Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Languages suited to ones personality

Tags: Personality
 Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
malakhim
Triglot
United States
Joined 4811 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese, SpanishB2
Studies: Turkish

Message 1 of 21
16 March 2011 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Do you ever think that some language are more suited to your own personality than others? Or even think thast overs are even incompatable?

I have a lot of experience in Japanese, I can both write and verbalize my thoughts fluently in this language.

However, lately I feel that the language just doesnt seem to suit my personality. The language fulfills my need to learn a character based language. I love the writing system. Learning the characters was a great motivation for me when I was studying the language actively. It also fulfills my desire to master a complete alien language distant from anything else I know.

But unfortunately there is just something about the languages personality I just cant seem to get to like.

It just seems a little lacking in assertiveness! Lately I feel that I would prefer a much more loud, boistrous, assertive, "in ya face" language, something like American English or Spanish.

No offense to Japanese men, but I think that a lot of Japanese youngsters these days speak a little girly and effeminate. That "shy schoolboy attitude" which many Japanese young men exhibit is just strange from my point of view.

In contrast the language of Korean men sounds much more manly and badass! I like languages like that.

Is the Japanese language just not suited to my personality? If so, how can I make it suit and reclaim my former love for the language?

1 person has voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 2 of 21
16 March 2011 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Sounds pretty manly to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-MSRrd41ig&feature=related

Edited by lichtrausch on 16 March 2011 at 2:30am

malakhim
Triglot
United States
Joined 4811 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese, SpanishB2
Studies: Turkish

Message 3 of 21
16 March 2011 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
Sounds pretty manly to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8dTBpdWHFw&feature=related

Yes there are certainly some manly speakers of Japanese, but lately it seems that so many young males are talking much more effeminate than what they used to. A Japanese girl I know even says that she thinks that too many young males nowdays sound a little too gay.

christian
United States
Joined 5059 days ago

111 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, German

Message 4 of 21
16 March 2011 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
I don't know about modern day speaking, but I've always pictured Japanese as pretty manly for men, and very
pleasing for a girl. I hope to learn this someday.

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5082 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 5 of 21
16 March 2011 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Toshiro Mifune makes Japanese sound like the manliest language ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG-bIljVFLw
2 persons have voted this message useful

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4890 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 6 of 21
16 March 2011 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
I find Japanese very badass if one is talking with anger.
I understood your point about today's generation, but it's not the language itself. Just watch some samurais videos and pay attention to them, specially when they're talking out loud or with anger. It sounds pretty cool I think.

Edit: I didn't see the post above mine.
It's what I'm talking about.

Edited by Matheus on 16 March 2011 at 3:34am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5575 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 21
16 March 2011 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
It's not only the language itself, but also the body language. Today there were two Japanese guys in front of me at the checkout counter and I knew they had to be Japanese just from the body language of one of them.
(I found it terribly cute, by the way.)

In German and English I can say anything I want without having to use a gendered form to refer to myself. It's painful to get to used to gendered style in another language.

LinguaMan
Diglot
United States
Joined 4884 days ago

20 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 8 of 21
16 March 2011 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Malakhim, my eyes instantly widened as soon as I saw the title for this post.:) This same thought has been running through my mind for some time now. Specifically, I've been tugging back and forth between Italian and Russian. I feel Italian fits my personality. In my opinion, it's more expressive and passion radiates through your body language when you verbalize your thoughts and feelings. You feel a deeper connection with the language when you feel it suits your personality. On the other hand, Russian satisfies my intellectual desires in much the same way Japanese satisfies yours. It has a completely different alphabet and completely different from any Latin/Roman based language in general. I don't want to abandon Russian but I am attracted to Italian more and the culture...which fits my personality.

Good post!

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version