeping up with the previous ones) in order to get to a basic fluency or high basic fluency.

My German is coming along very well, it's much more straight forward than I first thought, and everything is making sense. By the end of the year I will have Assimil completely memorized and understood, and I will also complete FSI German, German: How to Speak and Write It, and German Made Simple. This should allow me to understand around 80%+ of what I come across, along with extra audio and vocabulary/grammar study. So I've come up with a plan, why not do this every year?

Next year I think I'll be tackling French, with French: How to Speak and Write It (maybe) Assimil New French with Ease, and Using French. I figured learning french first would make Italian a bit easier, but hey, who knows.

So what do you think? Does my plan seem viable? Given that I already know a romance language very well, French shouldn't TOO hard, I'm more worried about Russian :D

Any tips or advice? Keep in mind I will be studying at least an hour of hard study every day, plus at least 5 new extra vocabulary words, while maintaining anything I've already learned. I figured why try to tackle more than one language at a time, when I could just learn one every year (minus Russian, that might take a bit longer)

-Jordan
3 persons have voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5279 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 17
15 March 2011 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
I wish I had the patience to tackle ONLY one once a year :). Definitely do it. It will allow you to accomplish more
with one language.

Hmmmmm...I'm getting some ideas :P.

And welcome back to the forums. It HAS been a while since you've posted.

Edit: wait no not really you've been posting here and there...regardless, WELCOME BACK :D.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 15 March 2011 at 2:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4921 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 17
15 March 2011 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
I like the idea and want to do it too! but I suspect there might be some two-year languages on your list. I'm
not nearly so far in my Mandarin study as you are in German after about eight months. Russian could be
similar for you. What will you do if you're not at that 80% level by the end of a year?

kmart
Australia
Joined 5922 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 17
15 March 2011 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
With Spanish already under your belt, French grammar will be a walk in the park for you! I can't promise the same for the pronunciation though - it's nowhere near as precise as Spanish or Italian.

Learning French will definitely make Italian seem a whole lot easier - because Italian IS a whole lot easier than French. You could do quite as well going straight to Italian with your Spanish knowledge, in my humble opinion. Although they are all Romance languages, Spanish and Italian seem to have more in common with each other than with French.

On the other hand, if you do French first, then you will be able to use Assimil's "Perfectionnement Italien" after "Without Pain", as it's only available with French translation.

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5293 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 5 of 17
15 March 2011 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
It's a good idea, if you are able to discipline yourself to only study one. If you find
after some period of time that you miss studying more than one, you could switch
languages after 6 months if you can't make it the full year and just study that one.
Surely it would still be better than just studying the two together. Alternatively, you
could have a main language and a side language, where the goals for each one are not
equal (i.e. one throughout the week, one on the weekend; or one for 3 weeks, one for a
week, etc.) Regardless, plan B's aside, I think if you are able to discipline yourself
then you'll have no problem studying just the one.

By the way, welcome back to the forum man! I kinda took a bit of a pause from it too.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5179 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 17
15 March 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
I've come up with a new plan, to study one language intensely for a year (while keeping up with the previous ones) in order to get to a basic fluency or high basic fluency.

My German is coming along very well, it's much more straight forward than I first thought, and everything is making sense. By the end of the year I will have Assimil completely memorized and understood, and I will also complete FSI German, German: How to Speak and Write It, and German Made Simple. This should allow me to understand around 80%+ of what I come across, along with extra audio and vocabulary/grammar study. So I've come up with a plan, why not do this every year?

After studying Japanese for 2 years, I was probably where I was with German after 8 months. If you plan on tackling one additional language every year, make sure you stick to languages that are closely related to the ones you already know.

I don't know much about FSI, but German Made Simple and Assimil won't get you to understand 80% of what you come across, unless you only expose yourself to simple things. If I'm way off on this, please tell me, but I doubt these methods would take you past intermediate, if that.

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5470 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 8 of 17
15 March 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
www.yearlyglot.com is a blog that you might find interesting and useful (I know I have)... this guy is also learning one language each year, this year it's Turkish...

Edited by Thatzright on 15 March 2011 at 5:44pm

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version